BOSE..is it worth it?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ku4ever2

I have been testing driving a couple Leafs. One was the SV with the premium package with Bose and the other was just a base SV (six speaker). I know it is REALLY tough to compare and depends on sound source, settings, etc...but I honestly could not tell much of an audio difference between the two. I know the premium pkg also has the all-around camera which is kind of nice but not sure the Bose is worth it?

Curious what others think that have tried/used both for awhile?

I really wanted the Around View Monitor but the Bose system was packaged together. To be honest, it doesn't sound that great. However, for $1050 it seemed reasonable.

Although I have no experience with that package directly, I can tell you that as a whole the BOSE brand is over priced for what you get. To the average joe, they typically do sound better than most cheap consumer brand speakers/headphones. But if you do your homework, there are lesser known brands in the same price range that are much better quality. None of which helps you in the LEAF since it's a take it or leave it scenario. If you're so inclined, you can probably get better value for your money with aftermarket upgrades.

braineo said:
if you couldn't tell the difference, why would paying $1,000 extra make it any better?
best answer, so instead of basing the decision on the audio the OP should be asking if he wants the cameras that are part of the package. fwiw I did not get the premium package on my sv

apvbguy said:
braineo said:
if you couldn't tell the difference, why would paying $1,000 extra make it any better?
best answer, so instead of basing the decision on the audio the OP should be asking if he wants the cameras that are part of the package. fwiw I did not get the premium package on my sv

It all depends on the user. I would never pay for premium sound but all our drivers love the backup camera. If we acquired a 2013 we'd definitely get the premium package for the all around view as the backup camera is not available above the S level.

As I understand it, all-around-view also has sensors to detect things like cars in your blind spot while changing lanes. Has anyone else heard of that?

If you adjust your side mirrors outward, there is absolutely no blind spots. Also, by having the Bose, you give up a LOT of the extra trunk space.

If you're leasing you're essentially buying the option for the next owner If you're unsure you want/need it, then the best course is so skip it. If you're buying then it's just personal preference (didn't know you lost hatch space, that would matter).

Also keep in mind that you can't go that far in a Leaf, so, unless your name is not Tony Williams, you're not going to be listening to music on an eight hour road trip.

I ended up getting the Premium package..but mainly because it was the cheapest SV on the lot from the Dealer offering me the best deal (in fact dealers with just a base SV could not beat the deal I was getting on SV with the premium). So it was between an SV with Premium or an SV with the LED/Charge package (pretty similar price). I figured I would get more benefit/use out of the camera/Bose than the LED/charge..especially since there are NO quick charge stations around where I live.

I agree with most comments though.. don't think the Bose is worth what you pay..but in a 24 month lease it doesn't add much to the cost. I definitely like the all around back up cameras.

Overall VERY happy with my new purchase. Just drove it home today :D :mrgreen:

LEAFfan said:
If you adjust your side mirrors outward, there is absolutely no blind spots. Also, by having the Bose, you give up a LOT of the extra trunk space.
The Bose amp is only an inch or two high. It does not take up much cargo room.

I owned a 2011 and now have the 2013 with the Bose. The sound is much better with the Bose, but not on par with the sound I had in my Infiniti G35. Still, the Premium package seems worth it to me, the camera system is great and the sound is clearly better.

SteveInSeattle said:
I owned a 2011 and now have the 2013 with the Bose. The sound is much better with the Bose, but not on par with the sound I had in my Infiniti G35. Still, the Premium package seems worth it to me, the camera system is great and the sound is clearly better.

Is it just speakers that are improved with the Bose system, or is the car stereo itself improved with additional features or a better UI?

KeithFrechette said:
SteveInSeattle said:

Is it just speakers that are improved with the Bose system, or is the car stereo itself improved with additional features or a better UI?
are you buying a car or it's radio? I did not get the upgrade package that the bose was part of, if you really dig on having good sound in your car then it is worth it, if all you listen talk radio then I would say no it is not worth it

The electronics and speakers are very similar to what has been offered in the Volt Bose system for a couple of years...

KeithFrechette said:

The car just needs new speakers and it fixes the problem. This has been dealt with 2 years ago. I would not invest in Bose. The whole shebang will set anyone back 200 bucks at the most.

Swapping the speakers was the best thing I've done in the car (besides changing the meep-meeper for a real horn).

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cgaydos said:
apvbguy said:
braineo said:

It all depends on the user. I would never pay for premium sound but all our drivers love the backup camera. If we acquired a 2013 we'd definitely get the premium package for the all around view as the backup camera is not available above the S level.

As I understand it, all-around-view also has sensors to detect things like cars in your blind spot while changing lanes. Has anyone else heard of that?

Hi cgaydos, no the 2013 SL that I have with the premium package does NOT have proximity sensors, just the camera. It does have a spiffy projected track box on the image that shows where the car is headed (forward or backwards, depending on your use).

I like the Bose stereo, but have to admit I was being extravagant when I chose it.

Can't say I like the navigation system though. Sheesh, even my 10 year old Garmin Nuvi is easier to use and more accurate.

Despite that, I LOVE driving this car!!

M.

I didn't notice much of a difference between the two systems while playing the radio. However, when I paired my phone and played MP3s through bluetooth audio, the difference was much more apparent. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has compared the Bose system with a standard system with upgraded speakers though.

I've had many luxury cars and systems, as I'm an avid music listener. Although not as powerful as the system in my Infiniti G35, this system is very acceptable. I too play music through my Galaxy S3 via Bluetooth and I’m very happy with the upgrade. It’s really a personal choice, but if you like music more than standard talk / radio stations then I’d say get it. I’m not sure how good you can make the stock radio sound with better speakers, but that may be an option at a lower cost.

Dave...

ku4ever2 said:
I have been testing driving a couple Leafs. One was the SV with the premium package with Bose and the other was just a base SV (six speaker). I know it is REALLY tough to compare and depends on sound source, settings, etc...but I honestly could not tell much of an audio difference between the two. I know the premium pkg also has the all-around camera which is kind of nice but not sure the Bose is worth it?

Curious what others think that have tried/used both for awhile?

I got the Premium Package because I wanted the best sound option offered and didn't want to build something aftermarket. Yes, Bose is overpriced and nowhere near audiophile quality, but it's okay. The camera adds a nice touch to be able to see in front when approaching and in back when backing up. It's cool.

We are sacrificing range anxiety and luxuries many of us had in other ICE cars. I wanted as many options as Nissan offered. Hopefully, the Infiniti EV will be out by the time my lease ends.

Back