How to read LeafSpy & Use it to get new Battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acd

Hi!
Long time listener, first time caller. I finally got it together and got my dongle & Leafspy.

Background:
I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf SL
Private sale a year ago
65k miles
Love the car!

I have 10 bars, but SOH is 72%
I’m still under warranty and I want to get the battery replaced.

My Questions:
-How do I read the LeafSpy report?
-How do I use this information at the dealership for repairs/replacements?

Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_2197.png
    IMG_2197.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2196.png
    IMG_2196.png
    257.2 KB · Views: 0
You can't use Leaf spy to get a replacement battery PERIOD! If the car is acting up, and the dealer can confirm the symptoms, and determines the battery is at fault, you may get a battery from Nissan.
Nissan doesn't recognize Leafspy as anything.
If you have a battery that bricks the car on the side of the road, eight bars or less you might have a chance, otherwise you can buy one yourself.

You can't use Leaf spy to get a replacement battery PERIOD! If the car is acting up, and the dealer can confirm the symptoms, and determines the battery is at fault, you may get a battery from Nissan.
Nissan doesn't recognize Leafspy as anything.
If you have a battery that bricks the car on the side of the road, eight bars or less you might have a chance, otherwise you can buy one yourself.
Thank you. Can you help me understand the chart above from Leafspy, what is it showing exactly? Why are some lines so much lower--does that meant the cells are bad. Would I bring it to the dealership and say "I think my battery cells are bad?"

To your point, what would I ask the dealership to look for, if I know my battery is degraded and has not been upgraded?

Thanks for helping me out :)

Not having Leafspy, what I can tell you is it shows some cell imbalance, some are at a higher voltage than others. The SOC shows aprox 69%.
I would give it a good long charge on the 120 volt cord, and see if the cells balance any better.
Nissan will not do anything for cap loss until the battery drops to 8 bars or less.
If the car bricks on the side of the road because a few cells are bad but the rest are ok, if Nissan can confirm it, they may replace the whole battery or just some cells, but that is going to be hard to prove to them.
10 bars is not likely to drop to 8 withing the remaining warranty period, so take care of what you have.

Nissan may also consider replacing your battery of you get sudden charge drops under acceleration. But in all cases, as @cornbinder89 already said, the dealer will have to replicate the problem to some extent.

Back