ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my experience with the Blink<->LEAF charging options

If Blink is set to "Charge Immediately" (no timer mode) the LEAF behaves as it would if plugged into an AV or CC.
If LEAF has Timer mode programmed; need to press Timer Override button to start charging immediately.
Otherwise, blue lights just scroll, indicating valid connection with EVSE and Timer mode "ON"
Blink makes "thunk" sound when first connected in this mode then "thunks" again (relays on, then off)

If Blink is set for "Scheduled Charge" and that time has not arrived, plugging in the LEAF results in a momentary beep (from LEAF) but no "thunk" sounds. I think the beep indicates LEAF is connected (Blink screen acknowledges) but since there's no "active" connection signal, neither the LEAF scrolling lights (timer mode) nor charging lights come on.

When Blink "Scheduled Charge" time arrives, "active" connection signal happens and LEAF blue lights either
scroll while it waits for it's Timer mode to reach it's start charging time or
charging starts if Timer Override button was pressed or Timer mode is not active

In all cases, with the Blink, the charge timer clock runs whenever there's an active LEAF connection and the Blink is in charge mode (Scheduled or Immediate). This is of course, bogus since no charging is taking place if the LEAF is in Timer mode or if LEAF has completed charging. So, you can pretty much ignore the Blink charge timer clock on the screen.

As long as the Blink "Scheduled Charge" fully encompasses the LEAF Timer mode times then things work fine. I see no reason to use the Blink Scheduled Charge over the LEAFs. Except... if they get their website working so I can access my Blink from my phone or computer, I can imagine sometime wanting to Stop charging at some time before I between 80- 100% SOC. I can't do that with the Carwings (yet), so maybe this would be a useful feature from Blink.

One side note: If the Blink has lost it's WiFi connection, the button presses have a large lag to them so that it seems like it's way more unresponsive than usual. They've got too many cpu cycles tied up with the network stuff I guess so UI gets no attention when there's network issues.

As an update, the Blink did not charge my Leaf as scheduled (car timer) last night. I jimmied with the connection a bit this morning, and sure enough, I heard the THUNK and the dashboard lights started blinking. OK. So I didn't have the unit plugged in all the way. But that means there is a point where the plug is in far enough to start the charging clock on the Blink screen, but NOT in far enough to actually charge the car (or be ready to charge on the timer). How stupid is that! :shock: :evil: If the plug isn't going to give any tactile feedback when it's fully in place (a la the CLICK of the clipper creek plug), then I have to rely on the Blink screen to tell me when it's plugged in. But apparently even that is not accurate. So now I will only rely on the blinking dashboard lights.

C'mon, Ecotality and Blink! Let's get the simple things right, huh? I understand you like this unit because it provides you with all kinds of nice data, but so far the end user experience is inferior to the clipper creek unit.

WWBD said:
As an update, the Blink did not charge my Leaf as scheduled (car timer) last night. I jimmied with the connection a bit this morning, and sure enough, I heard the THUNK and the dashboard lights started blinking. OK. So I didn't have the unit plugged in all the way. But that means there is a point where the plug is in far enough to start the charging clock on the Blink screen, but NOT in far enough to actually charge the car (or be ready to charge on the timer). How stupid is that! :shock: :evil: If the plug isn't going to give any tactile feedback when it's fully in place (a la the CLICK of the clipper creek plug), then I have to rely on the Blink screen to tell me when it's plugged in. But apparently even that is not accurate. So now I will only rely on the blinking dashboard lights.
Hmmm. I just tried that test on my unit. When I plugged it in incompletely, I could duplicate your symptoms (in fact it was worse, since the Blink indicated it was plugged in). But, my Blink J1772 connector makes a definite "click" when it's got a proper connection just as the AV and ChargePoint units do. As soon as I pushed until it "clicked", charging started. Maybe it's your connector?

Another mistake I've made is partially closing the LEAF charge door so it rests on the J1772 handle. That was enough to disable the connection.

I actually like the Blink handle better than the AV & ChargePoint. Seems more rugged. YMMV

I called the Blink call center at 1-888-998-2546 and told them about my issue with the Blink yesterday. The lady said that she'd received 3 other similiar calls, so that's good. She's going to escalate my issue with the ECOtality team, so I'll keep everyone posted.

Please use the toll-free number above to report your Blink issues. Maybe we'll get some leverage and a possible firmware update for those issues that can be fixed up.

Thanks, Randy

Makes me want to make it really difficult for EVP to schedule my "upgrade" from the CC. I've had zero issue with the CC...mostly because there isn't much that can go wrong. Just seems the blink is not ready for primetime.

sparky said:
One side note: If the Blink has lost it's WiFi connection, the button presses have a large lag to them so that it seems like it's way more unresponsive than usual. They've got too many cpu cycles tied up with the network stuff I guess so UI gets no attention when there's network issues.
I guess that was what was happening with my Blink the other day. The connection now works (with a different router) - but blink fails to download and install firmware. While trying it is unresonsive to touch ...

turbo2ltr said:
Makes me want to make it really difficult for EVP to schedule my "upgrade" from the CC. I've had zero issue with the CC...mostly because there isn't much that can go wrong. Just seems the blink is not ready for primetime.

This begs the question why the EV Project in the home market, just didn't install simple CC or AV units and coordinate with the local utility to get the current vs time info they're interested in. Simpler, cheaper and works well!

I understand a complex EVSE in the commercial and public markets but not at home.

From their website: "The EV Project will collect and analyze data to characterize vehicle use in diverse topographic and climatic conditions, evaluate the effectiveness of charge infrastructure, and conduct trials of various revenue systems for commercial and public charge infrastructure"

syntaxerror said:
turbo2ltr said:

This begs the question why the EV Project in the home market, just didn't install simple CC or AV units and coordinate with the local utility to get the current vs time info they're interested in. Simpler, cheaper and works well!

