Blink charger problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
By reboot, I meant you have to unplug it (won't reboot by touching screen). When you unplug it, the calibration screen comes on and you have to do that plus all the other inputting of your info.
Yes, I know. If you just walk away after you plug it back in, it will eventually time out as I indicated.

davewill said:
LEAFfan said:
By reboot, I meant you have to unplug it (won't reboot by touching screen). When you unplug it, the calibration screen comes on and you have to do that plus all the other inputting of your info.
Yes, I know. If you just walk away after you plug it back in, it will eventually time out as I indicated.

Thanks guys - I found that my Blink EVSE had an Error 502 with the nonresponsive orange screen this evening. This had probably happened last night sometime after starting the charging at midnite. I was awake and heard the EVSE "thunk" on, but when I later looked out my window, I was puzzled that the blue lights were not lit or blinking. This morning I found that I hadn't gotten the usual "Charging Complete" email, and the car was not full of charge (fortunately it was still about 70%). I thought maybe this was a one time error on my part and did not check the EVSE.

Tonight when the blue lights did not come on as I plugged in the EVSE, I checked the Blink display and saw the error screen. As LEAFfan noted, that orange screen was unresponsive. However, I unplugged the circuit breaker and plugged it back in, the Blink unit rebooted, and now without me doing anything, it is linked back up to my wifi. The Leaf is now happily drinking in charge.

Is there any more news about the Error 502 or a Blink firmware update?

davewill said:

Cool Dave! I'll try that if I get that '502' error again. That will save me lots of time and data! Thanks!

One of our friends got their Blink installed the other week and got their 2nd meter installed last Thursday. They hadn't needed to use it yet, but checked it out over the weekend and it was acting very wonky.

The calibration screen was showing up and was not responding to touches. Reboot it (pull the plug, wait 5 min and plug it back in) and same thing - couldn't get past the calibration screen. Apparently it still charges, though. They'll be calling to get it replaced ASAP.

So far mine has been very solid - aside from the reboots it seems to perform itself every couple days have only had that 502 error once and haven't had anything affect charging.

One thing I have recently noticed that seems to be problematic. The J1772 spec states that the EVSE should discontinue charging when the latch is pressed on the connector, which actuates the disconnect switch inside. On my Blink this does not work. The charger continues charging when the latch is pressed and will let you disconnect the connector with it still hot and charging. This is obviously both a safety and a connector longevity problem.

Is this a design defect in the Blink in general or does my specific unit have a problem? If someone could verify how their Blink unit handles this, I would appreciate it. The switch does click when I press the latch so I know it is present and seemingly operational.

Mogur, mine behaves just like yours. Clicking down on the handle doesn't cause an electrical disconnection. The charging continues. The only way I can disconnect safely and early is to click the "Stop Charging" button on the Blink.

OK, it is a design deficiency then. I'm surprised it could get through UL certification with this oversight...

Volusiano said:
Mogur, mine behaves just like yours. Clicking down on the handle doesn't cause an electrical disconnection. The charging continues. The only way I can disconnect safely and early is to click the "Stop Charging" button on the Blink.

It may be worthwhile to call Blink support up and ask them why they have this design deficiency. Maybe it's something they can fix with a firmware update. I have to assume that it's not a mechanical design efficiency if they had bought the J1772 connector from a trusted supplier that had designed it as spec'ed.

Yep, I sent off a ticket to Blink bringing it up. We'll see what they say...

Volusiano said:
It may be worthwhile to call Blink support up and ask them why they have this design deficiency. Maybe it's something they can fix with a firmware update. I have to assume that it's not a mechanical design efficiency if they had bought the J1772 connector from a trusted supplier that had designed it as spec'ed.

I read about so many problems with the blink that I had a 20A dedicated line installed by an electrician while waiting for the 240 instal. It's hard to figure just how many of us have these issues, it certainly seams like quite a few, but I have to say that having the blink hard wired and not using the wifi, I have yet to experience issues and i'm feeling lucky. I've done hundreds of charges since it's install, driving nearly 4.5K miles now... fingers crossed!

g

I've had mine for almost 6 months now and have basically had no problems with it during that time. And I'm on WiFi.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I read about so many problems with the blink that I had a 20A dedicated line installed by an electrician while waiting for the 240 instal. It's hard to figure just how many of us have these issues, it certainly seams like quite a few, but I have to say that having the blink hard wired and not using the wifi, I have yet to experience issues and i'm feeling lucky. I've done hundreds of charges since it's install, driving nearly 4.5K miles now... fingers crossed!

mogur said:
I've had mine for almost 6 months now and have basically had no problems with it during that time. And I'm on WiFi.

