Clarification on yearly battery test.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a used '13 and the warranty manual says that battery checks are required to maintain your warranty at least half a dozen times, including throughout the service timetable. I don't always do as I'm told and don't expect to be a warranty replacement candidate, but it's spelled out pretty plainly.

VTLeaf said:
I just bought a used '13 and the warranty manual says that battery checks are required to maintain your warranty at least half a dozen times, including throughout the service timetable. I don't always do as I'm told and don't expect to be a warranty replacement candidate, but it's spelled out pretty plainly.

If contracts were that black and white, lawyers would starve

For ~$25 per year, I'll continue to have the test done. If I do end up having a problem requiring taking Nissan to court, being able to present 5-star battery inspection results from a Nissan dealership for every preceding year can't hurt my case.

I can pay less than $50 per year for a battery test, with the first two absolutely free, and be assured that my warranty will not have been voided for not doing so. So I am out less than $300 for the 8 years that there is some sort of battery warranty should I decide to even keep the car that long.

Or, I can take the risk, and if I lose I will have to retain a lawyer to prove in court against the well-paid lawyers that Nissan has on retainer that the battery checks have nothing to do with my warranty claim. My time alone is going to be worth more than $300, not to mention any out of pocket costs I will have to bear until my claim is settled in my favor, if that even happens.

I don't know about some of you, but I know which option I am going to take.

2k1Toaster said:
It doesn't bother me either way. $5K for a 24KWh battery seems like a fair deal in today's dollars if I had to pay outright. If I have to within what should have otherwise been a warranty period, I simply take my dollars elsewhere and never buy Nissan again. ...
I see. So skipping the battery check is a test to see if Nissan will do the "right" thing later. OooooKaaaaay.

davewill said:
2k1Toaster said:
It doesn't bother me either way. $5K for a 24KWh battery seems like a fair deal in today's dollars if I had to pay outright. If I have to within what should have otherwise been a warranty period, I simply take my dollars elsewhere and never buy Nissan again. ...
I see. So skipping the battery check is a test to see if Nissan will do the "right" thing later. OooooKaaaaay.

Perhaps you glossed over the entire reason for "skipping" the checks was that in 3 pre-scheduled appointments at the dealership (the Nissan franchises that Nissan corporate entrusts with performing these tasks) failed to be able to perform a check, and did not even know what it was. This involved me taking hours of my day off at work so I could use my appointed times at the dealership. This amounts to thousands of dollars in time already with nothing to show for something that might never happen.

To compound the confusion when I called the dealer, my dealer said the battery check wasn't necessary but they would gladly take my $60 and do one. However, the service advisor was yelling across the room to get the advice from the supposed Leaf advisor expert. I got off the phone feeling unconvinced...

Update: I was told by an expert battery technician for Nissan that the annual battery checks were not required. The only thing that was required was that they would do the last check on it and send that report to Nissan before replacing the battery. The battery checks were supposedly designed to keep customers minds at ease and let them know where they stand as far their packs were concerned. They did expect that you would get your first two free completed at no cost to the customer

I bought a 2014 SL with 500 miles on it last month when do I have to take it in for a battery check? A year from when I bought it?

Back