DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated Jan 12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
I took a look at a couple of 2012 LEAFs at a dealer here in San Jose today, and none of them had this piece, so the idea of a reenforcement to prevent snow intrusion has merit.

We don't get much snow here. :)

We are a bit low on snow here, too, but we get more than San Fran Bay. Since my car has this, I'll bet the manufacturer date is controlling. I doubt Nissan considers San Diego the snow belt, and I got it from the highest volume LEAF dealer in San Diego (and probably all of California, except maybe Fontana).

Does the bolt (that connects the horn bracket strap to the frame) thread into
a captive nut?

Or, does one loosen the bolt using its head and then take the nut off from
the radiator side?

Is this a one-hand job, or does it require two arms (and hands)?

It appears that I could only get one arm (thus one hand) down from the top.

Gary, it is a captive nut.

You'll probably need both hands to unplug the stock wiring, to hold the new horns in place, and start the bolt. I was able to get both my arms down there, one on each side of the centerline of the car. Going in from under the car would have been a whole lot easier except I have the extra "snow" panel that I couldn't figure how to get out.

For me, one arm has only limited mobility, so I might need to draft some help.
Oh well, I will wait until it cools off a bit.

Mostly, I hate to bend the cooling fins on the radiator.

garygid said:
For me, one arm has only limited mobility, so I might need to draft some help.
Oh well, I will wait until it cools off a bit.

Mostly, I hate to bend the cooling fins on the radiator.
I "thread" the bolt through both horn straps (with the horn on them) then, holding the whole deal with one hand, put the bolt into the hole and start the bolt in for a thread or two. You can probably also do that with one hand; I do, but I am more dextrous than most people.

Yes, that is my plan.

How much room is there behind the horns... so that the horn-mounting
stud and nuts on the back side of the horn do not hit the radiator?

Would it be best to slide a piece of cardboard behind the horn(s)
to protect the radiator fins?

garygid said:
Yes, that is my plan.

Would it be best to slide a piece of cardboard behind the horn(s)
to protect the radiator fins?

That might be a good idea. While there is room to do the work, the radiator fins are very soft and even a small change in the angle of the fins is immediately visible as a "dark" or "shiny" spot. Even though I was being extra careful to avoid contact (or maybe BECAUSE I was being extra careful), I ended up bumping it a couple of times. Only a cosmetic issue since the cooling capacity wasn't really affected in any meaningful way. But of course it IS possible to do more damage were you to lose your grip on the wrench, flail to catch it, etc... The cardboard sounds like good insurance.

garygid said:
The mounting bolt is the stock bolt; it does not touch the radiator. In any case, I wouldn't worry about bending a fin or two. The radiator gets hit by road debris and its fins get bent even if one does nothing to it; look at the radiator on an older car.

garygid said:
Does the bolt (that connects the horn bracket strap to the frame) thread into
a captive nut?
I have not looked closely, but it's either a captive nut in the back of the radiator/horn/sensor mounting bracket (it's not really "the frame"), or that the bracket is threaded. But in any case, there is no nut to fiddle with, just the one 12mm bolt.

pchilds said:
Is the stock horn circiut good for ten amps?
Yes. Or rather, the stock horn's fuse is a 10 amps fuse, so I assume yes. The Fiamm El Grande also draws 10 amps.

OrientExpress said:
UPDATE JAN 12 - Revised instructions for dealing with the coolant overflow tank. Clarified horn wiring.
UPDATE - added instructions for access from under the car, and a video of before and after.

I don't know what it is with the horns on Hybrids and other Eco cars. They all seem to have horns that were designed by Droopy Dawg. For me that just does not work, I want a horn that shouts respect when I am in the Slow lane and someone tries to mix it up with me!

In the past my weapon of choice has been the 118db Hella SuperTone Twin Horn Kit. These bad boys will make a dead person jump!

But at the recommendation of several of my Leaf owner friends, I decided to try the FIAMM 74100 El Grande - Twin Horns. At $16.60, they are a real value, they sound like my old 68 Buick, blast at 110db, and have a real tone of refinement. These horns are PnP, and don't need a relay to operate.

SNIP

"Horns before and after"

I just had my stock horn replaced with the Fiamm. To me, a 100% waste of money. They do not even list the db, probably as it is hardly different from the stock ones! I may get the Hella ... and waste more money?

sp4rk said:
I just had my stock horn replaced with the Fiamm. To me, a 100% waste of money. They do not even list the db, probably as it is hardly different from the stock ones! I may get the Hella ... and waste more money?

I'm tempted to ask if you trust that whoever you had do the work for you actually did what you paid them for?

The other possibilty, if this is a new LEAF, is that maybe Nissan has finally gotten around to heeding our advice and has already fitted a louder horn from the one on the 2011 cars.

sp4rk said:

Per Fiamm's website: http://www.fiamm.com/Horns-El-Grande-Twin---P-N-74100-Twin-Electric-Horns-Zone-21-typeLBU84L110A127-Prod-997-561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cover Color
Red
Dimensions (L x W x D)
3 7/8 x 3 3/4 x 3 1/2
Min. Db Rating @ 4 inches

Power Source
12V
Frequency
405-485
Current Draw (AMPS)

Unless Nissan made a recent change, the "stock ones" is just ONE weak meep-meep horn and the difference is like night and day.

These are just like the horns I got from ebay last year. Mounted on a bracket that fits perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-OEM-DUAL-HORN-ASSEMBLY-6L2Z-13832-AB-/230693199448?forcev4exp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or search item# 230693199448

Leafboy said:
These are just like the horns I got from ebay last year. Mounted on a bracket that fits perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-OEM-DUAL-HORN-ASSEMBLY-6L2Z-13832-AB-/230693199448?forcev4exp=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I doubt seriously that Nissan changed their stock horn. It is definitely "meep".

The sound is different but hardly "compelling".

The dealer replaced it. I do wonder if they accidentally connected only one horn, as the audio I hear from it differs from the audio in the video here. So I will take it back and ask them to check.

The dealer replaced it. I do wonder if they accidentally connected only one horn, as the audio I hear from it differs from the audio in the video here. So I will take it back and ask them to check.

You may be onto something there...I can' see a dealership wanting to modify the stock wiring on a customer's vehicle. I'll bet any money they didn't make up a set of pigtails and did indeed only hook up the one horn they could with the stock wiring.

sp4rk said:
Leafboy said:

I doubt seriously that Nissan changed their stock horn. It is definitely "meep".

I feel so stupid ... they DID only install one horn!!! Took a flashlight to the grille this morning.
So, where's the other horn, guys? Huh?

sp4rk said:
sp4rk said:
Leafboy said:

I feel so stupid ... they DID only install one horn!!! Took a flashlight to the grille this morning.
So, where's the other horn, guys? Huh?
They probably kept it! Go back and raise hell.

Leafboy said:
They probably kept it! Go back and raise hell.
So I went back ...

Ask what had happened ... they asked the mechanic ... who apparently claimed that he HAD installed both of them; one where you can see it, the other, way over to the "right".

Service and I looked for it. Where?

Then I pressed the horn button a couple of times and asked the service rep if he thought he heard one horn or two ... "erm, one."

So I am bringing the car back in Tuesday (they were v busy given it's a Saturday and this is NOT important :) ) ... to have them "find" the "lost" horn.

Back at home, with a flashlight, I looked at the one I can see and it looks like no extension wire going anywhere but I am really not sure I know what I am looking for.

Nor am I stupid!

Back