Charging Timer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegulusBlack

I charged my 2013 Leaf S for the first time last night using the timer. I set the timer to 9:00 and to charge to 80%. I checked the car this morning at 8:00 thinking that it would still be charging but was surprised to see that it had finished charging. It had charged to 79% and 76 miles on the GOM using level 1 charger. I thought the timer was designed so that the car would be charging up until the charger off time. What am I missing?

Thanks

RegulusBlack said:
I charged my 2013 Leaf S for the first time last night using the timer. I set the timer to 9:00 and to charge to 80%. I checked the car this morning at 8:00 thinking that it would still be charging but was surprised to see that it had finished charging. It had charged to 79% and 76 miles on the GOM using level 1 charger. I thought the timer was designed so that the car would be charging up until the charger off time. What am I missing?

Thanks
you entered 2 variables, 1 was the percentage of charge and 2 was the timer, the 80% limit was reached before the time limit was so the charger shut down at the completion of the task it was asked to do

You did it right. The charge timer is not very good at calculating finish time, so it adds in some time to make sure it completes early.

My car normally finishes 30 to 45 minutes early. At times it has finished over an hour early.
As they say your mileage may vary ;)

I've been having some trouble with my 2013 charging timers. I set them for Sat and Sun, because I work weekends, but unless I turn them off during the week they will sometimes (not always) stop charging from beginning on weekdays - I have to cancel the timer or turn them off, to go from three dancing lights to one flashing one. What am I doing wrong?

LeftieBiker said:
I've been having some trouble with my 2013 charging timers. I set them for Sat and Sun, because I work weekends, but unless I turn them off during the week they will sometimes (not always) stop charging from beginning on weekdays - I have to cancel the timer or turn them off, to go from three dancing lights to one flashing one. What am I doing wrong?
Could it be because the day changes at midnight? If you are setting a start time and an end time, and you want something to be effective for Saturday and Sunday morning, then you have to either set the timer to start after midnight or set your "weekend" timers for Friday and Saturday. (And set a "weekday" timer for Sunday.)

Actually, you should probably tell us specifically what you have set so we don't have to guess. Start time, end time or both? One timer or two? 80%/100% set on timer or separately or both?

Ray

LeftieBiker said:
it's the way they work. Once you set a timer, at all of the times not inside of a timer (including days with NO timer) will not start charging. In this case, it assumes you ONLY want to charge on SAT and SUN. If you want it to charge at all times on the weekdays, you'll have to set a separate midnight to midnight timer for the weekdays...or turn all the timers off.

davewill said:
LeftieBiker said:
it's the way they work. Once you set a timer, at all of the times not inside of a timer (including days with NO timer) will not start charging. In this case, it assumes you ONLY want to charge on SAT and SUN. If you want it to charge at all times on the weekdays, you'll have to set a separate midnight to midnight timer for the weekdays...or turn all the timers off.

Thanks - it's nice to know that Nissan executed it badly, and I'm not crazy. ;-) I'll just turn them off on Mondays and on again on Saturday mornings. I'm using them to get near 100% for my commute without having the car sit almost fully charged, then go back to 80% on weekdays.

LeftieBiker said:
Thanks - it's nice to know that Nissan executed it badly, and I'm not crazy. ;-) I'll just turn them off on Mondays and on again on Saturday mornings. I'm using them to get near 100% for my commute without having the car sit almost fully charged, then go back to 80% on weekdays.
I can't really call it bad execution. It allows you to say "Don't charge on Mondays". I'm not sure why you wouldn't just create the second timer to do the all day 80% thing on the weekdays so you can set and forget, but what you suggest will work.

Back