CHAdeMO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my now somewhat common stops is the toll plaza outside of Lawrence KS. It has had its chargers out of commission for a while an was getting concerned. I just found out the station is under new mgmt (Loves). I have seen other Loves locations with ccs only, so I wrote then an note via their contact us and actually got a response.

Hello Doug, thank you for reaching out in regard to your feedback about adding EV charging stations at our new Lawrence, Kansas, location.

We’ll make certain your feedback about adding EV charging stations that have both CCS and Chademo connectors at our new location in Lawrence, Kansas location is passed along accordingly. We want to know what's important to you and appreciate the time you've taken to reach out to us. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Thank you for being the best part of Love's!

Best regards,
Rico B.
Love's Travel Stops

Although CCS1 is being replaced by NACS in North America, CCS2 will still be around in Europe for instance. I am guessing that they can make the adapter in both CCS1 and CCS2 as it is labelled "CCS1/2".

Let's hope a nacs/chademo adapter appears.

It appears likely that the nacs to ccs implementation by Tesla will require a form of "plug to charge" handshake in order for the non-nacs vehicle to charge with the (tesla) nacs to ccs dongle. The ccs vehicle must provide credentials through iso 15118 or something to get connected to DC. Which unfortunately means that a third party nacs to chademo would not get authorized by a (tesla) nacs station. Now Tesla could certainly make an adapter, having done the reverse already, https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/chademo-adapter, if they felt like it.

MikeinPA said:
It appears likely that the nacs to ccs implementation by Tesla will require a form of "plug to charge" handshake in order for the non-nacs vehicle to charge with the (tesla) nacs to ccs dongle.

NACS is just a different connector. CCS is the protocol being used, and "plug to charge" is part of CCS.(1)

While Tesla's "supercharger" network might restrict to Tesla's only or some other group of cars, they would likely lose State and Federal funding... So might happen somewhere sometime. But probably not everywhere.

Other networks are unlikely to restrict any cars.

(1) Yeah, I'm being simplistic, but the same sequences, handshakes and networking is done for both. NACS didn't officially support 800V cars at one point in time, as no one will ever need that, but that's likely to change now that it is a public standard... and the Cyberpickup uses 800V.

NACS is soon to be a public standard, so Tesla can't control implementation by other charging networks.

A CCS1/2 to CHAdeMO adapter had better come with some solid guarantees. As has been noted many times, this is not a simple wiring hookup like it is with other combinations.

Other networks are unlikely to restrict any cars.
Didn't think of it that way, you are right. But meanwhile I believe the CCS/NACs adapters will need to prove to the superchargers that the vehicle is authorized (ie, the automaker has signed up with Tesla) otherwise any CCS car could use the adapter. Granted, very few automakers left who have not signed up, but there is VW for example--still a hold out.

On other news, Dala reviews a successful CCS/Chademo adapter:

Didn't think of it that way, you are right. But meanwhile I believe the CCS/NACs adapters will need to prove to the superchargers that the vehicle is authorized (ie, the automaker has signed up with Tesla) otherwise any CCS car could use the adapter. Granted, very few automakers left who have not signed up, but there is VW for example--still a hold out.

On other news, Dala reviews a successful CCS/Chademo adapter:

The VW group has announced they are going to use the NACS.

Stellantis is still studying it.

"finally" got a CCS only Volta (or whatever they are called these days) which would be a great option locally for a quick boost as they are free for 30 mins and located at an Amazon Go store where there is supposedly very good food options for $5. But its not that local to me being 30 miles away so have to say...DK

As far as Chademo; in the absence of any new EA locations in the area, its a one to one and they are still coming.

I would rather see some conversion kits for existing Leaf to use NACS instead of trying to create some Frankenstein like device to convert the two of them in an adapter.

My guess is that Nissan would first transition LEAF to a NACS port if it had any interest in later offering a conversion kit. Since there has not been any hint on the former, I would not hold my breath for the latter

Hi all, long time supporter, haven't been around much since we bought our 2018

Had a Chademo adventure Tuesday. We stopped in at https://www.plugshare.com/location/468936. There was a LEAF in the stall next to us also with the Chademo plugged in. After getting the car and charger in sync we checked in with the owner of the other LEAF. He said the Chademo plug was stuck in the car socket and he had called customer support 1/2 an hour ago and after several tries to talk him through a release procedure, they said they'd send a "charge team member" to help. We then discovered that our plug was also stuck in the car socket so we also called customer support. They repeated the talk through with us and said help was coming. We asked for an ETA and they couldn't say, but that the site they were coming from was about 2 1/2 hours away. Sure enough, about 2 hours laster the service tech showed up. Nice guy named Paul. He got out a flash light and held it in his hand. He was also holding a large wrench in the same hand. Several taps with the wrench on the Chademo plug and with us pressing the lock release button on our fob, the release button on the Chademo plug popped up and Paul could pull the Chademo plug free.

Perhaps the Chademo plugs in the field are getting tired and cranky.

This is kind of a necropost, but has anyone seen comments about a stuck Chademo plug?
Had same experience yesterday with a Greenapple EV Chademo plug. Stopped everything, pulled and twisted for maybe two minutes and it popped off.

Had same experience yesterday with a Greenapple EV Chademo plug. Stopped everything, pulled and twisted for maybe two minutes and it popped off.
I’ve had this issue since I bought my 2019 Leaf. What works for me is just jiggling the release button up and down until it releases. A lot of Electrify America chargers that have this issue coincidentally.

With the apparent phasing out of CHAdeMO connectors in favour of CCS in Europe and the US, where does that leave Leaf owners?
To make it more fun ccs is being phased out too in favor of that Tesla thing. AFAIK it leaves leaf owners hoping that adaptor someone in China made works well. I understand it’s still beta, though my information may be old.

Back