BC2BC Mexico to Canada via Electric Highway June 12-20, 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
At least they should take a look at the techniques used by the gas pump industry!
Or, visit the Zoo and talk to the researchers who build "toys" for the Orangutans!

Weird coincidence. We just used those buttons in a product. Apparently they will even stand up to doctors!

But it's backed by unlimited funds for repair! :lol: . . . . Actually that isn't funny! :(

TonyWilliams said:
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of "mil-spec", FAA approved, et al, to suggest some higher standard. It's a standard, surely, but many times as prone to break down, and since it's "approved", it can't be properly fixed without making it a "federal case".

Certainly better than no specification, low ball, cheapest button they could find, of course :mrgreen:

By the way - FOR ALL PUGET SOUNDERS,

In case anyone here is not part of the Seattle Nissan Leaf Owners group on FB, there is a meet-up with Tony tomorrow after his epic venture, Wednesday at Tutta Bella Pizza at 2200 Westlake Avenue, Seattle, WA on top of Whole Foods, starting around 6PM.

There is underground parking under Whole Foods as well as street parking (max 2 hr) surrounding the adjacent SLU Discovery Center on 9th and St. John streets. The Discovery Center's parking lot off Westlake Ave. N has (1) L2 and hopefully, still operational, a test phase (1) L3. Also, PlugShare shows L2 charging in the high-rise building across the street to the West of Whole foods but I have not checked it out.

There is a great outdoor space on the top of the stairs next to Whole Foods. We can congregate there (weather permitting) then move into the restaurant/bar as we see fit.

This area is typical crowded downtown but hopefully Tony can park his car where it can get good exposure to the public and we can gawk (maybe take pictures) at the awesome graphics he put on his Leaf.

*** As a contingency, in case there is a change in Tony's plans, the date may change. *** But so far he is on track

SPOT Live shows Tony halfway through Oregon. Go, Tony, go!

TonyWilliams said:
Portland government meet up Tuesday on "Electric Highway" at 2pm, so I'll be working to hit that date/time.
That broken QC in Ashland seems to have ruined that plan. Maybe he'll get there before it's over. I am sure he will have something to say about the infrastructure!

gbarry42 said:
SPOT Live shows Tony halfway through Oregon. Go, Tony, go!

TonyWilliams said:
Portland government meet up Tuesday on "Electric Highway" at 2pm, so I'll be working to hit that date/time.
That broken QC in Ashland seems to have ruined that plan. Maybe he'll get there before it's over. I am sure he will have something to say about the infrastructure!

First, I'm getting told by the state of Oregon that exit 216 at Halsey has a QC. Others say no. Who is right?

Right now, I'm seriously abusing this poor battery by pumping it to 100% while at 9, then 10 temp bars (well over 120F / 50C). The DC charger stopped at 80% SOC, like it is programmed to do, but my first thought was an auto-shutdown. 10 temp bars, by the way, is at redline.

I'm at 87% Gid now, after the restart, hopefully on the way to 100%. That battery should have TONS of energy at this temp!!!

While my last charge before Portland is ongoing, I crossed the California border on I-5 at 7:25am, and arrive in Eugene/Springfield at 1:09pm.

The battery is getting hot, so that is the only thing that will slow me up. So far, 1442 miles in 8.5 days, but today, so far, 197 miles, and 100 more miles today to Portland. I should be there by 4pm.

Tony

Sent from my iPad

My official Washington state briefing:

On Jun 19, 2012, at 12:26 PM, "Buell, Tonia" <[email protected]> wrote:

Please note that five AeroVironment DC fast chargers are available on I-5: http://evsolutions.avinc.com/services/subscriber_network/57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ridgefield, Washington – Exit 14
Centralia, Washington – Exit 82
Tumwater, Washington – Exit 102
Burlington, Washington – Exit 229
Bellingham, Washington – Exit 252

The longest stretch is the 68 miles between Ridgefield and Centralia—please drive carefully. (In July, the West Coast Electric Highway will include a DC fast charger in Castle Rock to strengthen this section).

Although it’s not officially listed, I’m told that the Blink DC fast charger is up and running in Seattle—please check with ECOtality: http://www.blinknetwork.com/locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for using the West Coast Electric Highway and demonstrating that traveling long distances in an electric vehicle is possible.  On Saturday, ten Nissan Leaf drivers, a Tesla driver, and a Mitsubishi I-MiEV driver all successful drove from Seattle to Wenatchee—more than 100 miles along US 2.  They did it with range confidence and without a drop of gasoline: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/sets/72157630182788246/with/7396911096/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;  

Best wishes for a full charge and safe journey.

