Electrical line noise while charging at 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hill said:
I suppose -

Just the same. Think of new Leafers going to the dealer ... describing symptoms to the tech - not accessing this board ... they're pretty much hosed then ... heading back home PO'd that their dealer pooh pooh's what the dealer is likely thinking of as a non issue. Yes, you're right ... now days companies take 2 weeks to contemplate changing brands of toilet paper in the restroom. Makes you wonder how we ever got to the Moon at all ... much less in a half decade.
Forgot to reply to this earlier... as I mentioned before, the Nissan guys said the new part was already going into newer production cars. So new LEAFers shouldn't have this issue.

Christopher said:
Forgot to reply to this earlier... as I mentioned before, the Nissan guys said the new part was already going into newer production cars. So new LEAFers shouldn't have this issue.

This is why I'm quite surprised that two months after a solution was discovered that they have not resolved any of the effected vehicles.

palmermd said:
Christopher said:

This is why I'm quite surprised that two months after a solution was discovered that they have not resolved any of the effected vehicles.
I agree - how can you reconcile enough RF filters made for existing cars ... but not enough extras for those owners whose cars generate unwanted noise?

Delay was due to vacation.

Received email response. Summary: The official method is to complain to the dealer with the "noise" issue. The dealer will contact Nissan Techs as appropriate.

Sorry, but that's all I got back. I would suggest you try to directly contact the Service Manager at your dealership of choice, possibly by a personal visit. (The one at Elk Grove Nissan is GREAT.) For the "fastidious", take a printout of this thread. Let him/her know there have been specific instances of problems reported. Elk Grove Nissan in particular has upgraded one LEAF's charger due to the issue. The Nissan Technical Service Manager whose territory covers Elk Grove (Northern California) (and who is well aware) is Bill Grossi; the dealership's Service Manager should recognize that name if you're in the Bay Area or NorCal ( I don't know how large his territory is). If you're somewhere else they'll contact the appropriate Tech Manager.

Again ... the official method is to start with the dealership's service department.

Hope this helps :) And please report back on any progress for the sake of all of us ...

LEAFer said:
Again ... the official method is to start with the dealership's service department.

Hope this helps :) And please report back on any progress for the sake of all of us ...
Hmmm... and I think (not sure, didn't check) by law they have to give you your old parts from a car repair if you ask? So if anyone does this, ask for the old part, and we can at least get the part number for that. That may help in finding the part number for the new part, or maybe a few pictures, or if they hold up the service for a part, that's another excuse to ask for the new part number that's holding up your service. :)

I happen to have already made an appointment at Santa Cruz Nissan for Monday to have them look at another issue and I was going to ask about the EMI filter while I was as it.

If you're curious, the other issue is that for the past couple of months I can hear the coolant pump for the charger running whenever I turn the car on -- even if it hasn't been charging, even if tye weather is cool, even if it hasn't been recently driven and been doing regen. It's the same sound you hear when charging but I now get it all the time and it didn't do this during my first couple of months.

I'll report results on both issues when I get it back.

The cooling pump is rather quiet.
What I often hear now (for about 10 to 20 seconds) just after I start the car) is much louder, probably the radiator fans running.

No, I did not hear this in April or May, as I recall. So, it might be a "normal" ambient-temperature thing.

garygid said:
The cooling pump is rather quiet.
What I often hear now (for about 10 to 20 seconds) just after I start the car) is much louder, probably the radiator fans running.

No, I did not hear this in April or May, as I recall. So, it might be a "normal" ambient-temperature thing.
Well, perhaps I shouldn't call it the coolant pump, but what I hear now as soon as I start the car and for as long as the car remains on (not even moving) is the same sound I've always heard when charging it or after a long charging session or when I previously finished driving it with some significant regen and/or warm temperature. And it can be 50 degrees out or whatever now -- it doesn't matter. I think that whatever is used to decide when to cool is now stuck open -- bad temp sensor or something? We'll see....

Christopher said:
I happen to have already made an appointment at Santa Cruz Nissan for Monday to have them look at another issue and I was going to ask about the EMI filter while I was as it.

If you're curious, the other issue is that for the past couple of months I can hear the coolant pump for the charger running whenever I turn the car on -- even if it hasn't been charging, even if tye weather is cool, even if it hasn't been recently driven and been doing regen. It's the same sound you hear when charging but I now get it all the time and it didn't do this during my first couple of months.

I'll report results on both issues when I get it back.
I've been reluctant to report back as I'm still waiting for something useful to happen.

