Battery Replacement Program Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thankyouOB said:
it is pretty clear that nissan threw together the steal-my-battery program without having a detailed plan, as they have been unable in more than a month to answer questions or supply a straightforward Q&A on the issue.
Observation: There is a sense of a large company just managing a lawsuit and managing their reputation via good PR timings (yes we deal with capacity in multiple ways so don't worry web article/news writers and future buyers). It is disappointing from an *EV enthusiast to see how Nissan has treated all your early adopters.

scottf200 said:
thankyouOB said:
it is pretty clear that nissan threw together the steal-my-battery program without having a detailed plan, as they have been unable in more than a month to answer questions or supply a straightforward Q&A on the issue.
Observation: There is a sense of a large company just managing a lawsuit and managing their reputation via good PR timings (yes we deal with capacity in multiple ways so don't worry web article/news writers and future buyers). It is disappointing from an *EV enthusiast to see how Nissan has treated all your early adopters.
One quick note: as an early adopter (via lease) in a hot climate, I am happy with Nissan's extension of the battery warranty & the announcement of $100 per month replacement program. I understand that Nissan's hand was forced by bad pub and the class action suit but I still give them credit for these programs. The changes aren't perfect but they address my specific situation well.

jhm614 said:
One quick note: as an early adopter (via lease) in a hot climate, I am happy with Nissan's extension of the battery warranty & the announcement of $100 per month replacement program. I understand that Nissan's hand was forced by bad pub and the class action suit but I still give them credit for these programs. The changes aren't perfect but they address my specific situation well.

Why do you care about the battery replacement if it is a lease? Or is it the 9-bar warranty that makes you happy(ier)?

Valdemar said:
jhm614 said:
Why do you care about the battery replacement if it is a lease? Or is it the 9-bar warranty that makes you happy(ier)?
This is my first lease and I didn't have a clue what I was doing -- so I've got a crazy 48 month term. I'm a 4BL (4 bar loser) so I am in the queue for a repair / replacement. If for some reason I buy out this car at the end of the lease (unlikely at this point, hopefully MY2015 will be released by then and I will do reasonable lease), I like the idea of the $100 per month battery lease.

jhm614 said:
Valdemar said:
jhm614 said:
This is my first lease and I didn't have a clue what I was doing -- so I've got a crazy 48 month term. I'm a 4BL (4 bar loser) so I am in the queue for a repair / replacement. If for some reason I buy out this car at the end of the lease (unlikely at this point, hopefully MY2015 will be released by then and I will do reasonable lease), I like the idea of the $100 per month battery lease.

I now like the idea of just driving the Prius, cheaper and no need to deal with the limited range nor the b/s from Nissan about the battery replacement/warranty.

cgaydos said:
There were too few details at announcement time and a number of scenarios that clearly hadn't been thought through. It was announced literally on the last day of spring to comply with the letter of the promise from the Nissan executive.

+1

For a thread titled "Battery Replacement Program Details" it really provides no specific details.
Looks like we will just be waiting a year longer than expected.

If Nissan is going to press to make a big profit on battery replacements there are going to be a lot that jump ship to another brand IMO.

DaveinOlyWA said:
for his amount of driving, he is still $$ ahead because he is probably saving much more than $100 a month but he takes the lease and he is stuck until he is down 3+ CPs. A better option for him (and ME !) is a few more well placed QCs.
I agree TaylorSFGuy may be saving $ compared to gasoline.
But with Blink now charging $5 per session, doesn't the DCQC turn into ~$2600 per year in cost, with twice per day DCQC, once on the way to work, and once on the way home?
Admittedly the new 100% capacity battery probably won't completely eliminate use of DCQC for more than about 1 1/2 years or so, but that is still nearly $4000 in avoided DCQC use.
But as his battery continues to lose capacity to 10 bars and then 9 bars, continued use may translate into a requirement to DCQC twice each way, too.
Seems like the battery rental might be $1000 to $3000 less out of pocket for 2 1/2 more years of use?
Of course the battery rental termination terms, or the inability to sell the used vehicle, could be show stoppers for him.
The devil is in the details. :( :? :( :?

Tim; there is no charge yet and the one station is AV which is "suggesting" a $2.50 charge so half as much. If he were doing gas. He most likely would be paying 11-12 cents a mile or about $15 PER DAY so ya. Electricity still cheaper

DaveinOlyWA said:
Tim; there is no charge yet and the one station is AV which is "suggesting" a $2.50 charge so half as much. If he were doing gas. He most likely would be paying 11-12 cents a mile or about $15 PER DAY so ya. Electricity still cheaper
Thanks for the clarification Dave.
How did Washington end up still being free? I read where Blink rolled out charging in Southern CA in early to mid July.
Of course, I'm still real lucky with the one and only (as far as I know) Murphy Express Eaton DCFC trial installation in Chattanooga.
I don't think free is going to work very well as a business model long term, but free is really good for the LEAF owner as long as you can get it. :D :D :D

With everything that has happened, I see that being the case regardless.

smkettner said:
If Nissan is going to press to make a big profit on battery replacements there are going to be a lot that jump ship to another brand IMO.

