Climate Control Solution - Gain Control of your Heater!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Phil, great work as always.

Have you thought about making it so we can turn on air to the front window (using the existing front defrost button) and switch the airflow back to recirculate while still keeping air flowing to the front window. I know several people who would Like this feature as part of the mod. Would you consider this for V2?

EVDrive said:
Hi Phil, great work as always.

Have you thought about making it so we can turn on air to the front window (using the existing front defrost button) and switch the airflow back to recirculate while still keeping air flowing to the front window. I know several people who would Like this feature as part of the mod. Would you consider this for V2?
Mabye get me a beer and scramble me some eggs too.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)
:D

Ingineer said:
This has been disproven, and in addition, there was no mention in the Nissan bulletin that the firmware included the HVAC system, so this has not changed before/after upgrade.

Actually they did mention HVAC in some places which prompted my earlier question of WHAT did they change with the HVAC? So far no one seems to have noticed anything. I guess I'll find out this Friday. This is a portion of the email I received:

REASON FOR CAMPAIGN

Nissan continually improves product performance through ongoing enhancements. Based on the production date of your LEAF vehicle, Nissan would like to offer a complimentary update of the vehicle software. Nissan has added an additional driver-convenience alert designed to notify the driver if their door is opened while the vehicle is still in the "ON" or "READY" mode, and the shift selector is not in "P."

In addition, Nissan has improved the accuracy of the distance-to-empty estimate when using a smartphone or other Internet device through CARWINGS™. The software update also includes various enhancements to, among other things, CARWINGS connectivity, information displays, HVAC operation, and diagnostic systems.

SierraQ said:
Actually they did mention HVAC in some places which prompted my earlier question of WHAT did they change with the HVAC? So far no one seems to have noticed anything. I guess I'll find out this Friday.
Actually if you read the actual TSB (the thing the dealer techs read), it only mentions and shows two different systems being upgraded by Consult III+. I can't post the full TSB here (long) but here's the first page:

pic

I suspect the HVAC stuff has to due with how the climate control timers/carwings remote works, as they upgraded firmware in the head unit/telematics system. I know for a fact they didn't upgrade any firmware in the HVAC ECU, and besides that evidence, plain ol' empirical observation of it reveals no functions have been altered.

-Phil

Did anybody notice the software upgrade seems to have stopped the auto window up. It now works only for window down, and not for window up. :cry:

Bassman said:
Did anybody notice the software upgrade seems to have stopped the auto window up. It now works only for window down, and not for window up. :cry:

This falls under sloppy dealership and RTFM :) When the battery is reset it needs to be re-calibrated.

The tech took care of that for me (the window up thing). He also let me know that if I had any timers set I would need to redo them. Nice to know before finding out the hard way as some others have reported.

Renault ZOE heat pump. Is it possible to convert the 2011 Leaf to a heat pump like the Renault ZOE? Jim Tubbs

Ingineer said:
garygid said:
If one can disable your "Heater-Control Mod" (like for going for Service at a Dealer), can one later re-enable your Mod (after the Service)?

If Nissan writes new firmware to the HVAC ECU, is your mod "lost"?
Yes, you can disable then re-enable it.

Phil,
Forgive me if this question has been covered already. But HOW do you disable and reenable the mod once you have the new head unit installed?

Sorry, I know we have been remiss in getting this on the web site, as we are trying to overhaul it all at once for other new offerings, such as LEAFSCAN. We do however have units in stock, and if you are interested, please see the first post for ordering instructions and more information.

-Phil

SierraQ said:
Phil,
Forgive me if this question has been covered already. But HOW do you disable and reenable the mod once you have the new head unit installed?
There really should be no need to disable the upgrade during normal operation, but there is a external red wire that can be disconnected to totally disable the upgrade's enhancements and return the unit to 100% original function should it ever be desired. Reconnection of this wire will again enable the upgrade.

-Phil

We are now accepting orders for the climate control upgrade. $138 (plus $12 shipping for most locations and fully refundable $250 deposit)

Units are currently in stock and come with full installation instructions, and packing material to return the original unit. Arrives in most locations in NorCal in one day, and 2 days for SoCal.

Installs in 5 minutes with only a phillips screwdriver.

I've updated the first post with a new video and ordering instructions.

-Phil

(We would appreciate a review here from any of you that have your units installed already, both for installation ease and function.)

Have tried sending email using the contact us link. The screen blinks once when I hit send. But, nothing indicates that the message got sent. So, I do not know if you received my request.

rawhog said:
Have tried sending email using the contact us link. The screen blinks once when I hit send. But, nothing indicates that the message got sent. So, I do not know if you received my request.
I've had this complaint before, and it was due to the person hitting the "Reset" button instead of "submit". I went ahead and removed the Reset button, as it's silly in the first place. Can you try again? I've tested it as much as I can and it seems to be fine.

There is also a phone # on the page you can call us at.

-Phil

rawhog said:
OK. I just tried it again. Same effect. Can you tell me if you got my message? It is from Bob Wills.
I don't know if yours went through, but I ordered using that page (my browser's Firefox whatever the latest version is, on Windows 7) and it went through just fine, got a response back very quickly.

rawhog said:
OK. I just tried it again. Same effect. Can you tell me if you got my message? It is from Bob Wills.
If it doesn't give you a "successful" response, it's not working for you. It's a basic HTML web form, nothing weird. I suggest you switch or update your browser. Please give us a call if you'd rather, the number is on the web page.

-Phil

Ordered on Thursday morning, and the box is sitting outside my front door when I got home on Friday. Of course, since I can drive to Berkeley - and back - in my Leaf without recharging, UPS didn't pull any miracles on this one, but it showed that EVSEUpgrade shipped it out immediately after receiving my payment.

For the tl;dr crowd, it took more than 5 minutes and a screwdriver, but everything went smoothly.

I don't have much experience with such work. The most complicated stuff I've done before this is to install a CD player in my Honda Accord. This is easier. I knew it's going to take me more than 5 minutes and planned for an hour altogether so that I don't have to hurry. I think it took me about 40 minutes total, but I was taking my time, doing it slowly to make sure everything went smoothly and that I didn't break anything.

I read the included instructions, but (no surprise here) found the YouTube video much easier to understand, especially for removing the console cover. I'm not sure what kind of chopsticks Phil uses :) but for the very last tab on the ECU, I had to use a flat head screwdriver (wrapped in electrical tape to prevent scratches) as my chopsticks were too big to reach. And you need a pair of needle nose pliers as well - this is mentioned in the instruction sheet. Took me 30 minutes to take everything out, but as I said, this is my first time taking it apart, and I was being extra careful.

Putting everything back is much faster. Probably not much more than 5 minutes. Turned on the car, hmm, no climate control. Oh, wait, only the instruments were on. Really turn on the car. The lights on the buttons flashed for a few seconds, then everything works just fine. Verified that heater is draining battery, turned off AC, power consumption of CC drops to 0 after a few seconds. Success!

I'll ship my unit back on Monday on my way to work. Thanks, Phil. May I suggest a new signature line for you - "Finishing what Nissan started since 2011" :D

Back