CHAdeMO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To make it more fun ccs is being phased out too in favor of that Tesla thing. AFAIK it leaves leaf owners hoping that adaptor someone in China made works well. I understand it’s still beta, though my information may be old.
CCS is a protocol, correct? The protocol is not being phased out for CCS. The plug configuration is different between NACS (Tesla) and CCS.
Just trying to establish some clarification...

Last edited:
There are millions of CCS DCFC cars on the road. The CCS charger connection isn't going anywhere. My guess is a cheap NACS to CCS adapter is probably going to be needed for those cars that are on the road when NACS chargers without CCS capability are in place.

While Tesla's "supercharger" network might restrict to Tesla's only or some other group of cars, they would likely lose State and Federal funding... So might happen somewhere sometime. But probably not everywhere.

Other networks are unlikely to restrict any cars.
I don't think Tesla is likely to "restrict to Tesla's only", I think Tesla will be happy to take anyone's money, and it's the ability to get the money that's the issue. The car itself, not the driver of the car, needs to be able to tell Tesla via the NACS connection who to bill for a charge. Tesla superchargers do not have any payment devices that take credit card swipes or fob taps.

The car itself, not the driver of the car, needs to be able to tell Tesla via the NACS connection who to bill for a charge.

Almost certainly, but just today I wondered if the NACS adapter itself could talk to the SC rather than having to retrofit the vehicle. Or it could be via an app on a phone... We will see how the Ford adapter works it soon.

I don't think Tesla is likely to "restrict to Tesla's only", I think Tesla will be happy to take anyone's money, and it's the ability to get the money that's the issue. The car itself, not the driver of the car, needs to be able to tell Tesla via the NACS connection who to bill for a charge. Tesla superchargers do not have any payment devices that take credit card swipes or fob taps.
Just a clarification: the car tells the Supercharger through the NACS connection that it is authorized to use it. The billing happens through the car. In the case of Tesla cars, the billing happens when the car connects to Tesla computers via the cell network. Non Tesla cars currently use a phone app for authorizing the numbered Supercharger stall to activate and for billing.

There are a small number of Supercharger Stations that are already available to any CCS1 car via "Magic Docks." It happens that two of them are near my home: Montrose CO and Moab UT, so I've seen them. A neighbor with a CCS1 BMW tried out the Magic Dock in Montrose successfully. It requires a phone app to release the CCS1 plug and for payment.

Cars, such as Ford or GM, using NACS to CCS1 adapters will likely arrange payment for Supercharging through the car's connection to the company network, much as Tesla cars do now. They will only be allowed to use some, but not all, of the existing Supercharger Stations. Older Version 2 Supercharger Stations do not use a CCS1 communication protocol (that original Tesla communication was similar to Chademo). I presume that some high use Version 3 Supercharger Stations will also be limited to Tesla cars only to prevent overcrowding, since many CCS1 cars have to block two stalls to get the short cable to reach the charge port.

The initial reports suggested that Ford and GM cars would have access to about 11,000 or 12,000 stalls. However, the number of Supercharger Stations has grown considerably since then, so the actual number figures to be greater.

Most of those Supercharger Stations open to CCS1 cars will be Version 3, which use the CCS1 communication protocol and charge at 250 kW. However, Tesla is deploying Version 4 Superchargers which have longer cables and may eventually have the ability to accommodate 800V cars as well as have credit card readers. Several V4 Stations have opened but are currently limited to V3 charging levels.

FWIW.

Montrose Supercharger with Magic Dock20230929sf_183146630_HDR.jpg
^ A Magic Dock Supercharger stall in Montrose CO. It is open to any CCS1 car with a phone app. The bollards and signs between stalls were removed to allow CCS cars to nudge closer to help the short cable to reach.

Back