Climate Control Solution - Gain Control of your Heater!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QueenBee said:
Neat idea, I like how simple and inexpensive it is. One issue I've had when precooling on a mild day is even though it's sunny out and warm my garage can stay cool from the night before and so the precool will actually cause the heat to run. Is there any good way to control that?
For whatever reason, Nissan in it's infinite wisdom decided the target temperature should be fixed at 77F (I believe). Maybe in Japan, the person in charge of HVAC runs cold. :ugeek:

-Phil

Ingineer said:
...Wish I could easily add that wheel heater though! :mrgreen:

-Phil
Oh, I understand! I use the steering wheel heater much more than the seat heater. I was astonished how much difference it made to my comfort level in cold weather, and I drive in gloves (thin, driving type) in winter.

One gadget I'd like to add to my SV would be that homelink mirror that comes on the SL. Ought to be pretty simple, right?

while people are raving about seat and wheel heaters, I want a radiant panel over my legs/feet. if I had that I'd never need to run the heater for my comfort.
I first thought about a radiant floor mat, but I figured getting stepped on wouldn't be good.

dgpcolorado said:
Oh, I understand! I use the steering wheel heater much more than the seat heater. I was astonished how much difference it made to my comfort level in cold weather, and I drive in gloves (thin, driving type) in winter.

One gadget I'd like to add to my SV would be that homelink mirror that comes on the SL. Ought to be pretty simple, right?
I'll trade you your heater wheel for my wheel and my mirror! :D

I've not added a homelink to the Leaf, but I've done it on a Prius once. As crappy as they are, I doubt I'll ever intentionally buy another. But if you are so inclined, it only takes 3 wires IIRC; GND, +12v and Ign.

Personally, I'd just buy a 3-button universal remote and stash it in the glasses door (there should be room for shades and a transmitter). The auto-darkening feature sucks, it just stays dark most of the time, and the remote functions don't seem to be compatible with most of the systems I've tried them on.

-Phil

I have also noticed that when I turn on the Climate Control System, with the temp. set to 60, a full battery charge, and only the fan on, the "Energy Usage" display suddenly takes as many as 8 miles away from my GOM range. This is true, even when there is NO ENERGY USAGE showing up for the Climate Control System on the same display. I've also noticed that in exactly the same situation, except with only half a battery charge, the Energy Usage display only takes away 4 miles of my GOM range. What I have come to believe is that, when you turn the Climate Control System on at all, some GOM range is taken away without regard to actual Climate Control energy usage. Then the system automatically integrates this imaginary effect, assuming that you leave it that way through the entire battery charge.

In so many words, that means that the GOM range that is taken away is not real. It can't be. It takes almost no energy to run a fan, and yet the GOM is telling me that it will cost me a full 10% of my range to run that fan??

Any other ideas?

iamchemist said:
I have also noticed that when I turn on the Climate Control System, with the temp. set to 60, a full battery charge, and only the fan on, the "Energy Usage" display suddenly takes as many as 8 miles away from my GOM range. This is true, even when there is NO ENERGY USAGE showing up for the Climate Control System on the same display. I've also noticed that in exactly the same situation, except with only half a battery charge, the Energy Usage display only takes away 4 miles of my GOM range. What I have come to believe is that, when you turn the Climate Control System on at all, some GOM range is taken away without regard to actual Climate Control energy usage. Then the system automatically integrates this imaginary effect, assuming that you leave it that way through the entire battery charge.

In so many words, that means that the GOM range that is taken away is not real. It can't be. It takes almost no energy to run a fan, and yet the GOM is telling me that it will cost me a full 10% of my range to run that fan??

Any other ideas?
Obviously it won't affect your range if you don't use the power. Don't forget what the "G" in GOM stands for! :D

-Phil

essaunders said:
while people are raving about seat and wheel heaters, I want a radiant panel over my legs/feet. if I had that I'd never need to run the heater for my comfort.
I first thought about a radiant floor mat, but I figured getting stepped on wouldn't be good.
Maybe a 12V motorcycle heating element attached to the "roof" of the foot space would work.

lukati said:
essaunders said:
Maybe a 12V motorcycle heating element attached to the "roof" of the foot space would work.

Heat rises... Put it behind the brake pedal on the floor.

Ingineer said:
I'll trade you your heater wheel for my wheel and my mirror! :D
Not a chance!
I've not added a homelink to the Leaf, but I've done it on a Prius once. As crappy as they are, I doubt I'll ever intentionally buy another. But if you are so inclined, it only takes 3 wires IIRC; GND, +12v and Ign.

Personally, I'd just buy a 3-button universal remote and stash it in the glasses door (there should be room for shades and a transmitter). The auto-darkening feature sucks, it just stays dark most of the time, and the remote functions don't seem to be compatible with most of the systems I've tried them on.

