Disable Autolock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roseayars

Does anyone know how to disable my doors from locking automatically? I keep wondering how I would ever have to get out of the car if the electrical system failed.

For years, it has been recommended that you travel with doors lock. In a bad accident/rollover etc the doors are less likely to fly open and pin the person under the car or pin an arm under the car. If that worries you carry an"escape hammer" and have it attached to your console. My father drilled that in to use in the 60's and I saw it in action when a car flipped at 65 mph in front of us. Doors stayed closed, occupants had 3 pt harness (car was a Volvo, the 1st Mfg to put them in cars) and were unhurt. Car ended up on its side. Enough people stopped and we were able to flip the car back on its wheels. Car drove away with a bent antenna and wipers. Sold me on 3 pt harness and keeping doors locked.
Your car, your choice (just as it is to wear belts) but I have spent 25 years on the road as an OTR trucker also drove a tow truck, and seen many accidents, the ones with good outcomes are the ones that the occupants are buckled in and the doors stayed closed.

Does anyone know how to disable my doors from locking automatically? I keep wondering how I would ever have to get out of the car if the electrical system failed.
Try this and let us know if it works. "Turn the car on and then hold down the lock/unlock button in the lock direction for about 5 seconds until it beeps and the parking lights flash. Holding it down in the unlock direction triggers the auto unlock with car off on and off..."

And how is someone rescuing the occupants supposed to get the locked door open from the outside if the occupants can't do it from the inside? Don't tell me we should wait for the rescue crew with something to break the windows.

This is one of the few features of my wife's 2020 Leaf that I hate (*). And finding the unlock button in the dark is not easy for people not familiar with the car. I more often hit the window button instead of the unlock switch. And then my wife still needs to turn the car off so I can open the back door even though I'll be getting back in within 2 minutes.

I don't. and won't, live somewhere that I have to worry about someone breaking into the car at a red light. If I have to drive through such an area I know how to lock the doors. At the very least if the damn thing can lock when you go faster than 15 is should be able to unlock when you drop below that speed.

* the other is the location and size of the cabin air filter door. I can change the filter in any of the various models of Prius we have owned since 2004 in 2 minutes or less with no tools. The leaf requires pulling a panel off under the glove box and pretty much requires taking out said box by removing a number of screws. And even then you need to be pretty flexible to even hope to see what you are doing. Minimum 20 minutes.

I had to look at my car before I said for sure.
Those of you who are worried about be trapped, at least in 2015 they still have the manual lever/knob over the inside door release, you can unlock without any power. So yet another "non-issue".

Back