DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aww - so sad when you see that first bar go :cry:

I find it odd that leafspy had your capacity 3% lower than what your car reads, it could mean your gauge is optomistic on the capcity - bleh.

I will say the hardest to thing to get used to is the re-calibration of the fuel bars. The car will reassig the power per bar. You will have to learn your range all over again if you use the fuel bars at all. After 3 bars gone, the flux was so bad, I relied more on the GOM since I couldn't keep up with the change on the fuel bars.

Pipcecil said:
aww - so sad when you see that first bar go :cry:

I find it odd that leafspy had your capacity 3% lower than what your car reads, it could mean your gauge is optomistic on the capcity - bleh.

I will say the hardest to thing to get used to is the re-calibration of the fuel bars. The car will reassig the power per bar. You will have to learn your range all over again if you use the fuel bars at all. After 3 bars gone, the flux was so bad, I relied more on the GOM since I couldn't keep up with the change on the fuel bars.

Since I rarely push it to the lower levels, I've never really paid much attention to the fuel bars. And because my efficiency (4.5m/kWh) is so predictable day in and day out, the GOM is usually pretty accurate as compared to the predicted range of the Leaf Spy Pro. So between those two, I should be ok with the reassignment of the fuel bars info. :)

We just traded in our 2011 last night for a 2014. Now we finally have that DC quick charge port. So we should be able to travel anywhere around DF/W. I'll be using more of that public infrastructure now.

adric22 said:
We just traded in our 2011 last night for a 2014. Now we finally have that DC quick charge port. So we should be able to travel anywhere around DF/W. I'll be using more of that public infrastructure now.

Congrats! :)

adric22 said:

:mrgreen: So jealous!

Was your lease up or did you trade in and purchase (or lease) the 2014? I am curious if I could do the same for mine, but I doubt it would cover the remainder of my loan - I didn't put a large chunk down.

Pipcecil said:
Was your lease up or did you trade in and purchase (or lease) the 2014? I am curious if I could do the same for mine, but I doubt it would cover the remainder of my loan - I didn't put a large chunk down.
Our lease still had 5 months but Nissan waived 3 months and the disposition fee. The dealership rolled the extra 2 months into our new payment. Still resulting in a significant savings over the old payment.

adric22 said:

Question for a newbie to the Board Gurus.....
I have repeatedly reviewed the owners manual regarding the charging of our 2013 Leaf. Nissan seems to be really pushing for charging by a Level 2 charging station. In one place in my manual, it states that repeated trickle charging can damage the battery. In another place, it states that repeated charging by high charge stations can damage the battery.

We LOVE using the Freedom Stations with high charge. It is fast and convenient. However, we don't want to damage our little Leaf.

If they don't want us to use the high voltage charger, why put it in the car?? (**** grrrrr grinding of teeth sounds ****)

Second question: do ALL Nissan dealers in Texas have charging stations that we can use?? I read in the BBC that 2 guys (an actor and his friend) drove from Edinburgh, Scotland to London, a distance of 600 miles. I was wondering is it possible to hit Blink, eVgo, Chargpoint, and Nissan dealers and say drive to San Antonio or Houston and back?? Just a challenge!

EVthinker said:
Question for a newbie to the Board Gurus.....
I have repeatedly reviewed the owners manual regarding the charging of our 2013 Leaf. Nissan seems to be really pushing for charging by a Level 2 charging station. In one place in my manual, it states that repeated trickle charging can damage the battery. In another place, it states that repeated charging by high charge stations can damage the battery.
I've never heard of anyone suggesting the trickle charge could damage the battery. The main reason Nissan doesn't recommend using it has more to do with customer experience than anything else. I think Nissan has now said that 1 quick-charge per day should be fine and not damage the car.

Second question: do ALL Nissan dealers in Texas have charging stations that we can use?? I read in the BBC that 2 guys (an actor and his friend) drove from Edinburgh, Scotland to London, a distance of 600 miles. I was wondering is it possible to hit Blink, eVgo, Chargpoint, and Nissan dealers and say drive to San Antonio or Houston and back?? Just a challenge!

All Nissan dealers should have at least the level-2 chargers, a few of them are now getting the quick chargers too.
I looked into a trip from Ft.Worth to Austin. It is possible for sure, but unfortunately there are no quick chargers outside of the metroplex. The one is Burleson would be the last stop. Everything else would require a level-2 charge along the way. If you at least have the upgraded 6.6kwh charger in the car, that would reduce your stops to 2-3 hours, though.

There is no effect on the battery for a level 1 vs a level 2 charge. The only difference is time to charge and efficiency (level 2 is slightly more efficient). As for the QC, the "damage" is MOSTLY related to heat (was pretty much confirmed by a Nissan tech). QCing causing quite a bit of heat and, as we know, heat is the #1 killer along with cycling (how many uses of the battery). QCing more than once per day = more heat and more battery cycling. On days like today, the heat is probably a good thing, but in August, not so much.

QCing more than once a day every day (like for work) is probably not a good thing. QCing twice in a day once or twice a month is not really a big issue. QCing 9 times a day would also be cause for worry.

In my opinion, charge away!

Ok lots of updates. I spend an inordinate amount of time tracking down independent stations, which are REALLY hard to do. But, it yielded quite a few new ones and some mods to existing ones. Interesting stuff this week included three CHAdemO stations at dealerships, all independent. The Texas Nissan is 100% confirmed operation and independent, the other two...well...harder to tell from the info. Also, First BMW dealership posting stations due to the i3, one station out in the boonies that for some reason has a full J1772 (Mineral Wells), and finally a location that installed a public HPWC for the Model S.