Tonia Buell
Project Development and Communications Manager
Public-Private Partnerships
Washington State Department of Transportation
Office: 360.705.7439

Springfield / Eugene, Oregon, 100 miles south of Portland:

e01f276d.jpg

Ashland, Oregon with a broken start button:

2610a220.jpg

Exit 216, Halsey, Brownsville. On your right headed N. It is on plugshare. It has a QC,L2, & two Wagon wheel carts, one built in the 1800s. I used the QC last time I came from Hood River. Go Tony go!

I crossed the border of California (again) at 7:25am, and things are going smooth.

8:05 / 8:20am - Central Point - 34 miles - temps F/bars 45/6 - starting/stopping Gids ---/75%

9:11 / 9:37am - Wolf Creek - 44 miles - 52/6 - 21%/71%

10:09/10:24am - Canyonville - 23 miles - 60/6 - 45%/76%

11:00/11:07am - Roseburg - 27 miles - 58/7 - 40%/57%

11:48/11:57am - Rice Hill - 26 miles - 63/8 - 28%/72%

12:23/12:34pm - Cottage Grove - 26 miles - 63/9 - 42%/64%

1:09/2:20???? - Springfield/Eugene - 21 miles - 63/10 - 38%/100% ???

Halsey?

Portland

TonyWilliams said:
How the F do they make a "$50k" machine with a button that can physically break? And it only needs three... Start, stop, and emergency shutoff.
Dumb.

Now we know it isn't just Blink QCs that go on the blink. :eek:

Tony...I posted this in another thread, but you are in a prime position to try this out. I'm wondering about the battery heat making its way out, since everyone has his own theories about how it cools down. If you could feel around the carpets and also the underside and see if you can detect warmth, we would have a clue as to how much, and by what means, heat is leaving the battery tray. We know it eventually gets out...somehow.

Or, pick up an IR camera and start shooting :geek:

There really shouldn't be that much confusion over it. It is essentially just a big sealed box and like any such box it gives off (or picks up) heat by a combination of radiation and conduction, mostly the former...

gbarry42 said:
We know it eventually gets out...somehow.

Tony, u are better off to exit I-5 at #101 (tumwater blvd) head right (East) to Capitol Blvd ( there is Inferno's Pizza on SE corner, Chevron on NE corner, Airport to the South) turn left and charger is at Shell station on the left about 3-4 blocks.

so the theory of using DCFC for only the bottom 2/3rd of pack to keep pack cooler did not work then i take it?

12 hours exactly, California to Washington state.... Seattle, I'll be there tomorrow !!!!

Total mileage from Hilt, CA to Vancouver, Washington:

310 miles

Total for today:

375 miles

:mrgreen:

TomT said:
There really shouldn't be that much confusion over it. It is essentially just a big sealed box and like any such box it gives off (or picks up) heat by a combination of radiation and conduction, mostly the former...

gbarry42 said:
We know it eventually gets out...somehow.

Someone will be offering some add on cooling fins I bet.

LEAFfan said:
TonyWilliams said:
How the F do they make a "$50k" machine with a button that can physically break? And it only needs three... Start, stop, and emergency shutoff.
Dumb.

Now we know it isn't just Blink QCs that go on the blink. :eek:

Any machine built by men will fail. What's different about Oregon's AeroVironment DC / L2 combo charge stations is that exactly one out of 12 total charge events today (10 of those on fast DC) were not fully successful. The repair is already being made to the switch, I'm told.

Blink is ZERO for 3. Their crap stays broken for loooooong periods of time, and fails frequently.

Gosh, I don't think there is a comparison.

gbarry42 said:
Tony...I posted this in another thread, but you are in a prime position to try this out. I'm wondering about the battery heat making its way out, since everyone has his own theories about how it cools down. If you could feel around the carpets and also the underside and see if you can detect warmth, we would have a clue as to how much, and by what means, heat is leaving the battery tray. We know it eventually gets out...somehow.

Or, pick up an IR camera and start shooting :geek:

I didn't feel even the tiniest bit of heat anywhere (with ambient in the high 50's / low 60's). From the charge just before Portland (85 miles), the battery actually cooled down during the drive.

I had the WORST CASE scenario of hot battery at 10 temp bars, and DC fast charging above 90%, and the car never missed a beat. Granted, that's not Phoenix summer heat to operate in.

SEATTLE and WASHINGTON state LEAFers who want to caravan from exit 149a.

Everybody, I'm in Vancouver, WA, USA for the night. I intend to return to the border of Oregon early in the morning, and head north, as I did today by starting at the California border. 

I don't have an ETA yet for exit 149a. I travel about 55mph, so that will be 3 hours time with the wheels turning, and at least two 30 minute sessions on a charger somewhere. So, 4 hours from my start AT THE BORDER! 

Everybody will have plenty of heads up, so if I leave by 8am, expect about 12 noon there.

Back