Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost bar #2 today @ 16,622 miles. Almost exactly 6 months remaining on this 2-year lease. Until this hot battery comes out I would caution against a 2 year lease in Phoenix. Had trouble doing 50 miles RT all highway on Christmas Day.

The good news is when this lease is up, a Tesla Roadster will become my daily driver. :)

shrink said:
Lost bar #2 today @ 16,622 miles. Almost exactly 6 months remaining on this 2-year lease. Until this hot battery comes out I would caution against a 2 year lease in Phoenix. Had trouble doing 50 miles RT all highway on Christmas Day. <snip>
Allow me to edit the bolded section: "Until the claimed 'hot battery' comes out and Nissan is willing to put their money where their mouth is and back it up with an 80% capacity warranty for something approaching the numbers they were claiming back in 2010 (i.e. 5yr./60,000 miles to 80%), I would caution against leasing a LEAF in Phoenix for any period whatsoever." There, fixed it for you :D

shrink said:
Lost bar #2 today @ 16,622 miles. Almost exactly 6 months remaining on this 2-year lease. Until this hot battery comes out I would caution against a 2 year lease in Phoenix. Had trouble doing 50 miles RT all highway on Christmas Day.

The good news is when this lease is up, a Tesla Roadster will become my daily driver. :)

I just lost my first cb at 7800 miles/10 mos. on a 2-yr. lease, BUT I noticed that losing a bar on the 2013 is different from losing a bar on the 2011. It's at 85%/239 Gids, but the 2011 was down 20% at 225 Gids.

Are you going to buy a used Roadster? Because Tesla doesn't make new ones anymore.

vrwl said:
shrink said:
LEAFfan said:
Are you going to buy a used Roadster? Because Tesla doesn't make new ones anymore.

I bought a used 2010 Roadster 2.0 in 8/2013.
How are the Tesla batteries doing in the Phoenix heat?

"Recently, Plug In America released an interesting report on the Tesla Roadster’s battery pack capacity loss. The main conclusion was that the average pack should, at 100,000 miles, still maintain 80-85% of capacity and that age and climate didn’t have much impact. This results are considered better than even Tesla Motors’ own estimations."

http://insideevs.com/tesla-roadster...that-nissan-leaf-battery-is-long-lasting-too/

The roadsters are fairing remarkably well, even in phoenix. With what Elon Musk knew about extreme heat and Li-ion batteries, he laughed when he heard Nissan was not including temperature management in their batteries. at the time, as a Leaf owner, I took offense to it... now I understand that he was simply being realistic.

GaslessInSeattle said:
"Recently, Plug In America released an interesting report on the Tesla Roadster’s battery pack capacity loss. The main conclusion was that the average pack should, at 100,000 miles, still maintain 80-85% of capacity and that age and climate didn’t have much impact. This results are considered better than even Tesla Motors’ own estimations."

http://insideevs.com/tesla-roadster...that-nissan-leaf-battery-is-long-lasting-too/

The roadsters are fairing remarkably well, even in phoenix. With what Elon Musk knew about extreme heat and Li-ion batteries, he laughed when he heard Nissan was not including temperature management in their batteries. at the time, as a Leaf owner, I took offense to it... now I understand that he was simply being realistic.

great article to reference and one that needs to be brought up occasionally. what we seem to fail to realize is there is a huge range of need but a very narrow range of resources to get it. you either can afford a $100,000 car or you can't.

most can't. now the early EV adopter group has skewed this stat and now they seemed to have convinced themselves that people are ok with paying $90,000 for a car simply because it has range or that the majority of current LEAF drivers would "gladly" pay $5-10,000 for a battery range upgrade.

I can tell you that is far far far from the truth. ok. get it? probably not. now the handful of LEAF owners who can afford this battery upgrade may now speak but don't make comments implying you are in a large group of like minded people because you are not

Lost my 2nd CB today (see sig below)... :cry:

I small step for a Leaf owner. One giant leap for the new battery from Nissan. :twisted:

Novato. Max of 90s in summer. Mostly 80s. Parked outside on the sun. Charge 100% every night. No hot rodding.

Okay. What gives, if anything? I mean, I see much worse in this post.

Meanwhile, I wonder if my battery fits the degradation model...

ILETRIC said:
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

I don't think you are on track to get a battery.
You may make 60k before the 3rd bar drops and you really need the fourth bar gone.

smkettner said:
ILETRIC said:
1st bar lost at 38,700 miles/22 months
2nd bar lost at 45,750 miles/27 months

I don't think you are on track to get a battery.
You may make 60k before the 3rd bar drops and you really need the fourth bar gone.
I think he may get one. He dropped the second bar after 7k miles, which is around 4 months at his avg. miles/month. He'll be going deeper into the battery from now on, and he should hit summer before he hits 60k. It's likely going to be close, though.

smkettner said:
Hard to tell if the first bar lost was late or the second was early.
I have 10,000 miles on my 3rd bar and it is hanging in just fine.
What time period was this in? Any idea of pack temps during this time frame.

My LEAF, June through December semi coastal OC. 6 bars June through October then 5 bars through Dec. No L3. mostly 100% L2 every night.

I thought I would lose #3 by Oct but still hanging on. No other instrumentation for details.

Lost my first bar yesterday, Jan 2. (Who loses a bar in January?) 6,813 miles and just shy of one year of ownership. I never QC and do 'just in time' charging as my schedule is predictable. Usually to 80%; occasionally to 100% but always just before I am about to leave. So glad it is just a two year lease.

DesertDenizen said:
Lost my first bar yesterday, Jan 2. (Who loses a bar in January?) 6,813 miles and just shy of one year of ownership. I never QC and do 'just in time' charging as my schedule is predictable. Usually to 80%; occasionally to 100% but always just before I am about to leave. So glad it is just a two year lease.
Wow -- is that an almost identical loss pattern as your first Leaf?

jhm614 said:
DesertDenizen said:
Wow -- is that an almost identical loss pattern as your first Leaf?

Eerie, isn't it?

DesertDenizen said:

sorry to hear about your loss. just one comment on your charging profile. i have to question your charging being complete just before you drive off.

this is adding more heat. not allowing any cooling after the charging event. and all done based on our notion that leaving the car fully charged for extended periods of time is bad which really has not been proven.

the heat issue I think we can say is a certainty. charging your car to full and leaving it up to 12 hours I have to say is not a risk worth worrying about.

in Jan where the ambient temps "might" be low enough, i would consider finishing the charge event earlier to allow some additional cooling. but then again, if your temps are in the 80's which i suspect they are, might not be much of a benefit

Back