apartment dweller considering level 2 upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 100' cord #12 wire with L6-20 connectors and another at 25' (moulded connectors)
Consider #10 wire if you are really going 125' on a regular basis although it will be a bit bulky to coil.

So what did you decide to do?

GratefulReaper said:
For the past year I have used only the level 1 charger at the small apartment complex (9 units) where we live. Recently, my wife got a 2013 Volt, and it is not possible to charge the Volt and Leaf with level 1 chargers at the same time without tripping the breaker. The carport, where we park both cars end-to-end, is very close to the laundry room where there is a 220 volt, 30 amp outlet that is not being used. The apartment complex owner is willing to let us tap into the unused 220 circuit in order to install a level 2 charger. I bought an Aeorvironment level 2 charger more than a year ago (just before the price went up) and have been storing it since then. Unfortunately, this charger requires a 40 amp circuit and an upgraded panel. The distance from the panel to the charger is over 100 feet, so it will be quite costly. Since we rent the apartment and may only be here another year, we don't want to spend too much. I'm wondering if the existing 220 volt, 30 amp circuit could be used to power an EVSE Upgrade (level 1 to level 2) unit? If so, I would buy the EVSE Upgrade and probably sell the Aeorvironment charger.

Can anyone offer advice about this? Thanks.

Ingineer said:
So what did you decide to do?

GratefulReaper said:
For the past year I have used only the level 1 charger at the small apartment complex (9 units) where we live. Recently, my wife got a 2013 Volt, and it is not possible to charge the Volt and Leaf with level 1 chargers at the same time without tripping the breaker. The carport, where we park both cars end-to-end, is very close to the laundry room where there is a 220 volt, 30 amp outlet that is not being used. The apartment complex owner is willing to let us tap into the unused 220 circuit in order to install a level 2 charger. I bought an Aeorvironment level 2 charger more than a year ago (just before the price went up) and have been storing it since then. Unfortunately, this charger requires a 40 amp circuit and an upgraded panel. The distance from the panel to the charger is over 100 feet, so it will be quite costly. Since we rent the apartment and may only be here another year, we don't want to spend too much. I'm wondering if the existing 220 volt, 30 amp circuit could be used to power an EVSE Upgrade (level 1 to level 2) unit? If so, I would buy the EVSE Upgrade and probably sell the Aeorvironment charger.

Can anyone offer advice about this? Thanks.

Recently, I hired a licensed electrician to extend the dryer circuit into the carport and install a L6-20 receptacle with its own breaker nearby. He also changed the breaker at the panel to 20 amp. I applied for a permit and should have the inspection soon. It cost $394 plus 50 for the permit. It works great. We are borrowing someone's EVSE Upgrade until we order our own after the inspection. I'm trying to sell my AV charger now. Someone asked if my AV can have a plug added instead of being hard wired. Do you know?

Many thanks to everyone who offered their advice. It was helpful.

GratefulReaper said:
Recently, I hired a licensed electrician to extend the dryer circuit into the carport and install a L6-20 receptacle with its own breaker nearby. He also changed the breaker at the panel to 20 amp. I applied for a permit and should have the inspection soon. It cost $394 plus 50 for the permit. It works great. We are borrowing someone's EVSE Upgrade until we order our own after the inspection. I'm trying to sell my AV charger now. Someone asked if my AV can have a plug added instead of being hard wired. Do you know?

Congrats! Yes, the AV can have a plug added, but it must be a 50A plug type. You cannot plug it into a 20A outlet.

-Phil

GratefulReaper said:
Someone asked if my AV can have a plug added instead of being hard wired. Do you know?

There's no physical reason why you can't put a plug on the AV (the manufacturer sells a version with a plug), but there is always the possibility of some permit issue (if you have permits).

Every EVSE that I have own / owned has a plug on them.

Ingineer said:
GratefulReaper said:

Congrats! Yes, the AV can have a plug added, but it must be a 50A plug type. You cannot plug it into a 20A outlet.

-Phil

Thanks. I have another issue now. I am trying to get a permit for the electrical work (extension of dryer circuit into carport) and I need to provide a "cut sheet" for the charger. I copied the "tech details" from the FAQ on the EVSE Upgrade site and included the photo, but the inspector was not satisfied that. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

GratefulReaper said:
Thanks. I have another issue now. I am trying to get a permit for the electrical work (extension of dryer circuit into carport) and I need to provide a "cut sheet" for the charger. I copied the "tech details" from the FAQ on the EVSE Upgrade site and included the photo, but the inspector was not satisfied that. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
I wasn't aware inspectors had any input into what you plug into your outlets. You are installing an outlet to charge an EV, but it could also be an outlet to plug in a welder, a pressure washer, etc. If it was a permanently installed EVSE, then he might have concern.

Out of our thousands of satisfied customers, this has never come up before.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
GratefulReaper said:
I wasn't aware inspectors had any input into what you plug into your outlets. You are installing an outlet to charge an EV, but it could also be an outlet to plug in a welder, a pressure washer, etc. If it was a permanently installed EVSE, then he might have concern.

Out of our thousands of satisfied customers, this has never come up before.

-Phil

The inspector also required a load calculation, even though the new outlet was only 20 amp compared to the original 30 amp dryer outlet. Here is the last message I received:

Thank you for the load calculation. I have a few questions before I can proceed with the review that may save some headaches later.
1. Is the EVSE a common use site for the entire complex, or does it belong to a single individual of the complex?
2. Are the utilities included in the rent, or does each tenant pay on their personal usage ?
In addition I must have that cut sheet for the EVSE. Your review will cease and proceed no further without it. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide all manuals, cut sheets etc necessary for the review. I am not going to a website , select which model of equipment you intend to use. Your next correspondence must include the cut sheet or the review will be shelved until it is received.

Thank You,

Robert

WTF? That's one big headed jerk. What does the price of electricity or who's using it have to do with electrical codes and compliance? :?

Reddy said:
WTF? That's one big headed jerk. What does the price of electricity or who's using it have to do with electrical codes and compliance? :?

This person is a joker, say you just need a permit for an outlet and you are not going to use it and it's for future use. Does he need the color of your car as well? Ask him if you add an outlet in the kitchen if it requires a cut sheet for your iphone. What city is this? Palo Alto?

Back