Battery warranty question on an 8 bar Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcm4453

I’ve got a friend looking at buying an 8 bar car on ebay hoping to get a free new battery under warranty. Does Nissan require proof of all yearly battery checks in order to qualify for a replacement battery under the degradation warranty?

I did and they said all the yearly battery checks need to be done to qualify. I don't think they are right about this, hoping somebody who has gone through this can verify?

rcm4453 said:
I did and they said all the yearly battery checks need to be done to qualify. I don't think they are right about this, hoping somebody who has gone through this can verify?

We've gone back and forth on this for years (or maybe it just seems years). I'm personally from the camp who think it's too big a risk to not have had the checks done. I know others are going to insist to the contrary. I have no beef with that POV, but it's just that we've never been able to establish the truth of the matter either way.

Technically, they can disqualify a warranty claim if the yearly battery checks have not been documented; most folks do them because the first couple are "free" anyway (in fact, my dealer never charged me for a battery check). You can ask another dealer, but even if they say "ok", it's possible Nissan will still reject the claim once submitted.
It's a sticky wicket.

Thanks for all the input!

I told my friend to find out from the seller if the yearly battery checks were done. If the seller doesn't have the documentation then I'm strongly suggesting that my friend not buy this car, too risky.

I am getting my 8 bar car battery replaced as we speak. I bought it 6 months ago and it has never had a battery check. I believe that there was some language in the settlement that states you don't need the annual check done. You do need to get the software update done. Call 877-no-gas-EV not the dealership to see if the cars is eligible for a new battery. They can also tell you if it needs the update first. They can tell you with the VIN. A lot of dealers have no clue.

DiamondDan73 said:
I am getting my 8 bar car battery replaced as we speak. I bought it 6 months ago and it has never had a battery check. I believe that there was some language in the settlement that states you don't need the annual check done. You do need to get the software update done. Call 877-no-gas-EV not the dealership to see if the cars is eligible for a new battery. They can also tell you if it needs the update first. They can tell you with the VIN. A lot of dealers have no clue.

Thanks a bunch for this info, I will definitely tell my friend to call that number.

rcm4453 said:
Thanks for all the input!

I told my friend to find out from the seller if the yearly battery checks were done. If the seller doesn't have the documentation then I'm strongly suggesting that my friend not buy this car, too risky.

Hi!

I'm afraid that would be the WRONG advice to give your friend.

They have been replacing the batteries WITHOUT ALL the annual battery checks being done.

The only case you would need verification of ALL of the annual battery checks is if you were battling them on the manufacturers DEFECT/drivetrain warranty and not the battery CAPACITY warranty. A member on this forum won a settlement on a Leaf that was OUT of battery CAPACITY WARRANTY after having complained to BBB for satisfaction pertaining to MANUFACTURERS DEFECT/drivetrain warranty and it appears that having performed ALL of the annual battery checks was a pivotal point in winning his case and receiving a FREE replacement.

Again, this was a car that no longer qualified for the battery CAPACITY warranty but did get a free replacement under the DEFECT/drivetrain warranty. It is speculation at this point if BBB will handle any more complaints such as that one in the future. But we have a clue as to what Nissan will use to refute a DEFECT/drivetrain warranty.

Make sure the vehicle was not opted out of the lawsuit of Klee v. Nissan by contacting the 1-800-NO GAS EV. Most of us have found out that we can most times find a clueless employees regarding the Nissan Leaf at a Nissan Dealership. The business policy of Nissan (has been) to replace the 8 bar battery even without all of the annual battery checks. Just don't quiz the un-informed at the dealer to make a decision as to what they have to do because they will have to look it up. What is written is Contrary to what they have been doing in business practice. Nissan Corporate (so far) does not request of them records of previous battery checkups. The dealer ONLY provides the current test at 8 bars for the replacement verification.

When your friend takes it to the dealer he just tells them that it qualifies for the battery capacity warranty because it is at 8 bars, they will verify that it is at 8 bars and schedule a battery test on it, further confirming, and then they order a replacement. There has been a report on this forum of a Dealer employee who did not know of the 8 bar capacity replacement warranty and refused to acknowledge it.

Yes, the original paperwork that came with the car does say they want annual checkups but this really is for giving customers a worthless 5 star report card to make the customer feel good and a sense of achievement. Not getting the checks after the first 2 that are provided free, has NOT been a road block or issue to getting a new battery when dropping to 8 bars before 5 years/ 60,000 miles.

If some clueless Service Writer were to oddly roadblock your friend (highly doubtful), go to a different Service Writer or Dealer that knows better. The best policy is to not even bring up the annual checkups. I personally have already brought it up to several Dealer service departments (because of a debate on this forum) and have been flatly told that they are not required past the first 2 free ones. I own two cars that did not have all of the battery checks done and received battery replacements with NO PROBLEM at two different dealerships. I know others who have done the same. Good luck, and I hope he gets his amazing new car/battery and praises you for your input!

Legally Nissan doesn't have to give free NEW batteries EITHER for owners who were not class members or owners who opted-out. A person would not be a class member, unless as an owner, they were mailed a packet concerning the suit in 2013. However, as a business practice, Nissan has been replacing 8 bar degraded batteries (so far) with NEW instead of repairing to a 9 bar minimum. That is a whole different thread... Amended Settlement: Klee v. Nissan.

Back