Copper wire thieves

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TNleaf said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
With copper at $4 a pound get used to it, this is the fly in the EVSE standards ointment. Version 2.0 needs to be a "bring your own cable" solution.

I remember seeing a video that showed this (but didn't really mention it) "bring your own cable" solution.

After searching a little bit, I found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WJjL2_Hbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At about 40-45 seconds, you see the cord being plugged into the EVSE. And then again at about 2:30-2:40 you get a much better view of this type of cord. I believe this was recorded in France (I could be mistaken).

Yes, Its called the "Mennekes" system, I have links to it near the top of this thread.

Its too bad it wasn't "good enough" for us, because its solves this issue.

rainnw said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Aluminum conductors in the cable might help but I don't know if that would be safe/durable enough.

It doesn't matter... copper thieves steal non-copper metals all the time in hopes of it being copper. If it not, they just throw it aside. More profitable to cut now, look later, especially when you are funding your meth habit.

Good point, although if word up on the street is those EV cables are worthless they might be left alone. Aluminum has value too, but not like copper.

Maybe EVSE's should be equipped with crystal meth dispenser.

adric22 said:
One more extra step might be finding a way to identify the cable. For example, if a metal recycler has some guy come up and wants to see 4 or 5 cables with J1772 connectors on the end, then he needs to notify police
It's cute that you think the guys at the scrap metal yards might actually care. :|

=Smidge=

TNleaf said:
After searching a little bit, I found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6WJjL2_Hbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At 2:54 & 2:55 the announcer says 'Electric cars" . The camera shot is a sports car driving through a corner. The sports cars is a Corvette, I do not thing it is electric. Video editors you got to love them.

Smidge204 said:
adric22 said:
One more extra step might be finding a way to identify the cable. For example, if a metal recycler has some guy come up and wants to see 4 or 5 cables with J1772 connectors on the end, then he needs to notify police
It's cute that you think the guys at the scrap metal yards might actually care. :|

=Smidge=
When the city is spending money on cable every other month word will get to the police and to the recyclers etc. The government will not allow it to continue.

smkettner said:
Smidge204 said:
When the city is spending money on cable every other month word will get to the police and to the recyclers etc. The government will not allow it to continue.

In the mean time it is a pain to drive up and find the charging cable gone. And the in the picture above, it has been gone along time.

Since day 1 I was always wondering why in the hell we need the damn cable at all...
The only reason I think about is to make EV charging look like gas pumping...
Why can't we have something like charge port/docking? you drive up to to it, an connector engages...
Something like roomba uses for self-charging... Or already existing inductive chargers...

I'm daydreaming about coming into garage and just exit the leaf, and it taking care of charging itself...

UkrainianKozak said:
Since day 1 I was always wondering why in the hell we need the damn cable at all...
Why can't we have something like charge port/docking? you drive up to to it, an connector engages...
Something like roomba uses for self-charging... Or already existing inductive chargers...

I'm daydreaming about coming into garage and just exit the leaf, and it taking care of charging itself...
That would require a lot of uniformity in the cars' charge port designs...we just barely got the various manufacturers to agree to use the same connector for L2. We can't even manage that for QC.

Inductive charging in the floor is what you're looking for in the "pull into the garage and forget" scenario, but any inductive solution is more wasteful than conductive.

rainnw said:
It doesn't matter... copper thieves steal non-copper metals all the time in hopes of it being copper.
Or any number of other things.

And yeah, I know of at least one charging station here in the Seattle area that has had its cord stolen two or three times. To add insult to injury, this is a ChargePoint charger provided for public use by a church in their parking lot.

UkrainianKozak said:

The industry can not even agree on a charging connector (there has been 4 or 5). It would take 10 or 20 years to agree on a charging dock connector.

smkettner said:
If by "not allow it to continue" you mean "not bother repairing the stations anymore" then yeah. At best you'll get some video cameras. Manufacturers could charge extra for cut resistant cables with steel wire braiding too.

Inductive charging is neat but there's a lot of (perfectly doable but expensive) engineering involved to make it work. You need to design a system that is efficient enough over a wide range of power levels to transfer 30+ kWh of energy without excessive heating of anything and is very tolerant to misalignment and gap variation because every car is different and nobody parks straight. You'll also need safety features to make sure nobody's gas tank is getting inductively heated by accident. All doable but maybe not worth the trouble right now.
=Smidge=

Regarding copper theft, I was tempted to start another thread about the stories or maybe I should just post them here.

Here's are some recent examples:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2011/07/28/copper-thieves-target-vallejo-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/17/san-francisco-copper-thieves_n_929449.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/ci_18833443" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.examiner.com/wine-in-san-francisco/string-of-copper-thefts-hit-west-side-of-san-francisco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.kcra.com/news/29194392/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.sf-police.org/index.aspx?recordid=136&page=3763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_18904606" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I really do fear that thieves will find charging stations to be a gold err... copper mine, esp. when there are a bunch of online resources to find them besides targeting Nissan dealerships or well known companies w/charging stations. Once disabled a few times, the EVSE owner may not wish to bother w/the expense of fixing them.

Smidge204 said:
adric22 said:

=Smidge=

Many scrap metal places require identification due to theft due to stealing copper grounding wire off of utility poles. It would also be easy to trace the wire with tags used in explosives if the tags were placed in the insulation. And for a clincher, put a GPS in the handle on some units - but the bottom line is will any law enforcement act on a petty theft issue.

This is the other reason when people talk about paying only for the electricity when they charge I
am amazed. This kind of problem will force higher charging costs.

Nekota said:
Smidge204 said:
adric22 said:

=Smidge=

Many scrap metal places require identification due to theft due to stealing copper grounding wire off of utility poles. It would also be easy to trace the wire with tags used in explosives if the tags were placed in the insulation. And for a clincher, put a GPS in the handle on some units - but the bottom line is will any law enforcement act on a petty theft issue.

The scrap metal place I go to here won't buy from you if you come on foot or on a bicycle. Chew on that.

TickTock said:
Forget about copper. Thieves learned to pull a catalytic converter in under 2 minutes. I wonder how long before they learn to drop your battery.

In the Sopranos it was always the air bags. But your point is taken these are high value parts. If a guy tries to sell you a LEAF battery module from the trunk of his car you're going to be pretty skeptical about where it came from, but picture a few years from now when there are hundreds of thousands of LEAFs on the road and some percentage of them have modules crapping out. It's going to be tempting for some to pick up a hot one here and there, unless the LEAF's computer refuses let the car function with a module that has the wrong serial number in it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
unless the LEAF's computer refuses let the car function with a module that has the wrong serial number in it.
Hey, they already figured out an appropriate message, which my cell phone gives when the gold contacts on the battery get dirty: "Invalid battery". Can you imagine that message popping up on the LEAF's display? I was sort of surprised the first time it popped up on my phone...

LTLFTcomposite said:
unless the LEAF's computer refuses let the car function with a module that has the wrong serial number in it.
That is not a likely scenario. I've changed out plenty of Prius batteries and in most cases you are just changing out the modules (in other words, the cells) not the actual battery ECM. There is no practical way for the ECM to identify specific cells as being invalid. Even when you order a brand-new battery from toyota, it comes without the ECM and you have to swap the ECM over from your old battery pack.

Back