GaslessInSeattle said:

that's good to hear. they could not get it to pick up our WiFi during install so it's wired though a 120 adapter http://shop.varia-store.com/product...303-200Mbps-HomePlug-AV-PowerLine-Bundle.html. It's seems like a great solution when WiFi isn't working well and simpler than running an extra cable. I've never had to use one before so I didn't even know they existed.
g

How far away is your router from the Blink unit, Mogur? Mine is about 50 feet away and while my laptop wifi works fine where the Blink is, the Blink can't connect reliably. But ever since they hooked me up with a PLI device to the Blink, the problem has been solved.

I wonder if the new 1.7A firmware coming out will improve the wifi issue or not.
mogur said:

GaslessInSeattle said:

The Blink unit didn't turn on last night and today it isn't recognizing that the car is plugged in. With about 9 miles of range left, we need to get some charge into this car!

I phoned Blink and was told that this is an issue other people have been reporting, and that there's a firmware update they need to push to our unit. Has anyone else here know anything about this?

My router is on top of the bookcase in my office which makes it three walls and about 45 feet away from the Blink. I'm using the high power Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.

Volusiano said:
How far away is your router from the Blink unit, Mogur? Mine is about 50 feet away and while my laptop wifi works fine where the Blink is, the Blink can't connect reliably. But ever since they hooked me up with a PLI device to the Blink, the problem has been solved.

Ellen said:
The Blink unit didn't turn on last night and today it isn't recognizing that the car is plugged in. With about 9 miles of range left, we need to get some charge into this car!

I phoned Blink and was told that this is an issue other people have been reporting, and that there's a firmware update they need to push to our unit. Has anyone else here know anything about this?
A power cycle on the Blink won't fix the problem for you? Push comes to shove, you can always use the portable Panasonic EVSE that comes with the Leaf for 120V charging. It's time like this that having a 240V modification on your portable EVSE comes in handy.

Volusiano said:
Ellen said:

A power cycle on the Blink won't fix the problem for you?

Yeah, after not getting a phone call back from Blink about the promised firmware update, we rebooted the Blink (by cycling the power off and on) and it started up properly. That's the 4th reboot of the Blink in the less than 2 months that we've had the car -- it sure would be nice if the unit had a power switch to avoid those trips to the circuit box in the basement!

Ellen said:
Yeah, after not getting a phone call back from Blink about the promised firmware update, we rebooted the Blink (by cycling the power off and on) and it started up properly. That's the 4th reboot of the Blink in the less than 2 months that we've had the car -- it sure would be nice if the unit had a power switch to avoid those trips to the circuit box in the basement!

I've unplugged mine many times since I received it in April. But it has never failed to charge no matter what malfunction it has had. Don't you have it plugged in to a receptacle? The tech made it flush with the wall. You don't have to use your breakers.

mogur said:
My router is on top of the bookcase in my office which makes it three walls and about 45 feet away from the Blink. I'm using the high power Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.
You got a good one (Blink, that is).

My router is one wall and about 15' from the Blink, but Blinky can't connect reliably to it. My cell phone and laptop show full bars/excellent signal strength from roughly the same position (actually, a few feet farther away from the router).

The powerline adapter has made that all a non-issue. I've got another one helping out with our PV system's monitoring box--they're very handy devices.

LEAFfan said:
Ellen said:

I've unplugged mine many times since I received it in April. But it has never failed to charge no matter what malfunction it has had. Don't you have it plugged in to a receptacle? The tech made it flush with the wall. You don't have to use your breakers.

Yes, you do, if it's an outdoor installation. Those are hardwired. If the Blink doesn't recognize that it's plugged into the LEAF, it will not charge. There won't be any clunks and the blue lights won't flash. This is one of the issues that the firmware upgrade is supposed to address.

Back