Burned L1 Plug

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wwhitney said:
KillaWhat said:
One of he weirdest and prevalent code violations, almost an accepted one, is the 15 amp outlet stuck on a circuit with a 20 amp breaker.
This is not a code violation. All 15 amp 120V receptacles are designed for 20 amp pass through and may be installed on a 20 amp circuit. Within any given grade of receptacle, I have been told the only difference between the 15 amp version and the 20 amp version is the presence of the extra slot on the 20 amp faceplate.

Cheers, Wayne
I would note that the advice above about installing a 20a outlet isn't quite right. He should NOT install a 20a outlet if this is a 15a circuit. If you do, someone might try to plug a 20a appliance into it.

davewill said:
wwhitney said:
KillaWhat said:
One of he weirdest and prevalent code violations, almost an accepted one, is the 15 amp outlet stuck on a circuit with a 20 amp breaker.
This is not a code violation. All 15 amp 120V receptacles are designed for 20 amp pass through and may be installed on a 20 amp circuit. Within any given grade of receptacle, I have been told the only difference between the 15 amp version and the 20 amp version is the presence of the extra slot on the 20 amp faceplate.

Cheers, Wayne
I would note that the advice above about installing a 20a outlet isn't quite right. He should NOT install a 20a outlet if this is a 15a circuit. If you do, someone might try to plug a 20a appliance into it.

That's okay, as long as the circuit is on a 15A breaker.

Valdemar said:
davewill said:

That's okay, as long as the circuit is on a 15A breaker.

It's really not.

davewill said:
He should NOT install a 20a outlet if this is a 15a circuit. If you do, someone might try to plug a 20a appliance into it.
Here is what the NEC has to say on the matter: If a 15A circuit supplies multiple receptacles, then all receptacles on the circuit should be 15A or less. If a 15A circuit supplies a single receptacle and no other loads, that receptacle should be 15A or greater. See 2011 NEC 210.21(B)(1) and (3).

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney said:
davewill said:
He should NOT install a 20a outlet if this is a 15a circuit. If you do, someone might try to plug a 20a appliance into it.
Here is what the NEC has to say on the matter: If a 15A circuit supplies multiple receptacles, then all receptacles on the circuit should be 15A or less. If a 15A circuit supplies a single receptacle and no other loads, that receptacle should be 15A or greater. See 2011 NEC 210.21(B)(1) and (3).

Cheers, Wayne
Wierd. So if I have an EVSEupgrade that will do 16a @ 120v, and plug it into what I think, by the outlet, is a 20a circuit, I could be overloading what turns out to be a 15a circuit. Good to know. Another reason to just be content with 12a.

davewill said:
Wierd. So if I have an EVSEupgrade that will do 16a @ 120v, and plug it into what I think, by the outlet, is a 20a circuit, I could be overloading what turns out to be a 15a circuit. Good to know. Another reason to just be content with 12a.
Part of why Nissan recommends against routine L1 charging.
A lot of what is installed in the US for 120V outlets that fully meets NEC requirements is just very bad practice for use with L1 vehicle charging.
You need to know the circuit breaker rating for what you are plugged into, and that you are the only thing using the circuit.
And as the OP details show, even if you've done that and hang the L1 brick off of the outlet every day, you will eventually end up with a bad situation on the 2011 / 2012 L1 that had no thermal monitoring of the connection.
Use lots of caution :!: :cry: :!: :cry:

davewill said:
I believe it's the same rule that lets you install a NEMA 6-50 outlet on a 40A circuit (for example, how many Blinks and other EVSEs are installed).

It's not any different than installing multiple 5-15 outlets (or your typical dual 5-15 outlet) on a 15A circuit. Plug two space heaters into your typical dual 5-15 outlet on a 15A circuit and you'll trip that circuit breaker in under a minute.

The 90 degree angled heavy duty plug looks more like what my 2013 came with. When I first got my car in the week or so before my Level 2 240v 32A evse was installed, I was lucky enough to have a shelf under the outlet that the inline block could rest on... but even with that it crept out of the outlet slightly after a few days... slipping.

Definitely replace both parts no back feeding, stabbing or other... use the screw terminals. You could also add a weather enclosure on the outlet to minimize corrosion.

Back