TomT said:

smkettner said:

I don't know about that. I think most of those who leased are fairly happy. For those who bought, like myself, Nissan still has a chance to make things right. While I remain fairly pessimistic about it I will make a final decision after 5-6 years of ownership, if I won't give it up before :)

TimLee said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Thanks for the clarification Dave.
How did Washington end up still being free? I read where Blink rolled out charging in Southern CA in early to mid July.
Of course, I'm still real lucky with the one and only (as far as I know) Murphy Express Eaton DCFC trial installation in Chattanooga.
I don't think free is going to work very well as a business model long term, but free is really good for the LEAF owner as long as you can get it. :D :D :D

I think its simply because electricity is simply much cheaper here. in CA or other places with high rates, the "$5 penalty" is not all that severe especially when combined with HOV privileges, etc (something that does not happen here)

as far as AV, they were supposed to start charging last Summer but something happened with that plan and I have no idea why. I do know they struggle with the communication of the station and the database. I have gotten several notifications of a charging session starting that was not me. So until they get that ironed out, they wont be charging anything. But if you go to their website, it lists the $2.50 charge there. FYI; although I get incorrect charging notifications, they have never shown up at the website

Valdemar said:
I now like the idea of just driving the Prius, cheaper and no need to deal with the limited range nor the b/s from Nissan about the battery replacement/warranty.
FWIW, we (Priuschatters) have found some correlation of Prius HV batteries failures and high temps and/or hilly commutes. Those non-CARB emission states only get an 8 year/100K mile HV battery warranty vs. the 10 year/150K mile AT-PZEV CARB warranty on that battery. TX, NV and AZ are amongst the many states that aren't CARB emission states.

If one plans to keep a Prius beyond the HV battery warranty in the above conditions, it's just something to keep in mind...

TomT said:

smkettner said:

That would be a HUGE slap in the face for early adopters. And after all we've done to help the car sell AND become a better vehicle. They should be selling them at cost (plus installation) to Gen 1 owners! :twisted:

I was really psyched on the Nissan Leaf. You will see I am a new member and the only post I have has really been involved in the gathering of information on how to plan my charge station.

After reading the first 30 pages of this thread, then skipping to the last two, I am not sure how I feel about this vehicle anymore.

I have never owned a Nissan. I usually purchase Toyota. I am now thinking I might be better off with a second Prius. The other option may be to lease a Leaf to see how well it works for me and jump to Tesla as soon as they introduce a more affordable vehicle. Maybe Tesla will have something I can afford in three years. Also just put my name on the long waiting list to lease the Honda FIT EV.

Anyway. I would really like to see Nissan offer purchasing of replacement batteries. Lets say it is $10K. If I paid over 36 months at 4% that would be $295, to essentially renew the vehicle. I am willing to gamble that the battery will last eight years, but I would never want to pay a permanent $100/month and kill the resale value of my vehicle.

:cry:

epete said:
I was really psyched on the Nissan Leaf. You will see I am a new member and the only post I have has really been involved in the gathering of information on how to plan my charge station.
After reading the first 30 pages of this thread, then skipping to the last two, I am not sure how I feel about this vehicle anymore.
The page that you need to read is page 35 from Brian Brockman @ Nissan.

BBrockman said:
Sorry for the delay. As you can imagine, with several folks in the room, different voices weighed in on the post. Add to that a late evening and travel schedules, and this took a bit longer than we'd have preferred.

Several of the attendees have doing a good job in the interim, so you've already been hearing the gist of the conversation. Since we couldn't get everyone in the room, we wanted to provide a couple of key details directly.

LEAF battery performance in hot climates:

To date, there have been a very small number of battery replacements related to capacity loss, and all of them have involved scenarios that included prolonged exposure to extreme heat. These have been very localized, but we are taking them very seriously.

Currently, we have almost completed testing of a new battery chemistry intended to substantially slow capacity loss in extreme heat. During constant testing at battery temperatures of 45 C/113 F, the new battery chemistry is performing similar to the manner that the current battery performs in temperate areas like San Francisco or Seattle.

We expect that, if testing continues on its current path, we will have this new chemistry ready to implement by mid-2014, and it will be compatible with 2011-2013 model vehicles. For those owners who have already had a replacement due to heat-related capacity loss, we intend to provide a transferable coupon for a battery with the updated chemistry to use within five years.

Battery replacement program:

We still expect to be ready to offer this by mid-2014, and are trying to use your feedback to refine it. We want to address the two biggest questions that we are seeing on the forum now. As we stated before, this program is still in development, so we don't have specific answers for every question. We will be able to provide more specifics as they are finalized.

Q. Why is there no outright price for a swap?
A. There are two main reasons we decided against releasing an outright battery price: 1. Customer research steered us a different direction; and 2. the evolving costs of batteries over time make it impractical to do so.

Weighing feedback from current and potential owners, we found that most favored a monthly payment approach and wanted to have ongoing assurance on the health of the battery. This approach provides the best balance of cost to the owner and increased receptivity among potential future buyers.

Q. Can I exit the battery program and keep my car in a functional state with a battery that I own?

A. We understand this sentiment and are investigating as we finalize the program. We are open to constructive suggestions and dialogue. Based on suggestions here and in other places, we are also evaluating mileage and capacity options to lend a degree of flexibility to this program.

Finally, we are very proud of LEAF, and are committed to supporting you, our customers. We take your feedback seriously.

thanks KJD. That is an important statement from Brian. It still sounds like I should wait until Late 2014 if I go with Leaf.

It depends to a great extent on where you live (please do add your location to your profile)...

For more information, you might want to peruse this thread, particularly the latter part: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

epete said:
thanks KJD. That is an important statement from Brian. It still sounds like I should wait until Late 2014 if I go with Leaf.

epete said:
batterywarrantymnl

Pete, would you consider taking a 2-year lease out instead of purchasing the LEAF outright this year? From your earlier posts it would appear that you are located in Basking Ridge, NJ. Generally speaking, I would not be concerned about battery longevity in New Jersey, and would only consider waiting for the new battery if I preferred a purchase over a lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back