Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leafkabob said:
Volusiano said:
Gonewild said:
TickTock, You remember last Oct I got my battery pack replaced, because of the bar dropping off in only 7 months. Now 7 months later here I have bars dropping again. I have 22,000 miles in 14 months. I never said anything publicly because I was happy. My car was the FIRST to go to Nissan test track in Oct 2011. For them to say WOW we never seen that before! We will have to look in to it is a FRAUD!!!
Wow, this is big! Yet another half-truth from Nissan for saying they've never seen it before.

Also, if Nissan didn't learn anything from testing your original battery pack 9 months ago, I wonder how they'll be able to learn anything this time around from the other 6 cars.
Wow! This IS huge. Way more interesting than Carla's letter. ;)

+1

:shock:

I think that post has since been removed, but I've heard reliable references to that matter before. I think I understand the reasons for the removal - and if you want us to stop quoting it, please PM us. It is nonetheless good to hear from the source.

I really don't know what to think of that. It's very concerning for both owners and Nissan. It does not appear to be their first rodeo with this issue and possible fixes are potentially quite costly on multiple levels...

Stoaty said:
I have tried to contact a couple of people who posted on Facebook and sent PM to owners listed in the Wiki but have incomplete information.

One thing to note if you are trying to contact them on FaceBook is the messages of non-friends go into an other messages folder with no alerts so you have to literally check the folder to see them.

I'm traveling this week and checking in sporadically on my phone. Does anyone want to volunteer to keep tabs on that Facebook thread and compile all the bar-loser info for the wiki? Adding these folks and Gonewild will definitely help legitimize the campaign a bit.

opossum said:
I'm traveling this week and checking in sporadically on my phone. Does anyone want to volunteer to keep tabs on that Facebook thread and compile all the bar-loser info for the wiki? Adding these folks and Gonewild will definitely help legitimize the campaign a bit.
I have added all except Gonewild. Not sure if Gonewild should be added since info was posted and later redacted. I will try to keep up with facebook.

We all know that is much more than 0.3% and not only PHX or AZ. Hopefully there will be resolution and hopefully soon. Assuming that you are immune to this because you leased or live in "cold" climate is not correct approach. In order for Leaf to gain wider acceptance this issue have to be addressed and I hope there is enough resolve to do this. I guess we all want Leaf to be a success

Stoaty said:
Adding these folks and Gonewild will definitely help legitimize the campaign a bit.
I have added all except Gonewild. Not sure if Gonewild should be added since info was posted and later redacted. I will try to keep up with facebook.[/quote]

Maybe Nissan called him and reminded him of the NDA after his pack replacement?

LEAFfan said:
I can vouch for Gonewild that he has lost a bar. Who removed his post? Maybe Nissan called him and reminded him of the NDA after his pack replacement?
He edited his own post and removed all the text, just left the quotes from other posters. If he doesn't want to be included (deleted the information about capacity bar loss) I don't think it is right to add to the wiki against his wishes.

LEAFfan said:

I'm worried that's what will happen with the AZ people. Then those of us in Texas and inland SoCal and Florida and Oklahoma will have no idea what the resolution was, what the problem was, and we'll have to start all over again with Nissan. Don't forget, it's NOT just AZ that's having to deal with this.

QueenBee said:
Stoaty said:
I have tried to contact a couple of people who posted on Facebook and sent PM to owners listed in the Wiki but have incomplete information.

One thing to note if you are trying to contact them on FaceBook is the messages of non-friends go into an other messages folder with no alerts so you have to literally check the folder to see them.
Yeah. One needs to look at Messages > Other on the left hand side. Lots of people don't know about it. I didn't even know about it until I stumbled across an article (might've been http://lifehacker.com/5867415/your-facebook-has-two-inboxes-and-youve-probably-missed-some-messages-from-the-second" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

I posted it on FB and got lots of responses along the lines of "wow! I didn't know about it either and found a bunch of messages in from months ago that I didn't know about." Those were my thoughts too when first learned of it.

TonyWilliams said:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

I recommend making sure the government has been officially notified.
Ummm... isn't that only for safety complaints? Battery capacity loss that we're seeing doesn't seem like a valid safety complaint.

I leased my Leaf less then a year ago, with the idea to early buy out the lease (to get the tax credit up front, test the car out). No longer wanting buyout given problems detailed here, I sent this email to my DEALER, summarizing my concerns from this thread.

