Charge port lid manual opening method

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricEddy

For Leafers who fear of pulling up to an evse station and finding that a mechanical problem (or dead 12v battery) will not open the charge port lid, I have a solution that won't break the bank. Refer to service manual (2013) DLK page 21 and 173/174. You will find the lock mechanism is controlled by a signal from VCM to a solenoid pulling an aircraft cable on the actuator ( lots to go wrong at a critical time). By carefully removing the cowling (about 7-8 clips) you gain access to the assembly . I used (5) 4" outdoor rated black tie-raps (zap straps) anchoring the first around the actuator arm and progressively added the rest ran the tail out the left side ( as you face it) under the seal and left a 1" tail under the motor garage hood ( for security reasons must open hood to activate). Can't see a thing from the outside (except the tail under the hood). Pull the tab, port lid opens and plug in ( then go home and charge the 12v battery). Use caution when running the tie wraps, leave slack so it won't affect the actuator return spring and make sure the couplings don't rub or get caught on any screws etc ( you will see what I mean when you pull the actuator cable to view the mechanical actions involved. I used several smaller tie wraps rather than 1 long one as several allow movement in more directions , one would bind somewhere. Sorry no pictures. 2013 SL.

Back