I understand a complex EVSE in the commercial and public markets but not at home.

From their website: "The EV Project will collect and analyze data to characterize vehicle use in diverse topographic and climatic conditions, evaluate the effectiveness of charge infrastructure, and conduct trials of various revenue systems for commercial and public charge infrastructure"

Two words:

Government Contract.

To someone who has a Blink installed. What is the FCC ID listed on the unit? Can you take a picture of the sticker that has the FCC ID? Please white out any s/n or specific info to you. Thanks!

So you Blink owners have connected to your wi-fi? I was told not to. Of course I tried anyway but it says that my password is wrong. I'm 100% certain that my password is correct - even tried resetting it and reconnecting from our other wi-fi peripherals in the house (ipad, etc.). So, I just figured it wasn't working yet.
Mine works fine otherwise. Easy to plug in and a nice clicking sound. I hear the "thunk" just like the Clipper Creek when I plug in and another "thunk" a few seconds later when it turns off to wait for its start time. I'm using the Leaf timer only and like others have noted, the time shown on the screen is messed up and seems to reset at some point during the night too. And, when it is done it shows incorrect information about when the charging was started/stopped. I'm pretty sure that it is actually charging at the correct times though. I have it set to start at 10:10 pm and I can go out there and see it charging away after that time. But, in the morning it will say that charging started at 2am or something goofy. Yes, my time is set correctly. :)
Without wifi connected, I have no way to get updated firmware, so I'm wondering if I am missing out.

One other issue that I don't think I've seen mentioned: When you are setting your different rates for TOU plans, it doesn't let you set a separate rate for Saturday and Sunday. Your choices are "Weekend" or "Weekday" only. Doesn't work for me where I have different rates on Saturday and Sunday.

Otherwise, it seems nice. Looking forward to getting an update that will have a sleep mode!

dyhopper said:
So you Blink owners have connected to your wi-fi? I was told not to. Of course I tried anyway but it says that my password is wrong. I'm 100% certain that my password is correct - even tried resetting it and reconnecting from our other wi-fi peripherals in the house (ipad, etc.). So, I just figured it wasn't working yet.
Do you mean connecting Blink to home wi-fi or connecting from your home netowrk into Blink ?

I can do both. But, I can't get into "settings" tab of Blink from home PC/network. It says wrong password.

evnow said:
dyhopper said:
Do you mean connecting Blink to home wi-fi or connecting from your home netowrk into Blink ?

I can do both. But, I can't get into "settings" tab of Blink from home PC/network. It says wrong password.

Connecting Blink to home wi-fi. Strange that you can do it and I can't. I wonder if I already have outdated firmware (mine is version L2r.1.2a) I can see my home network on the screen (as well as my neighbors), but it won't take my password. Maybe I'll unprotect the network for a bit and see if that works.

dyhopper said:
Connecting Blink to home wi-fi. Strange that you can do it and I can't. I wonder if I already have outdated firmware (mine is version L2r.1.2a) I can see my home network on the screen (as well as my neighbors), but it won't take my password. Maybe I'll unprotect the network for a bit and see if that works.
Interesting. What router do you have - what security have you setup (try WPA-PSK). Ofcourse, first yoy try without security.

I had problems with my router - though not this problem - had to change the router to make it work.

syntaxerror said:
To someone who has a Blink installed. What is the FCC ID listed on the unit? Can you take a picture of the sticker that has the FCC ID? Please white out any s/n or specific info to you. Thanks!

Some very nice person PM'ed me with two FCC IDs posted on the blink:
J9CCASTRAWOZB
Edit: Qualcomm CDMA Modem Module.

R8KUGWDS82
This is a unigen wifi b/g/n module. It appears like the module had to get re-certified due to the changes made on the blink. The neat thing is that unigen used the actual Blink EVSE for FCC Part 15 ceritification so we have one internal picture of the blink.
blinkinternal.jpg

In addition here's a PDF of the radiated testing for Part 15
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplicationAttachment.html?id=1394354

The internal pictures confirm the existance of a microSD card, USB, Ethernet, Cellular modem. I wish the picture was clearer to identify ASICS. It also appears like this board resides just behind the LCD.

syntaxerror said:
The internal pictures confirm the existance of a microSD card, USB, Ethernet, Cellular modem. I wish the picture was clearer to identify ASICS. It also appears like this board resides just behind the LCD.
Very cool. So, apparently unigen b/g/n doesn't like my AirLink b/g/(draft)n router. Wonder why ....

evnow said:
syntaxerror said:
Very cool. So, apparently unigen b/g/n doesn't like my AirLink b/g/(draft)n router. Wonder why ....
Software my dear watson. If you could only just get into the unit and do an iwconfig yourself :).

The main processor looks like a Freescale i.mx and is very popular in the embedded linux community. Has anyone port scanned the Blink to see if telnet or ftp is open? Heck maybe they left a gdb server going!

syntaxerror said:
This is a cellular module made by a company that will remain nameless for obvious reasons. I had no idea this module was in the blink. You can go look it up in the FCC database.
For the life of me, I can't figure out the "obvious reasons" it should remain nameless. It's public information.
Indeed, it's been in press releases:
http://www.fiercetelecom.com/press_releases/qualcomm-and-ecotality-enable-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-cellular-connectivit
The CDMA (Sprint) module contains a Qualcomm modem, like the Kindle.

Except that the Kindle is GSM...

GroundLoop said:
http://www.fiercetelecom.com/press_releases/qualcomm-and-ecotality-enable-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-cellular-connectivit
The CDMA (Sprint) module contains a Qualcomm modem, like the Kindle.

Back