Blink charger problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walterbays said:
davewill said:
It's a shame that they can't/won't fix Carwings, because between not having miles driven, and possible charging outside their network, there are limits to what Blink can do as far as data tracking goes.
Carwings does have miles driven, just nothing relating to charging.
That's what I was trying to say. Blink CAN'T get miles driven or charging outside their network, so we really need CarWings to step up with charging data.

davewill said:
I you go to "My Chargers" and choose "manage" you can get detailed charging history
Thanks davewill. I was looking for this under reports, silly me.

I went to a friends (he has a Leaf too), I went to plug into his Blink and it was reporting that it was on day 10 of a charge and counting. I ignored this and plugged in. The relays clunked and the car started charging as normal. There was no change on the screen. The same applied when I unplugged. The "clunks" sounded correct for an end of charging but screen just kept ticking along.

Anyone else seen this?

His system is hardwired and he did care enough about this to toggle the breaker to reboot.

Our Blink locked up today... screen was just lit white and blank (no text at all) when I plugged in the LEAF. The car did, however, start charging. Power cycling the Blink via circuit breaker returned the unit to normal operation. I guess the current firmware is still a bit buggy.

I did notice I lost the ability to talk to the unit via LAN a few days ago, but didn't bother rebooting it. I guess that was the start of it's slow downfall?

I've been getting that orange screen with...ah...test fault, or something like that, when I plug in, fairly frequently now.

The car WON'T charge when that happens--at least not on timer, haven't tried doing an immediate charge, but I doubt that would work, either.

It says touch the screen to reset, which eventually does get you back to the main screen, but if you plug in, you get the fault again.

The only fix--provided by Blink support--is to power down the Blink for several minutes (10 or so...let all the caps drain; unplugged for 30 seconds or so won't do it) and power back up. Works every time, but it really kills the convenience factor!

Anybody else getting this?

walterbays said:
Don't trust Carwings regarding mileage. It didn't log a full day's travel once and the mileage it shows does not always match my odometer. (Yes, I accept Carwings every time I drive.)

Carwings mileage is off almost 600 miles for me, on the low side...

91040 said:
walterbays said:
Don't trust Carwings regarding mileage. It didn't log a full day's travel once and the mileage it shows does not always match my odometer. (Yes, I accept Carwings every time I drive.)

lonndoggie said:
I've been getting that orange screen with...ah...test fault, or something like that, when I plug in, fairly frequently now. Anybody else getting this?

Every so often, I've been getting an orange square that says "Error Code 502". It also says to tap the screen to reset but that never works. However, it doesn't keep me from charging, and it doesn't record the data. So this one may be different. Does yours say, "Error Code 502"?

SharonaLA said:
It usually does do an immediate charge, even with the error message on the screen.

Have you been getting that '502' error message too? I wrote Blink, but they said they corrected it with an update...lol...not mine.

LEAFfan said:
lonndoggie said:
I've been getting that orange screen with...ah...test fault, or something like that, when I plug in, fairly frequently now. Anybody else getting this?

Every so often, I've been getting an orange square that says "Error Code 502". It also says to tap the screen to reset but that never works. However, it doesn't keep me from charging, and it doesn't record the data. So this one may be different. Does yours say, "Error Code 502"?
I think I've gotten that, too--but in big letters it's something like "Self Test Fault". I'll take a picture next time it happens.

Oh--also the Blink starts beeping--a kind of raspy beep, a definite "danger buzzer" thing to it. Keeps doing it 'til you clear the fault (or power cycle, of course).

lonndoggie said:
I've been getting that orange screen with...ah...test fault, or something like that, when I plug in, fairly frequently now.

The car WON'T charge when that happens--at least not on timer, haven't tried doing an immediate charge, but I doubt that would work, either.

It says touch the screen to reset, which eventually does get you back to the main screen, but if you plug in, you get the fault again.

The only fix--provided by Blink support--is to power down the Blink for several minutes (10 or so...let all the caps drain; unplugged for 30 seconds or so won't do it) and power back up. Works every time, but it really kills the convenience factor!

Anybody else getting this?

+1

SharonaLA said:
It usually does do an immediate charge, even with the error message on the screen.
Might depend on the error message. The LEAF responds as if it's not even plugged in--it doesn't make any of its characteristic clunks, nor do the lights on the dash do anything.

However, if it happens again, I'll give that a whirl.

lonndoggie said:
SharonaLA said:
Might depend on the error message. The LEAF responds as if it's not even plugged in--it doesn't make any of its characteristic clunks, nor do the lights on the dash do anything.

Sometimes I would have to plug it in, unplug it and then plug it in a second time for the car to start charging on an immediate charge. The error code I used to get was:

System Code: 6
EVSE error: 12

SharonaLA said:
lonndoggie said:
SharonaLA said:
Sometimes I would have to plug it in, unplug it and then plug it in a second time for the car to start charging on an immediate charge. The error code I used to get was:
System Code: 6
EVSE error: 12

Ah, I've never gotten that one.

LEAFfan said:
lonndoggie said:

I bet you don't use the Blink's timers. If the error occurs outside the timer, it probably won't charge.

I was getting the "6 / 12" error code too (the name from the Blink CS people)… and was told to unplug it, wait 10 mins and then start over. This usually cleared it. After a week or so, it then wouldn't clear right away after unplugging/plug back in - it took 4 times. The Blink people said it was the card (an SD card?) and sent someone out to replace it.

That repair person saw that we were not (and apparently had not been for a long while) connected to the Blink network. After trying to figure it out over 2 hours, they decided to replace the whole unit. Did that last week and it now connects to the network and no more error messages (knocking on wood).

For the Error Code 502, it does no good to unplug it because it just comes back a day or two later. I sent them an email and we'll see if they fix it this time. So far again, it hasn't reappeared and I didn't unplug it.

Electronics have it in for me now, it seem:

-- My cell phone died last night--can't make it past initial "SAMSUNG" screen. Got a new one coming tomorrow.
-- Our PV monitoring system has lost its mind; the inverter is failing to transmit its data, been working on that for some time with the manufacturer, but not getting much closer to a resolution.
-- Our X10 controls have a ghost in them--sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

...and, of course, there's the appropriately named Blink.

My "Self-Test Fault Has Occurred" error has gotten more severe. Last night, it took two long power cycles to get it to work. Tonight, after about six or so, it's still failing.

I've switched to L1 for now. Happy to see that that fired up with nary a hitch (since I hadn't tried it before).

I couldn't get the car's timer override to work, as was suggested as a workaround for this fault. It won't charge, no how, no way, when that self-test error is in place.

Sent an update to Blink support for the ticket I've got open on this. I'm thinking I need a new Blink. One that works on a more regular basis.

PS--I'd said I'd take a picture of the error screen for this--which I did. It's on the memory card in my dead phone. :roll:

EDIT: Left the Blink unplugged all night. Tried hooking it up this morning--self-test fault, immediately. They're scheduling a visit.

Back