-Phil
It has been so many years since I installed my garage door opener I wasn't aware of the existence of universal remotes. My problem is that I am down to one functional remote and the receiver or antenna in the opener is weak for some reason (my guess is a cold solder joint somewhere and, unlike you, I dislike fussing with such things). I carry the remote in a backpack since I need it for two cars and a bicycle. I figured a homelink mirror hooked to 12 V wouldn't have transmission line-of-sight or weak battery problems. If the mirror units are more trouble than they are worth, I will just skip it. The SV mirror is powered though since it has the auto darkening feature, which works fine on my car.

Thanks for the tip about universal remotes, I always figured I'd have to pay a ridiculous price for an OEM remote and I refused to do so. Might be worth a gamble to see if I could get a universal remote to work. Cheaper than a homelink mirror anyway.

You can buy a small kit for under $20 that includes a new code-rolling hi-security transmitter, and a receiver that simply replaces your existing manual wall-mounted up/down button. Takes a screwdriver and only a few minutes to install. No dangerous voltages.

Then you can buy additional remotes of several different designs to add on easily/cheaply:

http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-4B-434W-Keychain-Remote/dp/B004CLYM0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-G6V-Visor-Clip-Remote/dp/B001AYJ9D4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-R3-T2-2-Button-Transmitter/dp/B000KL0N38/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even one that you can wear on your wrist: (In case you have the onset of Alzheimers =)
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-HW-434W-Wrist-Watch-Remote/dp/B004CLYM1Q/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Phil

Ingineer said:
You can buy a small kit for under $20 that includes a new code-rolling hi-security transmitter, and a receiver that simply replaces your existing manual wall-mounted up/down button. Takes a screwdriver and only a few minutes to install. No dangerous voltages.

Then you can buy additional remotes of several different designs to add on easily/cheaply:

http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-4B-434W-Keychain-Remote/dp/B004CLYM0M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-G6V-Visor-Clip-Remote/dp/B001AYJ9D4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-R3-T2-2-Button-Transmitter/dp/B000KL0N38/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even one that you can wear on your wrist: (In case you have the onset of Alzheimers =)
http://www.amazon.com/Skylink-HW-434W-Wrist-Watch-Remote/dp/B004CLYM1Q/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456113&sr=8-14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Phil
What a wonderful suggestion! I admit I am a primitive biologist and not up on the latest e-toys. I never would have dreamed that someone had thought of that workaround for fussy garage door opener receivers. I'll look into that, thanks!

UPDATE: It's Here! The first post has all information!

Ok, the announcement everyone is waiting for! I apologize for the delays, but once we found out Nissan was going to update firmware in the car, this project got placed on hold, as we had hoped Nissan would fix it. Alas, they haven't so this project is now back on track.

We will be offering the upgrade to any Leaf owner for $138. Once ordered, we will ship you out an upgraded unit in advance with a $250 deposit required. It will be fully refunded upon return of your original in good condition.

The introduction will be at the San Francisco BayLEAFs meeting this Sunday (3/4). We will accept pre-orders NOW for a small number of units to be delivered after the BayLEAFs/EAA meeting at Luscious garage. Please contact us if you will be attending this meeting and wish to be one of the first to obtain the upgrade. I will be happy to help with the installation, as it can be done in a few minutes with a phillips screwdriver. This will also save you from having to make the deposit, or pay for shipping, as we can perform the swap on-the-spot. The total cost will be $138.

For normal orders, we will be adding the option to our web site sometime next week. Note that there will likely be a rush of orders initially, so please be be patient.

Thanks!

-Phil

Ingineer said:

Or ride your bike. That would be an awesome alternative to leaving my garage door open. Thanks!

TonyWilliams said:
lukati said:
essaunders said:

Heat rises... Put it behind the brake pedal on the floor.

heat rises, yes, that's why I thought about the floor mat. However, my issue running with no heat is my legs/feet get cold. I figured a true radiant heater could mitigate the problem. I don't want to heat the air - just my legs and feet.

of course, i could just wait a month and then i won't care.. :)

More as a question than a serious suggestion:

Will the LEAF continue to "work" (drive) without the HVAC ECU installed in the car?
(of course, without A/C, Heat, and Fan control)

If so, removing and sending in the ECU would avoid the deposit ...
but require two "install" procedures (one removal and one replacement).

airbag ECU reset will be needed

garygid said:
More as a question than a serious suggestion:

Will the LEAF continue to "work" (drive) without the HVAC ECU installed in the car?
(of course, without A/C, Heat, and Fan control)

If so, removing and sending in the ECU would avoid the deposit ...
but require two "install" procedures (one removal and one replacement).

Ingineer said:
Ok, the announcement everyone is waiting for! I apologize for the delays, but once we found out Nissan was going to update firmware in the car, this project got placed on hold, as we had hoped Nissan would fix it. Alas, they haven't so this project is now back on track.

We will be offering the upgrade to any Leaf owner for $138. Once ordered, we will ship you out an upgraded unit in advance with a $250 deposit required. It will be fully refunded upon return of your original in good condition.

-Phil
what are you upgrading for $138.
I thought the EVSE was $239.

sorry for any obtuseness.

Back