Comprehensive Lease vs Buy Financial Comparisons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Koki said:
If I didn't have any income tax, I can't obviously take advantage of the income tax credit incentive for the Leaf.

So leasing should be my obvious option right ? I mean the dealer would pass on to me the $7500 savings when I lease.

Is this correct ? Please advise. Thx.
Yes - not the dealer - but the leasing company.

Thanks for the replies. I've never leased a car before.

Now with the leasing option, do you bargain like you do when you buy ?

Just called local Nissan dealership, they say I can test drive the 2011 Leaf model.

I might do that tonight then.

And if I decided to order and lease the 2012 model, I guess you don't get to bargain that neither, is this correct ? Thanks.

Koki said:
Thanks for the replies. I've never leased a car before.

Just called local Nissan dealership, they say I can test drive the 2011 Leaf model.

I might do that tonight then.

And if I decided to order and lease the 2012 model, I guess you don't get to bargain that neither, is this correct ? Thanks.

You definitely want to bargain because the cheaper you "pay" the dealership for the car the cheaper your lease payments will be. You also will want to have an understanding of the money factor to ensure that your dealer is giving you the correct money factor without any hidden markup.

As part of the online reservation process you get to solicit pricing from a dealer so before you confirm your order from that dealer you should have your pricing worked out.

Koki said:
You most certainly DO bargain in both scenarios. With ordering the new one, you bargain during the request a quote/accept a quote process online. It's best to do the bargaining directly before you send the request to the dealer.

Also be aware that just like regular financing, some dealers will play games with the lease numbers trying to cheat you after they've agreed to your price. Watch for any changes in the quoted lease terms like 36mo changing to 39mo, etc. Make sure you walk in knowing exactly what the lease numbers should look like, and with alternate financing arranged in case you can't get a square deal.

Back