Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dsh said:
Please add me to the WIKI Table Again!

Lost 3rd Bar, down to 9 bars only!

Date of Loss: 08/14/12
Mileage At Loss: 7,767
Months Owned At Loss: 2 1/2 weeks
Mfg Date: 3/11
Leaf VIN : 01069
Reported To Nissan: 08/14/2012
Case Number: 907-4980
Comments: 2nd bar lost in less than 2 weeks

I know you posted more details elsewhere, but would you (and other used/demo/etc. LEAF buyers) please edit their bar-loss comments, with whatever you know of your LEAF's history prior to your purchase , so it can be linked on the Wiki?

dsh said:
Please add me to the WIKI Table Again!

Reported To Nissan: 08/14/2012
Case Number: 907-4980

Yikes. Sorry to hear that. That's VERY LOW mileage for a 3-bar loss.

spike09 said:
Has anyone with a 2012 Leaf lost capacity yet?

I have a 2012 and live in Oklahoma I have not lost a bar yet but my gid meter only shows 258 on a full charge. When I got the meter just one month AGO I was getting 271 gids with 100% charge so its only a matter of time. Also leads me to believe that my car had already capasity loss from first day of ownership. But I had no meter to confirm. I would like my car to be reconised so they know Oklahoma has the same problem with record temps

dsh said:

I'm very sorry of the situation you're in.

Could you tell us if your car was taken to Casa Grande by Nissan? Also, is this a car that you bought used, in Phoenix area... maybe from CarMax? Is it a car that somebody wisely got rid of (there are quite a few now in Phoenix) knowing of battery problems?

Finally, is there any chance that you could do a range test? That would be running the car from 100% to turtle mode (or close to it). If you can, I don't want you just doing it without some very specific parameters being met (which I will be happy to coach you on). Please, don't do it willy nilly, as it won't provide the data we need, and will just waste your time.

What the purpose of such a test would be to know if you're car is experiencing an instrument error, or is there really almost 30% loss in range / autonomy. We will have to get, or borrow, a Gid meter, and finally, it would be helpful to have an official Nissan dealership battery test done AFTER the range test, so that they can tell us that everything is normal.

TonyWilliams said:
dsh said:

I'm very sorry of the situation you're in.

Could you tell us if your car was taken to Casa Grande by Nissan? Also, is this a car that you bought used, in Phoenix area... maybe from CarMax? Is it a car that somebody wisely got rid of (there are quite a few now in Phoenix) knowing of battery problems?

Finally, is there any chance that you could do a range test? That would be running the car from 100% to turtle mode (or close to it). If you can, I don't want you just doing it without some very specific parameters being met (which I will be happy to coach you on). Please, don't do it willy nilly, as it won't provide the data we need, and will just waste your time.

What the purpose of such a test would be to know if you're car is experiencing an instrument error, or is there really almost 30% loss in range / autonomy. We will have to get, or borrow, a Gid meter, and finally, it would be helpful to have an official Nissan dealership battery test done AFTER the range test, so that they can tell us that everything is normal.

that is an outrageous situation; 2.5 weeks.
good questions by Tony, too.

--------
Update:
not a new car.
I dont buy used for just such reasons. you get the car's history and the previous owner's bad habits.

thankyouOB said:
that is an outrageous situation; 2.5 weeks.
good questions by Tony, too.

Shhhh... OrientExpress will diagnose you with some illness with crazy talk like that :twisted:

We really do need to find out if range is impacted, as I'm reasonably sure it should be, which seems that Nissan didn't test for in Casa Grande. They didn't drive the cars enough for that.

Here is the info I know about VIN 001069, 2011 Nissan LEAF. It was a LEASE vehicle via Chandler, Power Nissan in 2011. In May, 2012 it received the 12 month battery check w/ software update. Battery tested as good.

Car is in imaculate shape, as most LEASE vehicles are and with extremely low miles, it will have to be determined why 3 bars lost in over year in service.

I had Car Max, where I purchased the car, make an appointment with Avondale Nissan this Friday, to review the battery condition i.e. capacity loss. It is still covered under Car Max's 30 day warranty.

Will keep you posted...

dsh said:
Here is the info I know about VIN 001069, 2011 Nissan LEAF. It was a LEASE vehicle via Chandler, Power Nissan in 2011. In May, 2012 it received the 12 month battery check w/ software update. Battery tested as good.

Car is in imaculate shape, as most LEASE vehicles are and with extremely low miles, it will have to be determined why 3 bars lost in over year in service.

I had Car Max, where I purchased the car, make an appointment with Avondale Nissan this Friday, to review the battery condition i.e. capacity loss. It is still covered under Car Max's 30 day warranty.

Will keep you posted...

AWESOME !!!! I recommend not going to a dealer, who will only give you a 5 star battery report and tell you "all is normal", UNLESS CarMax requires that. Give the car back to CarMax under their warranty. Then you learned a valuable lesson quite cheaply !

If you still want a LEAF, wait to see what Nissan actually does for this situation in Phoenix. Believe me when I say that whatever Nissan does will be vigorously debated here. Or you might just lease one, which I did. No battery worries. No concerns about value. I can get the battery as hot as I want, and quick charge as much as I want (within the limits prescribed by Nissan).

"dsh"...It is still covered under Car Max's 30 day warranty.

Will keep you posted...

That's good to know, depending on the Car Max warranty terms.

I think the real nightmare for a used LEAF buyer would to be to find that a previous owner's actions voided Nissan's battery warranty, then dumped the car on an unsuspecting new owner, through a third party, like Car Max.

No idea how Nissan will handle that situation, when it happens.

And it surely will...

edatoakrun said:
No idea how Nissan will handle that situation, when it happens.

And it surely will...

I know how CarMax will handle it. They aren't dumb enough to get burnt too many times with the LEAF. And that will likely negatively affect the fleet resale value.

dsh said:

dsh, sorry to hear about your loss.. Its a shame that the degradation accelerated into high gear.

shrink said:
Gonewild said:
I just lost me second bar today at 75% at full charge.

That is most unfortunate. I cannot imagine how frustrated you must be feeling.

Yes I am not happy.. I spoke with Mark Perry about 30 time in the last year which was great. I just got an email reply from the email I sent this morning.

I told him I can't wait to find out there is not real fix. The lease cancel is just to cheap right now at $429. If I wait a month the resale value of the car can drop as much as $5,000 or something and that $429 will turn to $5429.

I have about $8,000 in the car now and have saved about $3,000 in gas over the 25,000 I put on the car so it is not as bad as it could be. I $5,000 lesson is cheap compared to the $40,000 car full price.

Gonewild said:
Yes I am not happy.. I spoke with Mark Perry about 30 time in the last year which was great. I just got an email reply from the email I sent this morning.
Without compromising any information in the email reply, was the reply helpful or encouraging?

He said just a snip "We will have facts once in-field investigations are finished. Then we can decide appropriate action for all."

edatoakrun said:
azdre/opossum.
I think you have damaged your own credibility, with your 7/30 edit to your post starting this thread:
EDIT: 7/30/2012
Summary of thread: This is definitely a problem in hot climates. There appears to be NO correlation to car color, air conditioned garages, 80% charging, driving efficiency, miles driven, quick charging, or anything else beside outside ambient temperature.

I doubt he/she will give you more information if you insult them.. from all the data posted in this long thread the common denominator appears to be Arizona.. must be contaminated electrons from that sewage cooled nuclear plant.

Back