Delivery of May 2011 Orders

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does the journey from Japan take? I've only seen the ships when they've been tracking at < 20 knots and are pretty close to port. Do they ever get faster than that?

My db just went from "week of Sept. 5" to "week of Sept. 12". I was told that it's "on a truck (left Long Beach)" with an arrival date of Sept. 9, but I'm still having a hard time believing it takes > 3 weeks to get to Texas. However, this latest change seems to line up with the "arrival date" I was given by CS; obviously the dealer would need another day (or two) to get it ready for delivery.

KeithFrechette said:
How long does the journey from Japan take? I've only seen the ships when they've been tracking at < 20 knots and are pretty close to port. Do they ever get faster than that?

I read somewhere on the net that a freighter takes about 15 days to go from Japan to LA.

KeithFrechette said:

The max speed on the World Spirit and Luna Spirit are 18.8 knots. Thats only 21.6 mph. Could you imagine traveling that distance at that speed that must be a long and boring trip.

The Luna Spirit and the World Spirit are both docked at the Nissan terminal in LA.

El Cerrito, CA, SF Bay Area
Reserved April, 2011
Ordered May 11, 2011
Dashboard shows "Week of August 18" > "Week of August 19" > "Week of August 18" > "Week of August 22" > "Week of August 19"
Red SL
Vin# 7316

marccbr said:
Damn the date on my dashboard just changed from "week of Aug 29" to "week of Sep 1" :eek: At least its only 3 days.
Dag nab it, I changed from week of September 12 to week of September 15. Sort of odd in the the 12th is a Monday and the 15th is a Thursday - strange day to name a week.

Did most everyone get bumped 3 days?

Bill

Mine just changed to 1/1/1980. Is that bad?

Ok, just kidding. Mine still says "week of September 16, 2011". :| I'd love to see some kind of change that would confirm that my LEAF made it to the US.

World Spirit went back to Japan after its stay in LA. Luna Spirit went to San Diego.

clunetta said:
clunetta said:
Ordered 5/16.
Week of Aug 18, then 19, then 18, now 22.
Changed back to the 18th. Got the call on the 17th. Picked up on the 18th. Drove it to work today. Woot!

Congrats Charlie!

Honestly, no sour grapes here but does anybody know why he would he would get his before me? He ordered (same color & trim -red SL+QC, don't know his other options, we chose none) 4 days after me, but his VIN is over 50 less than mine.

We all wonder but there are to many unknown variables, or at least variables we have no control over. I ordered 5/11 and am scheduled for week of Sept 1 with a vin of 79xx.

OttersRedLeaf said:
clunetta said:
clunetta said:
Ordered 5/16.
Week of Aug 18, then 19, then 18, now 22.
Changed back to the 18th. Got the call on the 17th. Picked up on the 18th. Drove it to work today. Woot!

Congrats Charlie!

Honestly, no sour grapes here but does anybody know why he would he would get his before me? He ordered (same color & trim -red SL+QC, don't know his other options, we chose none) 4 days after me, but his VIN is over 50 less than mine.
Well, It probably has to do with location. Many of the May orders are no doubt on the same ship and I guess they all dock in CA. If that is the case, then they have to get unloaded, sorted in a yard or some such, and then parceled out to where they are going. Your's, and probably mine, get loaded on a choo choo, arrive at another yard (Kent?), and then once again parceled out to the dealers. Perhaps that is why my date is about a week before yours, as I'm a wee bit closer.

Just my guess.

Bill

I'm buying mine from Fontana Nissan - 2hrs driving time from Long Beach Port max. Don't even have an exact date set yet, customer svc rep hinted dealer will have it ready for me some time early September. While location is likely a factor the whole thing appears to be more complicated than a simple function of distance from A to B.

I'm still seeing "month of September" which begs the question,

Is there any rhyme, method or observed patterms to when "month of.." turns to "week of.." and how that correlates to things like
-when the car is built
-when the car is loaded on a ship
-when the car is unloaded in Long Beach

Etc.

Just trying to get a sense of things.

Back