depth of charge differs 120 and 240

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thankyouOB

something I have observed and I have no explanation for it.
car is 2 years old and 25k.
i get a more complete charge to 80% when i plug in 120 L1 at work than when i plug in and charge 240 L2 overnight at home.

I judge that by how far i go on the 9 and 10 bars. it is close to 12 miles leaving work and close to 9 bars going to work. the terrain is similar and this WAS NOT the response i got a year ago.

any reason for this quirky of batter chemistry that we know of?

Not sure it's a "quirk of battery chemistry" so much as the car probably triggers the "stop charge" threshold faster on L2 than L1. Electronic detection circuits like that have something called hysteresis.

Stanton said:
Not sure it's a "quirk of battery chemistry" so much as the car probably triggers the "stop charge" threshold faster on L2 than L1. Electronic detection circuits like that have something called hysteresis.

Also perhaps it is slightly warmer in the day, allowing more energy to be stored in the battery.

Perhaps a different deframbulizer corrector setting?
No, just joking... :lol:

Really tough to tell without access to more data, like
the GIDs or SOC after each charge. Many very subtle
conditions can change the performance that you get.

The temperature of the battery while charging, for example,
or the amount of time that passes between the completion
of charging and tested driving, and whether the EVSE
remains active during that time. Equalization could be different.

WetEV said:
Stanton said:

Also perhaps it is slightly warmer in the day, allowing more energy to be stored in the battery.

overnight charging is 5 bars on temp, while the daytime garage raises the battery to 6 bars on temp.
that is clearly one thing.
that would result in more capacity in battery, is my understanding, from the comments.

the car waits after charging longer overnight, perhaps 3 hours longer.

thankyouOB said:
something I have observed and I have no explanation for it.
car is 2 years old and 25k.
i get a more complete charge to 80% when i plug in 120 L1 at work than when i plug in and charge 240 L2 overnight at home.

I judge that by how far i go on the 9 and 10 bars. it is close to 12 miles leaving work and close to 9 bars going to work. the terrain is similar and this WAS NOT the response i got a year ago.

any reason for this quirky of batter chemistry that we know of?

Some other thoughts:

#1: Are you leaving work sooner after the charging stopped? (In other words did it have longer to "self drain" at home before you headed out?)
#2: Could the heater be running in the morning when you first set out from home?
(Do you leave your temp set to 60 degrees and make sure that the A/C button is NOT on?
Do you use the defroster in the morning?
You could check the energy screen to see if climate control is using more power in either situation.)

Could the power usage be higher per mile leaving home than coming back from work?
Faster speeds? For instance if you were closer to the freeway at home than at work?
Do you spend more time in traffic or at slower speeds when you first leave work (which would cause lower power/mile consumption)?

I think it's futile to think about these things until you have the ability to read the temperature and GID counts. Using the GOMs just doesn't give you accurate enough insight.

120 volt charging gives the battery more time to balance right? But temperature sounds like a major reason.

Back