After doing further capacity research, I have found this:
1. Nissan staff have stated that over 10 years the battery capacity will lose between 20% to 30 % of capacity (2% or 3% a year, or lets say 2% to 3% every 12,000 miles)
2. Actual reporting in Arizona shows 13% (some more, some less) every 12,000 miles. There are 40 reports of loss of this level, 10% of the leafs in Arizona (approximately).
3. When I leased the car, I had assumed that Nissan OVERESTIMATED the capacity, as most companies in my experience will do this (my solar panels on my roof, warranted for 25 years, will last AT LEAST THAT LONG.), but apparently, Nissan, has done the opposite by underestimating the capacity by about 500% (5 times the loss of capacity in a 10 year period, the battery could have unusable capacity in 5 years of normal driving) I have been blind sided by this. While its possible that the 40 cars with the losses tracked and in the news had flawed batteries, or they were mistreated (against warnings), but there is no way for me to know for certain, and 10% failure rate is really high.

4. Since the battery warranty covers output, not capacity, given the apparent underestimation, I cannot rely on the battery to hold out, and I cannot rely on Nissan to help me out should the battery capacity decrease to a barely usable state. My read of the recent letter by Nissan does little to assure me, in part because she only considers the 5 that were recently in the news, not the 40 cars with confirmed loss of at least 1 bar (15% loss in 1 to 2 years).

I personally think a new thread should be created, something like: "Nissan's response to premature capacity loss". we need a new thread with a focus on the ongoing response. this thread and others are getting so mammoth I'm sure a bunch of info is falling through the cracks for all but the regulars here.

It's nice to see a response, though they still seem to have their head in the sand as to how extensive this problem is. Their previous response suggested the decline would taper off. we now know that is not the case at least in the extreme cases. It seems quite likely that a bunch of Leaf owners below something like the 33rd parallel are going to be seeing 1 to 2 and in worst case scenarios even 3 and 4 bars lost a year, perhaps every year. Even at 1 bar a year, it's a hard sell, IMHO. The perception is that the battery capacity of the Leaf is barely enough for consumer comfort when it's new. between permanent capacity loss in extreme heat and fluctuating capacity in cold weather combined with the tedium of moderating one's habits to maximize the range, avoiding frequent quick charging, 80% charging, not discharging too low, it's all starting to feel like a bit much to expect the average car buyer to embrace. Just the fluctuations in range from cold that we see up north in the winter in this relatively mild climate are enough to make me want TMS. With the fears about extreme heat, I'm now also worried about taking the car even into Eastern WA in the summer, where it can get quite hot. It's hard to see any other solution than adding TMS, if for no other reason than for peace of mind, and after this current run of premature battery failures, a real capacity warranty is a must. Nissan now has a steeper hill to climb. if they come out with a "new and improved" chemistry, they will have to warranty range in order for us the be willing to take the chance again.

"An open letter to Nissan LEAF owners from Carla Bailo, senior vice president, Research and Development, Nissan Americas:
At Nissan, we consider ourselves fortunate to have such passionate and engaged customers—especially within our LEAF family. Recently, we learned from the Nissan LEAF community—and specifically from some Phoenix-area LEAF owners—of a growing concern about battery capacity loss with their electric vehicles. In fact, the MyNissanLEAF online owners' forum—a resource that allows owners to share their experiences and discuss EVs— helped bring the concern to our attention for which we’re appreciative.
The forum's discussion around battery capacity loss has reached a point where I feel it important to personally address what is being debated, to provide Nissan's viewpoint and, most importantly, to explain the actions we are taking to work with owners.
First, it is important to stress that while battery capacity loss incidents represent only a handful of cases, we are taking them—as well as the concerns of the larger LEAF family— very seriously. Battery capacity loss of the levels reported may be considered normal depending on the method and frequency of charging, the operating environment, the amount of electricity consumed during daily usage and a vehicle's mileage and age. But the only way to know for sure is to examine customer vehicles, perform a thorough diagnostic on the vehicle and battery, and better understand the real-world driving and charging history of the owners. We are now reaching out to individual owners to start this process to ensure that we fully understand these events and all potential causes, and pledge to provide an update as soon as possible.
Battery data collected from Nissan LEAFs to date currently indicates that less than 0.3 percent of Nissan LEAFs in the U.S. (including vehicles in service dating back to December, 2010) have experienced a loss of any battery capacity bars. Overall, this universe of vehicles represents a very small fraction of the more than 13,000 Nissan LEAFs on U.S. roads. Also, data received globally from other LEAF vehicles shows that this condition typically occurs to high-mileage cars or those in unique operating situations.
Second, I want to explain battery capacity, how it is affected by the operating environment and usage patterns and what is considered normal battery health. All lithium-ion batteries lose capacity with use and age. This is normal and expected. In general, lithium-ion batteries exhibit a higher loss of capacity early in life, with the rate of loss decreasing over time. Nissan has projected that LEAF batteries will generally have 80 percent of their capacity under normal use after 5 years, and 70 percent after 10 years.
Are there factors that could negatively affect this performance curve? Yes. A customer's method and frequency of charging, operating environment, the amount of electricity consumed during daily usage and a vehicle's mileage and age can all affect the rate of battery capacity loss. Until we know more about each customer's unique situation, it would be premature to declare what is happening with the Nissan LEAFs in Phoenix, and whether their performance is within the range of expectations or not. Working closely with our owners to get to the bottom of these concerns is exactly what we’re committed to do.
Nissan engineers from our Arizona Testing Center and around the world will study each customer case, work to discover the root cause and will determine next steps to satisfy our customers. While we do this, we pledge to provide an update to our customers as soon as possible.
Together, we are confident that by collaborating with our LEAF community—including the more than 400 owners in Arizona—we will ensure that owners experience many years of enjoyable driving as EV pioneers.
Thank you for your passion for the Nissan LEAF and the electrical vehicle movement. It is only through your dedication and willingness to innovate that we are able to bring zero- emission mobility to the mass market.
Kind regards,
Carla Bailo
Senior Vice President, Research & Development Nissan Americas"

