Bad Power Distribution Module? Check In Here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had my 2013 SL for two months and it worked fine then
it got the EV Error and took it to the dealer and they had it for 2 day's and gave it back
to me and it worked for 3 day's and back to to the Dealer and they had
it for 10 day's to get the new PCM and it worked fine for now
I am in the process of returning and get out of the lease as this
is my 2d Leaf the 2011 SL that had Battery Problems
and this is the last straw .

ronwright38 said:
I had my 2013 SL for two months and it worked fine then
it got the EV Error and took it to the dealer and they had it for 2 day's and gave it back
to me and it worked for 3 day's and back to to the Dealer and they had
it for 10 day's to get the new PCM and it worked fine for now
I am in the process of returning and get out of the lease as this
is my 2d Leaf the 2011 SL that had Battery Problems
and this is the last straw .
how are you "getting out" of the lease? is Nissan buying you out?

No Nissan is not buy me out i wish they would I have to pay
them and glade to give the car back as i live in the boonies
need all the range to get home. the EV error i could not
get the full charge. :roll:

Just got off the phone with EV support. Nice guy.

He confirmed that this is a problem they've seen and that there is a TSB out for it that was apparently just released today for a software update which fixes the problem.

I didn't make it to the dealer today but hope to get there tomorrow.

Uhoh... Me too. I have had the car (2013 SL) about a month and twice, the EV warning light was on in the morning and it had not charged fully. I suspect this is popping up now because the weather is warmer and therefore, the battery is warmer. In any case, I took it to the dealer yesterday and they reprogrammed the PDM. This morning, it showed the available mileage as 75 miles remaining rather than the usual 85-91 miles, but at least the warning light was not on. Strangely, I think the update might also have affected the en-route range calculations as well because for 20 miles of my 27 mile commute, the range decreased by only 2 miles. So despite the decrease in starting range, my remaining range when I arrived at work was about the same as usual, or maybe even a little higher. This is only a sample of one commute, so I will post again in a few days. I am also concerned that they have installed another existing version (older or from a 3.3kw, non-SL equipped car) of software that only allows 3.3kw charging rather than 6.6kw. In 2 days, the power use from last night will show up on my SCE account and I will be able to see whether the car drew 3.3 or 6.6kw when it charged. If I do see 6.6kw, then this might really be a new firmware fix that just came out. I will keep y'all informed, and thank you all for posting so we have a good idea of what's going on and we're not the only ones.

My question is: When do the rest of us early 2013 owners get notification that there is a software fix? I would rather be proactive than have a charge fail when I need it most.

buttersh - keep in mind the range (Guess-O-Meter) is just an estimate of the previous day's usage. Depending on your drive to the dealer, plus whatever the dealer did regarding charging and discharging the battery, your range calculations might off at first.

I suspect with a few days of normal driving the range estimates will return to previous levels.

(My car showed 112 miles of range the other day after some very easy around town driving on my wife's part.) :lol:

bradbissell said:
My question is: When do the rest of us early 2013 owners get notification that there is a software fix? I would rather be proactive than have a charge fail when I need it most.
I guess it would really depend on what production range Nissan thinks have the problem.

Bateman said:
buttersh - keep in mind the range (Guess-O-Meter) is just an estimate of the previous day's usage. Depending on your drive to the dealer, plus whatever the dealer did regarding charging and discharging the battery, your range calculations might off at first.

I suspect with a few days of normal driving the range estimates will return to previous levels.

(My car showed 112 miles of range the other day after some very easy around town driving on my wife's part.) :lol:
I have had mine show MORE miles after my trip from work to home before.

bradbissell said:

Nissan's still probably investigating. However if you're not having any problems I wouldn't worry about it until your next visit. Then ask them for the update.

I wish the Leaf had a software update feature similar to Tesla's over the air update. Leaf already has cell service, so why not enable this and save Nissan corp some warranty $$ and consumers the time.

Re: my PDM, it seems the software update did the trick. It's been even hotter in Chicago with no issue.

Phatcat73 said:
bradbissell said:

Nissan's still probably investigating. However if you're not having any problems I wouldn't worry about it until your next visit. Then ask them for the update.

I wish the Leaf had a software update feature similar to Tesla's over the air update. Leaf already has cell service, so why not enable this and save Nissan corp some warranty $$ and consumers the time.

Re: my PDM, it seems the software update did the trick. It's been even hotter in Chicago with no issue.
Not all Leafs have cell service

I dropped mine off at the dealer this morning. The service tech wasn't aware of the new TSB and couldn't find it up in the system so I called EV support and got the number from them.

[ Update : Just got it back. They applied the update in the TSB and charged to 100% so it looks like they nailed it.

In case it helps others, the diagnostic codes they found were P316C, 3170, 3171 and B29C1. ]

Share the EV support Ph# ... just called the dealer today and they have yet to get the software. What was the number you got from them?

Techie0212 said:
Share the EV support Ph# ... just called the dealer today and they have yet to get the software. What was the number you got from them?

http://www.nissanusa.com/apps/contactus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EV Customer Support Team
Phone: (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738)

Monday through Saturday:
7:00 AM to 11:00 PM, Central Time

Techie0212 said:
What is a TSB? and how was your dealership able to get the software? Not here in Hawaii yet ...
Technical Service Bulletin

One well known Seattle area Leaf tech mentioned the TSB for '13 Leafs w/L2 charging "concerns" was NTB13-069.

It doesn't appear to be up at http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase.html?catid=783#.Ueebgqxp7QM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; yet. One can download 2 PDFs/day of TSBs there w/a free account.

So it looks like the PDM does NOT have to be replaced, and it's just a software fix? I guess that's good news for the folks who haven't run into this issue yet.

cwerdna said:
Techie0212 said:
One well known Seattle area Leaf tech mentioned the TSB for '13 Leafs w/L2 charging "concerns" was NTB13-069.

That's it, this is the one that I got.

At my dealership, the service guy initially couldn't find the TSB in his system even though I got the TSB# directly from EV support. He was a bit skeptical but took the number anyway.

When I came back to pick up the car a couple of hours later, he said that his system hadn't been updated which is why he hadn't found it initially. I suspect there is something that the dealership needs to do on their end in order to refresh the list of TSB's that they can access.

BTW, he told me that he had 11K miles on his own leaf. :)

Cheers,

Ken

Hi All,

Add me to the list, 3 months old tomorrow and 3033 miles and I also received the warning and my charging stopped at 11 out of 12 bars.

I have an appointment with the Leaf Tech for Tuesday at 7:30AM.

Hopefully they can just apply the TSB and have my Leaf ready in one day :(

ev_warning_light.jpg

Sal

Back