EV buyer guidance flowchart.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gschettl

jordan minnesota 55352 (Minneapolis suburb)
I can't seem to find any good electric car buying decision tree out on the internet. Is anybody aware of one? Seems there are lots of critical decisions to make to be sure you recommend the right technology for someone's driving profile. I do this routinely for people who approach me, but I wouldn't trust a salesman of any specific brand to do this. The salespeople I've talked to still aren't convinced how amazing electrics are for those they suit. I think you need to be an electric car owner to fully appreciate them.

I'd be happy to create a flow chart but after that it'd be best to convert it to some sort of interactive or automated survey that leads you to the appropriate cars, (or at least some basic performance figures) that match your needs.

Still I can't believe I'd be the first to see this need though so I don't want to reinvent the wheel. - Gary

Don't know of any good flowchart. I'd start with something I post all the time.
Can you update your location info via User Control Panel (near top) > Profile (left side)? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

What are your daily driving needs in terms of miles? How much city vs. highway? Will you have the ability to charge at your work/destinations?
And, we'd need to ask about their home charging situation, if any.

An excellent idea, and I think that it might be very useful for thoughtful buyers who approach the decision from an open perspective. I think a flowchart would be a very good start.

I could easily set the flow-chart parameters and questions, but graphics are so not my thing (I married an artist for a reason! :D ) though. First question: Do you live in Californa - a "no" would cut off over half of the available cars, LOL.

Pipcecil said:
I could easily set the flow-chart parameters and questions, but graphics are so not my thing (I married an artist for a reason! :D ) though. First question: Do you live in Californa - a "no" would cut off over half of the available cars, LOL.
I'd make it simpler and skip cars that aren't available in California.
Suggest you give it a stab using google drawing and I or others will improve on it. Try playing around with the below drawing drawing doc:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1F0eDfOq_1nvbg6t96s2oXm0j7iM5qAlP0zWtOyYg848/edit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I took a stab at one for the LEAF a couple of years ago but the pricing is somewhat dated now (it has gone down and I didn't try to factor in leasing costs). And it was before we knew about the rapid battery degradation problem, so the range numbers are actually a bit optimistic.

Is the LEAF appropriate for you?

If someone wants to make a more useful one, good luck to him/her.

So I took a whimsical stab at it. I do appologize for the graphical content (i.e. the shapes aren't all the same size, etc.), but hey, it worked, right? :D

Anyways, I tried to come at it from a very generic regular joe point-of-view. Mostly, people care about cost and size and MPG. I didn't get down into gritty details such as the Leaf has 2 more EPA miles than the Fit, or the SAE Combo is not as readily available than CHAdeMO. Too much info for most regular people (which concurs with my discussions on most new LEAF owners).

In addition, I didn't separate specs out except for the BMW i3 - the REx is considered a plug-in hybrid so I decided to pull it out in that area. Also, I didn't include any conversion vehicles, limited runs (i.e. a couple of hand made cars) or used cars that are no longer made (Roadster, Karma, etc.).

Finally, I made the state restriction as easy as possible. I know almost all the restricted ones can be ordered and shipped to any state, but, again, I made it simple. It has to be available in that state. The only leaniancy was Tesla in Texas. But I figured it was too specific (since you have to go through hoops to get it in Texas). The only restricted cars actually list those states as the only states available. Tesla makes not statement as such.

I know there is more ways to skin these questions, but this was my take. Enjoy!

Which Plug-in is right for you?

Outstanding, Pipcecil!

It's very funny but it works and it makes good sense. I'll share it with people who ask about an EV, if you don't mind.

dhanson865 said:
work PC won't pull up that URL, I'll have to try at home.
Does this copy work for you? https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DanielCardenas/posts/c9177PKugGB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pipcecil said:
Version 2 - saw some minor edits I needed to take and changed a few answers for more quips. Mostly, I was unsatisified with the response to the BMW i3 REx, I think the response is more appropriate now. Also minor changes to using gas and the size of vehicle in the EV section.

Which Plug-in is right for you? (Version 2)
Very much enjoyed that! One typo in Version 2: "trick question" is spelled "tick question".

Back