Car Cover Supplier?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used the Silverguard cover by CoverKing bought from Costco before on a pickup truck I parked outside 24/7. I didn't like it for 2 reasons: it may keep the sun out, but it still traps heat inside. My truck still feels hot (despite being white), and the black tonneau truck cover for the bed feels even hotter (we live in AZ). And its movement due to the wind over time causes the paint surface of my new pickup truck to become noticeably dull. Nothing some buffing and waxing wouldn't fix. But still a pain that you'd have to deal with that problem because you expect the cover to provide protection but instead it's dulling out the paint shine.

Anyway, fast forward to now, I sold the truck, but now I have to move my minivan out of the garage to make room for the Leaf. So I research different cover options and I really just want something that covers the top of my van around the windows only to keep the sun out of the interior. That way I can take it off quickly when needed, and it's easier to handle because it's not too bulky, and at least it won't dull the paint on the bottom half of the car (it may still dull the top half over time).

So I found this product called the Cool Caps (itscoolinhere.com). I ordered it from http://www.empirecovers.com for 10% off and free shipping (if over $110 purchase, I bought some other stuff). It's a little pricey ($90 minus 10% for my van), but I tried it on my minivan and I like it a lot because it's just what I was looking for.

The only thing is that while you can select your car make/model to find the right size, it's still not a custom sizing specific to your car, but only general sizing that fits most cars in that type and size. The cover for my minivan doesn't fit it 100%, but is good enough and covers more than 90% of the top.

But I like the idea of a top cover only, and I like the product enough that I'm ordering one for my Leaf as well, and I intend to use it while I park it outside at work all day long. I haven't received it yet to see how well it will fit the Leaf, but when I get it in, I'll report back. The Leaf is the smaller size 3 only so I paid $70 minus 10% for it. I also order one for my Lexus to get free shipping because I want one for my Lexus, too.

You'll probably need to remove the antenna from the top out of the way. I removed mine and used a bolt from my bicycle (designed to hold a water bottle cage) to screw into the antenna slot now to keep from water condensation.

A little off topic here, but I also bought some wheel covers from Camping World to protect my tires from the sun. But that's because I only need to use my van once in a while now and will be parking outdoors 24/7.

Thanks for the info on coolcaps. I just ordered one for my wife to use on our Grand Cherokee as she parks outside. Hopefully she can get it over the vehicle without too much trouble.

jlaw99 said:
Thanks for the info on coolcaps. I just ordered one for my wife to use on our Grand Cherokee as she parks outside. Hopefully she can get it over the vehicle without too much trouble.
I can put the cover for my van on by myself. You just need to pick an approach that works for you and stick with it. Mine is to start from the back and pull it forward to the front because my van cover is very long. After a few times you get used to it and it's no sweat, really.

I want to report back that the Cover Cap on my van just ripped a 6 foot long line along the seam after only 2 months of being under the sun. I park my van outside all day in AZ summer, but still, I was hoping to get at least a year out of it.

I called the manufacturer and they were very responsive and promised to send me a replacement cover right away. So at least customer service is good. However, they said if I park it outside every day all day long, it wouldn't last a year, but it should last a summer.

So I'm not sure if I can recommend it anymore due to longevity issue.

I found my car cover at http://www.bettercarcover.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it fit the nissan leaf great. I haven't received my leaf yet but my wife has hers already so we tried it on hers. Of course she gets to park hers in the garage but my leaf has to be outside in the street. Texas heat is brutal on cars so i like to cover it up when I can. The car cover website offered lifetime warranty, free shipping, free bag and free lock so I think is was a great deal for $140.00.

Love my leaf

OH! I just read about the cool caps. Is that a car cover or like a sunshade? I got a sunshade for my leaf at http://www.coolcarshade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they start at $24.95-up but I got the luxury model for $59.95 free shipping. I talked to the owner and he said all mynissanleaf can get 10% off using coupon code mnl. I am very happy with shade and my wife got the classic shade for $31.50 and she lifes it.

leafnissan said:
OH! I just read about the cool caps. Is that a car cover or like a sunshade? I got a sunshade for my leaf at http://www.coolcarshade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they start at $24.95-up but I got the luxury model for $59.95 free shipping. I talked to the owner and he said all mynissanleaf can get 10% off using coupon code mnl. I am very happy with shade and my wife got the classic shade for $31.50 and she lifes it.
The cool caps is not a sunshade because it covers the outside of the car and not just put inside. However, it doesn't cover the whole car, just the top part of the car where the windows are. It uses the shiny sunshade like material.

Back