Modifications:
Auto Nation Nissan – Lewisville (independent): DC Fast (CHAdeMO) station added
Texas Nissan of Grapevine (independent): DC Fast (CHAdeMO) station added
Trophy Nissan (independent): DC Fast (CHAdeMO) station added
Don Davis Nissan (independent): one level 2 (J1772) added
Orr Nissan of Corinth (independent): one level 2 (J1772) added
Courtyard by Marriot (GE): two level 2 (J1772) added

New Stations:

BMW of Dallas
ChargePoint – Four Level 2 (J1772)
6200 Lemmon Avenue
Dallas, TX 75209

Bill Utter Ford
Independent – One Level 2 (J1772)
4901 South IH 35E
Denton, TX 76210

Don Herring Mitsubishi – Irving
Independent – Two Level 2 (J1772)
2901 West Airport Freeway
Irving, TX 75062

Action Service & Electric
3101 Mh 379
Mineral Wells, TX 76067

AMLI on Maple
Independent – Two Level 2 (J1772)
6008 Maple Avenue
Dallas, TX 75235
RESTRICTED ACCESS (2 OF 2)

Apex Express, Inc.
Independent – One Level 2 (Tesla HPWC – Model S)
2619 Brenner Drive
Dallas, TX 75220

Preston Park Financial Center
4965 Preston Park Boulevard
Plano, TX 75093

Don Herring Mitsubishi – Plano
4225 West Plano Parkway
Plan, TX 75093

New updates - all modifications (nothing new)

Trophy Nissan's CHAdeMO station is part of eVgo, not independent

Texas Nissan of Grapevine's CHAdeMO station WILL be part of eVgo, currently the dealership has elected to leave the station on (working) while eVgo installs its operating software. Once eVgo installs it, you will need to use your eVgo fob to access.

AutoNation Nissan of Lewisville - added a second Level 2 (J1772)

Pipcecil said:
New updates - all modifications (nothing new)

Trophy Nissan's CHAdeMO station is part of eVgo, not independent

Texas Nissan of Grapevine's CHAdeMO station WILL be part of eVgo, currently the dealership has elected to leave the station on (working) while eVgo installs its operating software. Once eVgo installs it, you will need to use your eVgo fob to access.

These stations being converted to eVgo... Are they still free to use? If so, will eVgo be giving keyfobs to people who want to use them?

Well, looks like we'll be headed to PA sooner than we thought. Our house went under contract after the very first showing, and we'll be closing and headed to PA on 3-28-14. The LEAF will be taken up there via car transport truck.

adric22 said:
These stations being converted to eVgo... Are they still free to use? If so, will eVgo be giving keyfobs to people who want to use them?

You still will be required to enroll in eVgo's program to utilize the stations. But will the dealerships have fobs and allow people to charge for free? I have no idea. I don't know how the dealerships (and eVgo) are handling it. I am suspecting its similar to the park n fly. You still need your fob to and charge (i.e. be apart of eVgo program), but the business has a fob for emergency cases.

That said, Texas Nissan of Grapevine's unit is operational and free until the eVgo software is installed. I am guessing it will be eVgo operational within a week or so, software isn't a big issue I don't think.

vrwl said:
Well, looks like we'll be headed to PA sooner than we thought. Our house went under contract after the very first showing, and we'll be closing and headed to PA on 3-28-14. The LEAF will be taken up there via car transport truck.

Wow, that is quick. A little over a month away. Enjoy this warm weather while it last :D

New updates - ChargePoint has been busy:

2 removals and 4 new station locations:

Shops at Highland Village (Blink) and Hickory Creek Plaza (Blink) – have been removed from their online system.

New locations:

Autobahn BMW
ChargePoint – Two Level 2 (J1772)
2824 White Settlement Road
Fort Worth, TX 76107

Renaissance Tower
ChargePoint – Two Level 2 (J1772)
1201 Pacific Avenue
Dallas, TX 75223

Classic BMW
ChargePoint – Four Level 2 (J1772)
6800 Dallas Parkway
Plano, TX 75024

The Barn Yard at Light Farms
ChargePoint – One Level 2 (J1772)
3946 County Road 51
Prosper, TX 75078

Pipcecil said:
You still will be required to enroll in eVgo's program to utilize the stations. But will the dealerships have fobs and allow people to charge for free? I have no idea. I don't know how the dealerships (and eVgo) are handling it.
I emailed evgo about it a week ago and still haven't heard back.

Updates for this week

2 modifications and 2 new stations:

Modifications:
Changed the names of two TXU stations in McKinney:

City of McKinney - Senior Center
City of McKinney - Development Center

These names are more accurate than the previous ones.

Two new stations added:

Let’s Do Lunch
Blink – Two Level 2 (J1772)
1720 Regal Row
Dallas, TX 75235

Telecore
Blink – Two Level 2 (J1772)
1600 Jay Ell Drive
Richardson, TX 75081
RESTRICTED ACCESS (2 OF 2)

Pipcecil, thanks for all of your effort on this.

I work at Texas Instruments and have used some of the chargers there. Just thought you'd want to make some corrections about restricted access.

The TI Baylor Health Center chargers are NOT restricted access.

Also, all 4 of the charging areas across the street inside TI should be restricted access. Right now only one of the 4 is marked as such.

-Alan

Oh.. by the way, I finally got an answer from EVGO on the Chademo stations at dealers that are converting to EVGO. They said that walk-up customers would still be able to use the station without an EVGO membership, but it would cost them $9.95.

Back