The dealership had to contact Nissan to find out what, if anything, to do with my car and I got it back the same day while they waited for further instruction. Later that week I was contacted by someone from Nissan that was part of the group that came to my home back in June. He wanted to confirm that I was the same owner (I've moved from San Jose to Santa Cruz) and ask again about what equipment I was using to charge the car. (And he warned again that Nissan does not recommend the usage of the upgraded EVSE. (Yes, sigh.)) He also explained that they had not yet decided how to handle customers with this EMI issue. (What's to decide? Replace the part!)

I think he also mentioned that they haven't had any other reports of the issue. (Yeah, but didn't you guys fix this for newer cars already?)

Regarding my report that the car's cooling system is now always running regardless of ambient temperature or how long since the car has been charging, he said that no trouble codes were logged so it doesn't appear to be a bad sensor as I suggested. (As a software engineer, I'm not convinced that the lack of a fault code is proof of the lack of a fault.) He suggested that maybe they would want to take another look at the car at some point.

So... I'm still waiting.

Well, I reported it to my dealer and they reported it in turn to Nissan so there is at least one more! Feel free to have them contact me if they like!

Christopher said:
I think he also mentioned that they haven't had any other reports of the issue. (Yeah, but didn't you guys fix this for newer cars already?)

garygid said:
If it does not turn off ...
Is the car in a high ambient temp?

If not, is a temp sensor broken, missing, or ...?

I lost three temp sensors in my car. Those things just go missing all the time.

LEAFer said:

Received email response. Summary: The official method is to complain to the dealer with the "noise" issue. The dealer will contact Nissan Techs as appropriate.

Sorry, but that's all I got back. I would suggest you try to directly contact the Service Manager at your dealership of choice, possibly by a personal visit. (The one at Elk Grove Nissan is GREAT.) For the "fastidious", take a printout of this thread. Let him/her know there have been specific instances of problems reported. Elk Grove Nissan in particular has upgraded one LEAF's charger due to the issue. The Nissan Technical Service Manager whose territory covers Elk Grove (Northern California) (and who is well aware) is Bill Grossi; the dealership's Service Manager should recognize that name if you're in the Bay Area or NorCal ( I don't know how large his territory is). If you're somewhere else they'll contact the appropriate Tech Manager.

Yep . . . another month has passed, and Nothing still from the powers that be.
Forgive me if I swing BACK ON TOPIC
;)
I'll be following your advise and letting the service manager know about Bill Grossi. It's a shame that everyone that ought to be able to be helpful and knowledgeable at Nissan, can't all be in the loop.

hill said:
LEAFer said:

I'll be following your advise and letting the service manager know about Bill Grossi. It's a shame that everyone that ought to be able to be helpful and knowledgeable at Nissan, can't all be in the loop.
Bill Grossi was one of the people who visited my home back in June to test their car on my electrical system and he's the person who contacted me most recently after I attempted to bring the car in to my dealer to just get it fixed -- and he's the person who told me they haven't decided what to do yet.

As I sit here listening to my speakers buzz... I think I'll try calling him back and asking again.

(a couple of minutes later)

Heh! I was expecting his voicemail as it's 6:30 pm PST but I got him on the phone. He says that they haven't forgotten about me and they still want to come out again and see and measure the situation (I've moved to a new home since June) because he says they have seen only a tiny percentage (half percent?) of customers with the issue and they're surprised that I'm encountering it again. So... back to waiting... and still buzzing.....

The industrial strength pi network toroids and decoupers I installed in the power feed to my Blink have solved the problem here. But I'd still like to have the basic problem, which is the car, resolved...

Christopher said:
Heh! I was expecting his voicemail as it's 6:30 pm PST but I got him on the phone. He says that they haven't forgotten about me and they still want to come out again and see and measure the situation (I've moved to a new home since June) because he says they have seen only a tiny percentage (half percent?) of customers with the issue and they're surprised that I'm encountering it again. So... back to waiting... and still buzzing.....

Christopher said:
...Heh! I was expecting his voicemail as it's 6:30 pm PST but I got him on the phone. He says that they haven't forgotten about me and they still want to come out again and see and measure the situation (I've moved to a new home since June) because he says they have seen only a tiny percentage (half percent?) of customers with the issue and they're surprised that I'm encountering it again. So... back to waiting... and still buzzing.....
I hope that conversation made more sense in person. He was surprised that you were still having the problem when they hadn't done anything to fix it since they measured it the last time?

davewill said:
I hope that conversation made more sense in person. He was surprised that you were still having the problem when they hadn't done anything to fix it since they measured it the last time?
He moved. The problem only seems to occur in some houses wiring and not others... The odds of him having TWO places that have the problem do seem pretty unlikely, so I'm not surprised the tech was surprised!

Back