ECOtality Level 2 charger : Blink

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mogur said:
Except that the Kindle is GSM...

GroundLoop said:
http://www.fiercetelecom.com/press_releases/qualcomm-and-ecotality-enable-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-cellular-connectivit
The CDMA (Sprint) module contains a Qualcomm modem, like the Kindle.

They started out using sprint.

Ahh, yes; I forgot about the old Kindles before the international versions... My wife and I didn't enter Kindle-land until the third generation...

turbo2ltr said:
mogur said:
Except that the Kindle is GSM...

GroundLoop said:
http://www.fiercetelecom.com/press_releases/qualcomm-and-ecotality-enable-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-cellular-connectivit
The CDMA (Sprint) module contains a Qualcomm modem, like the Kindle.

They started out using sprint.

ts31825 said:
Got the Blink unit installed tonight...I really miss the simplicity of the Clipper Creek unit...and the length of the cord. The cord on my unit is barely 17 feet from the base of the unit to the tip of the plug. If the cord were truly 18 feet my initial impression of the unit would have been better.

Well I will give a couple of days before I start to whine.

Glen

I agree Glen. Immediate whining is appropriate. What we got is more (stuff we don't need) but certainly not better. If I could only change one thing it would be a Leaf charge set-point to 90%. Oh, yeah, and give me back the Clipper Creek unit with the nice cord. Oh well... what do I want for free, my money back?

Malcolm :geek:

Ha Ha...Now I don't have to turn the light on in the garage when I go out there to get a tool or something cuz the Blink is lighting the night for me.... :)

evnow said:
Talked to CSR and we tried a bunch of things (Like trying WPA2 instead of just WPA etc). From the router log it looks like there is a communication problems - and I see some errors on blink as well in the log. CSR wanted me to try a few more things - but no time today. Need to head back to work ...

Any more comments from anyone on the best setup in anticipation of a Blink install, specifically regarding wireless? Our network is currently languishing with WEP (we had some really old laptops, no longer in service), but I plan to change to WPA(2|PSK?) before our install on Friday.

wsbca said:
... but I plan to change to WPA(2|PSK?) before our install on Friday.
Blink doesn't support WPA2. It only supports WPA-PSK (or WEP). BTW, the other thing is the signal strength. Check it out using a laptop or smart phone.

evnow said:
wsbca said:
... but I plan to change to WPA(2|PSK?) before our install on Friday.
Blink doesn't support WPA2. It only supports WPA-PSK (or WEP). BTW, the other thing is the signal strength. Check it out using a laptop or smart phone.

Oh boy. Is there a ethernet connection?

Mine's on Wifi with WEP. The Blink connects to an Airport Extreme located ~40 ft and two exterior walls away; configured as a network extender. I can access from a browser in my house (on my network) and change settings via an "intranet" password on the Blink. This version of SW (L2R.1.2A) is much better than the two previous I was running. However, it still "Power Faults" about 1/week; when that happens I have to go out to the garage and touch the screen to reset. Also, the menu stuff via the browser can be painfully slow to respond sometimes... I was hoping for some relief from the slow touch screen! But, for some reason it seems pretty snappy if I've logged in with my password (necessary to access Settings).

Per EVDriver's comment: I think if you can Ethernet connect your Blink you'll be happier. Not really an option for me.

evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
Not on the outside. What they want to do is to use powerline later on ... so wireless is temporary.
Really? So you CANNOT run ethernet? I have a problem with this. In my assessment I stated I would run ethernet to the device.

They're spec sheet states: "LAN capable". In addition there is an ethernet connector inside the box!!!

I am treading on thin ice here----not very computer literate. But, I do have a simple (I think) question. When I get my Leaf, and the Blink charging station in the garage, will I have to leave my router powered up 24/7? I often go several days without using my computer, so I have been turning off the power to the computer and router to save electricity. I'm really "thrifty" regarding electricity consumption.

Shouldn't be a problem. The Blink seems to go out and check the server every few minutes. Looking for firmware updates etc. My WiFi link to the Blink has been down for more than a day and the rest of the operation (charging the LEAF) were normal.

syntaxerror said:
evnow said:
EVDRIVER said:
Not on the outside. What they want to do is to use powerline later on ... so wireless is temporary.
Really? So you CANNOT run ethernet? I have a problem with this. In my assessment I stated I would run ethernet to the device.

They're spec sheet states: "LAN capable". In addition there is an ethernet connector inside the box!!!

Can someone post a picture of the bottom of a blink? I think it just helps the connectivity argument. Thanks!!!

syntaxerror said:

There is no LAN port outside. The image posted earlier showed an ethernet port - so I think when they come to install, they should be able to run a cable.

ps : why not use a simple wireless accesspoint ?

update : There is an external ethernet port under the black rubber cover.

evnow said:
syntaxerror said:

There is no LAN port outside. The image posted earlier showed an ethernet port - so I think when they come to install, they should be able to run a cable.

ps : why not use a simple wireless accesspoint ?
1) Is isn't secure. WPA v1 and/or WEP are not secure. I run WPAv2 enterprise/Radius here at home.

2) Why not ethernet? It works extremely well and was advertised as an available interface.

If you look underneath you will see a black rubber cover. Opening up that cover you will find a CAT5 jack. That will be for the wired LAN option some will be using.

Skywagon said:
If you look underneath you will see a black rubber cover. Opening up that cover you will find a CAT5 jack. That will be for the wired LAN option some will be using.
I should try that. Not that I want to run a cable ...

derkraut said:
I am treading on thin ice here----not very computer literate. But, I do have a simple (I think) question. When I get my Leaf, and the Blink charging station in the garage, will I have to leave my router powered up 24/7? I often go several days without using my computer, so I have been turning off the power to the computer and router to save electricity. I'm really "thrifty" regarding electricity consumption.
My EV Project agreement says I "Will allow ECOtality to use Participant's in-home Internet connection, and will maintain an in-home Internet connection, to transmit Data from the Equipment to ECOtality". It's not clear whether they are looking for 24/7 connectivity or just once or twice a day when it actually has some data to send.

In any case your router probably draws no more than 10-20 watts, and your computer draws maybe 10x as much. So if ECOtality insists they want a connection all the time in order to give you the free charger, you can rest easy knowing your big savings comes from suspending the computer(s) not the router. The bad news is I understand the EVSE itself draws quite a bit of power while "off."

About 11-12 watts. Hardly what I would call a lot...

walterbays said:
In any case your router probably draws no more than 10-20 watts, and your computer draws maybe 10x as much. So if ECOtality insists they want a connection all the time in order to give you the free charger, you can rest easy knowing your big savings comes from suspending the computer(s) not the router. The bad news is I understand the EVSE itself draws quite a bit of power while "off."

Every 15 minutes the Blink log shows that it goes out to look for new firmware. Not sure why that is necessary.

At some point when thousands of units roll out, they're all going to download firmware within 15 minutes? Hmm....

Back