cwerdna said:
TonyWilliams said:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

I recommend making sure the government has been officially notified.
Ummm... isn't that only for safety complaints? Battery capacity loss that we're seeing doesn't seem like a valid safety complaint.

I think you're right! Anyhoo, wherever the site is, I recommend reporting the issue to the appropriate agency.

Also would like to add, that I appreciate the work of the many put into this thread. It has had a beneficial impact upon myself and many others, and as well the potential to motivate Nissan Central.

vrwl said:
LEAFfan said:

I'm worried that's what will happen with the AZ people. Then those of us in Texas and inland SoCal and Florida and Oklahoma will have no idea what the resolution was, what the problem was, and we'll have to start all over again with Nissan. Don't forget, it's NOT just AZ that's having to deal with this.

Yes, that's a huge concern. I couldn't blame anyone for signing such to get a new pack, but not the open and forthright kind of dialogue I would want from Nissan.

mwalsh said:
vrwl said:
LEAFfan said:

Yes, that's a huge concern. I couldn't blame anyone for signing such to get a new pack, but not the open and forthright kind of dialogue I would want from Nissan.

Maybe he just meant that as a private message but instead posted it. It would be insane for Nissan to even bring up NDA's in the normal course of repairing cars. I don't foresee that happening unless you sue them and they settle, which would be a completely differently scenario.

I can see them bringing up an NDA when they replace your pack.. those are not cheap and each one wipes out the profit of other 4-5 Nissan vehicles besides the Leaf.. and you dont want everyone with a lousy single bar missing in Frisco demanding a new pack.

3 bars missing is a spent pack, they will start seeing power delivery issues soon and that is warrantied.

leiko49 said:
Also would like to add, that I appreciate the work of the many put into this thread. It has had a beneficial impact upon myself and many others, and as well the potential to motivate Nissan Central.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with the vehicle. Hopefully the Leaf will continue to serve you well. It's an amazing car.
Herm said:
I can see them bringing up an NDA when they replace your pack.. those are not cheap and each one wipes out the profit of other 4-5 Nissan vehicles besides the Leaf.. and you dont want everyone with a lousy single bar missing in Frisco demanding a new pack.
The pack in my other EV has been replaced twice by the manufacturer. I didn't sign any NDA. In fact, although it's a field trial, I wasn't asked to sign any special paperwork in that regard. It's just a simple consumer lease.
Herm said:
3 bars missing is a spent pack, they will start seeing power delivery issues soon and that is warrantied.
Indeed, and we speculated about that elsewhere on the thread. I suspect that Scott Yarosh, one of the affected owners, has lost 50% of his range. Just as he reported, even though the Gid reading only indicated 35% capacity reduction. The difference could be explained by an increase in internal resistance. If that was the case, you have to wonder how much longer it would have taken for power delivery to be affected.

surfingslovak said:
I suspect that Scott Yarosh, one of the affected owners, has lost 50% of his range. Just as he reported, even though the Gid reading only indicated 35% capacity reduction.

it will also depend on how you drive, a gentle driver wont be affected as much by a high resistance pack.

Back