Can we make it home?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolmstead

Ridgecrest, California (100 miles east of Bakersfi
I've been chatting via email with another forum member who used the same dealer that I did, Antelope Valley Nissan. As it turns out, we're almost exactly the same distance from our dealer, about 85 miles.

The obvious question is whether or not we can drive our Leafs home. Much as I hate to admit it, I think the answer is 'NO'. At least, not if we stick to the main roads. In my case, it'll be almost 100% 65 to 70 mph highways. I would expect the Leaf to go about 65 miles at that speed. There's not the slightest doubt in my mind that I could do 85 miles in the Leaf, if I drove 45 mph. But I don't want to get hit, and driving 20 under is a dangerous thing to do. So, it looks like I take the truck and flatbed trailer.

Not the way I wanted to start my EV adventure...

Karl

kolmstead said:
I don't want to get hit, and driving 20 under is a dangerous thing to do. So, it looks like I take the truck and flatbed trailer.

This may sound a little silly, but how about finding a restaurant in Mojave that will let you (arrange in advance to) get some L1 charge while you have a leisurely meal? Eg. Mike's Family Roadhouse or similar? A couple of hours might put you over the top and get you home.

Try 55-60 with the cruise control and climate contol off and I bet you get 85 mile range easily.
Nothing unsafe about 55mph although you may want to stay out of the fast lane ;)

If it is flat, with no strong headwinds, driving "gently", you would probably make it going 65.

But, better to have a "Plan B" charging point arranged somewhere along your route.

Success or failure will probably be evident by 1/2 (or 2/3) of your trip, so recharging around 2/3 would be optimal.

What are the hills, and recharge possibilities?

kolmstead said:
I've been chatting via email with another forum member who used the same dealer that I did, Antelope Valley Nissan. As it turns out, we're almost exactly the same distance from our dealer, about 85 miles.

The obvious question is whether or not we can drive our Leafs home. Much as I hate to admit it, I think the answer is 'NO'. At least, not if we stick to the main roads. In my case, it'll be almost 100% 65 to 70 mph highways. I would expect the Leaf to go about 65 miles at that speed. There's not the slightest doubt in my mind that I could do 85 miles in the Leaf, if I drove 45 mph. But I don't want to get hit, and driving 20 under is a dangerous thing to do. So, it looks like I take the truck and flatbed trailer.

Not the way I wanted to start my EV adventure...

Karl

You will definitely be able to make it at 60-65 without A/C and or heat (from Mark Perry). Why isn't that fast enough in the right lane?

First of all, keep climate control off and remain in ECO mode to extend your range, and stay in the slow lane when possible.

Remember that the Leaf's display will tell you how many miles you have left and how much time it will take to recharge sufficiently to reach your destination.

If you do need to stop along the way to recharge, Mojave is en route (and of course there are several other little towns along the way). For each hour of charging at 120V you get 5 miles, so it will only take an hour or two (and it would be a good opportunity to relax for a while, eat something, and converse with the locals) - and I'm sure there will be lots of places in town that would be happy to lend you an outlet. :)

85 miles... Definitely use ECO mode before getting on the highway, and drive at 55mph on the right lane.
You'll be fine at that speed and you'll get home with a few miles remaining.
It's scary at first to make it home with only a few miles, but trust what the car tells you. It won't drop to zero towards the end. All you need is for the display to tell you that your remaining range is above your remaining trip distance.

I love this topic! Talk about a serious case of range anxiety! :~)

I've been driving one of those RAVs for 8 years now. We've got 27 kWh that takes us an easy 100, and with care, 120 miles. I have no hesitation taking it to under 1% as long as I know I'm within a mile of a charger.

The chargers we have available pale in comparison to what we'll have with the LEAF. We get access to about a billion L1 plugs, fer cryin' out loud!

Make this first trip memorable. Be brave! As the previous commenter suggests, err on the conservative side, use eco mode, and practice hypermiling. Once you've got a week of driving it, you'll be real comfortable with how far it'll go.

You'll be able to go 60-65 with no problem. That's how fast I drive.

In the RAV community, I don't know of anyone who ever ran out of juice. And with all those plugs out there, with more coming, this car will never run out of energy.

How about posting up there with your route and see if you can find a forum member that would "exchange" an hour of charge time for the chance at drooling over your car? I know I'd be happy to oblige if I were nearby your route! Maybe even someone that has just recently installed an EVSE, and you can "test it out" for them! ;)

Also, as mentioned, see if there are any other Nissan dealers and if they have a charging station installed that you could use. Try Chevy, for that matter! Maybe they've started installing chargers at their dealers?

Indeed, the very definition of range anxiety.

A simple 85 mile drive and you have to keep it below a certain speed and still hope you make it home. Either that or stop and wait an hour or two to charge somewhere in between. So an hour and a half drive turns into almost four hours.

Guy can't even drive his new car home from the dealer. :shock:

Where's the flux capacitor when you need it? :)

Just to be sure, Nick Chambers drove a LEAF in TN a couple months ago in the heat with AC on, in eco mode, over rolling hills and was at 116 miles with 4 more showing when he stopped. I asked him if he'd hypermiled, but he swears he didn't. Your 85 mile jaunt will be a piece of cake.

Looks like you can take a fairly direct, slower, and less travelled route to Mojave. That's a decent chunk of distance where you can really be efficient.

In general, I think LEAF drivers will tend to rediscover the "blue highways", for this exact reason.

Train said:

A simple 85 mile drive and you have to keep it below a certain speed and still hope you make it home. Either that or stop and wait an hour or two to charge somewhere in between. So an hour and a half drive turns into almost four hours.

Let's be fair, living with a LEAF is at this point largely uncharted territory. A few months after they get the car, their reaction to this trip may very well be "Pffft! No Problem".

PaulScott said:
Just to be sure, Nick Chambers drove a LEAF in TN a couple months ago in the heat with AC on, in eco mode, over rolling hills and was at 116 miles with 4 more showing when he stopped. I asked him if he'd hypermiled, but he swears he didn't. Your 85 mile jaunt will be a piece of cake.

+1! :mrgreen:

Train said:

Ok Train, what's wrong with driving 60-65? I drive 59-60 in the far right lane all the time. Gee, I get to my destination about five minutes later than someone driving 65 and get much better mileage! He'll have no trouble at all getting home despite your fud.

gudy said:
It's scary at first to make it home with only a few miles, but trust what the car tells you. It won't drop to zero towards the end.

This is very reassuring to hear from one of the two drivers in the world to have a Leaf. I have been worried that the Leaf energy gauge would act like so many consumer electronics battery gauges and drop abruptly towards the end. Thanks! for coming out of your car now and then to share your knowledge with the rest of us :)

If you truly are going to run low on e-fuel, at least do it where there are homes (or open businesses) to "beg" some low "e-tane" (120v) e-fuel, rather than in the middle of a 50-mile deserted stretch of road.

Yes, a little planning ahead should make things work smoothly.

Make up some "We Charged an EV" signs, and offer to give one to each helpful location.

Chocolates and Champagne can also be useful. :D

I'll have about a 65 mile drive back to south O.C. from Fontana. Maybe I'll make a video for posting. Toung & cheek ... pretending to be fearfull of running out of juice.
:D

Back