Anyone in Palmdale, CA willing to provide charging access???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhonda

Hi

I'm trying to help out a friend and potential EV driver who lives in the San Fernando Valley and works at a school in Palmdale near Palmdale Ave and 10 St W. She's seriously considering getting an EV for daily commute, but would absolutely need assured charging every working day. The school district is talking in vague terms about providing EV charging, but it won't happen soon and very possibly not at all.

I'm wondering if there is anyone within a few miles of that location who would consider "renting out" EVSE access on a long-term basis during regular school hours? Naturally she would expect to reimburse the cost of the electricity she uses. 110 V probably won't provide enough charge to do the job, but any level 2 EVSE setup or even a 220 V outlet she could use (providing her own portable L2) would be fine.

I think her plan would be to leave her existing car parked nearby wherever she can get charge access and take it the remaining distance to/from work.

Any chance there is someone on the board that is nearby and willing to consider such an arrangement? Please reply here or PM me.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

A 110V outlet will give you 5 miles of range back for every hour on it. Have her look around her school.

My incoming EVSE should give more than that by about 30% at least. More amps vs. the Nissan one. Will review it on receipt.

If you look on PlugShare, there is someone named Samuel C., near Lake Palmdale, who has a suitable set up. You could contact him through Plugshare and see if you can come to an agreement.

You posted this same question and info on the Rav forum and TONS of people gave you info plus personal info on how to contact them for vehicle rides etc. and all the plugshare info.

I'm starting to wonder if this is spam..

Most of the schools in the Palmdale and Lancaster area have PV covered parking lots, and if of sufficient size, 240V Chargepoint chargers. The school mentioned in the OP does not yet have PV, but may be scheduled. As an alternative, they could contact Victor at Antelope Valley Nissan (only 2-3 miles east off Palmdale Blvd) and see if they can negotiate a good lease AND priority access to their DCQC before heading home after work. If they watch their speed, a 100% charge may not be necessary, given the altitude drop back to home in the SF Valley. The bigger question, however, may be if they can even get up the grade to the school from home on a 100% charge.

Thank you for all your replies so far....

I don't think 110 charging provides enough margin. They have to go 60 miles to get back home (admittedly downhill), and particularly considering that the car may be needed during the day, charging time will decrease and some energy used. For 110 to work, they would have to arrive with a fair margin still left in the battery. In addition, I've looked...there isn't a single 110 outlet to be found in a parking area.

I am aware of the plugsharer at Lake Palmdale. I thought it better to post a general "...anybody willing..." type post rather than putting him in a position to feel pressured. If all else fails, I'll give him a call, however.

Their school is equipped with all the solar stuff, but apparently the solar equipment belongs to a solar provider. I've looked at it, and there isn't a single outlet, and in fact there a placard staying "attach no external loads".

Only the High Schools have charging stations, not the elementary schools. The nearest one is 10 miles away, and I've been told (don't know this first hand) that they are restricted to their employees.

No, this isn't spam. I'm really trying to help them out. The RAV forum people said that car can make it up the hill, but that a charge will be necessary to get home. They said a round trip is possible but only at reduced speeds. I'm trying to find out a way they can get a charge when their employer doesn't offer one. I'm looking on the Leaf forum because there are so many people here compared to RAV or anything else. Sorry if it seems like spam...I'm not selling anything, looking for help for friends. Don't want to talk them into getting a car that doesn't get them there are back everyday....They have an ICE that does that but costs $$$$$ in gas.

That is a long haul, you are very adventurous to try it, I would not, perhaps a volt would work better for you. I have both and with easy driving you could do 40 miles electric and charge on the other end to get 40 miles back home electric as well. I live in Santa Clarita and was in Palmdale last weekend, the hills getting there are killer, I personally am not sure you will make it with an new battery much less one when it gets to be a year or two old.

Actually most people thought you could make the round trip, and those who were unsure thought that a couple of hours of public L2 would be more than enough...although the distance seems a little longer than I remember. Are we still talking about a RAV4 EV or are you now assuming a LEAF? Makes a big difference. For the RAV, L1 for even part of the day would give a nice buffer. I wouldn't consider a LEAF for this commute, even if I had guaranteed charging at the destination. Too tight. Bad weather, or battery degradation, or an emergency and it could quickly turn impossible.

I do wonder whether the added expense of maintaining a vehicle just to drive between a charging location and the school makes any sense.

Getting from SFV to Palmdale will be very dicey in a new Leaf, and probably impossible in one with degraded battery (it is hot in Palmdale, hint, hint). Someone who lives in that area said they don't even try making this route because it is very tight under ideal conditions and impossible with winds that are common in that area. There are basically no charging locations along the way which doesn't help. So if it has to be a pure EV it has to be a RAV4 or a Tesla, both can likely make this roundtrip on a single charge.

This is an interesting case study in EV usage. If we apply the math we can calculate the kwhrs used each way. I have seen the distance chart and energy used with elevation changes, but could someone who knows these calculations show us? Such as:

Mileage: 44 miles at 4 m/kwh = 11kwhrs
Elevation change: Ending - Beginning = Gain (Loss) * ??? kwhrs/foot = ??? kwhrs used (gained)

Charging on 120v for 8 hours
Charging on 240v for 8 hours

If this person is able to get permission from the Principal at the school I am sure there is a school maintainence shop that has both 120v and 240v outlets. Knowing how much energy she uses getting to the school she can calculate how many kwhrs she will be using from the school and offer to reimburse the school for what is used.

If she can get permission I think a Jesla would be the EVSE of choice to use at the school. There would be no hardware expense at the school, she just plugs in. For less than $20 a meter could be installed on that circuit to measure exactly how much energy she uses.

Would someone in the know like to give it a try?

Graffi said:
This is an interesting case study in EV usage...

What will you learn from this study? That driving a Leaf in this scenario will be a major PITA? We already know that. Sounds like a definite case for a Volt to me, considering there is an HOV lane on the 14. At least half of the trip to Palmdale will be on electric power, and going back is mostly downhill so there is a good opportunity for saving gas. If she decides on a Volt she needs to act quickly as green stickers will run out soon.

Valdemar said:
Getting from SFV to Palmdale will be very dicey in a new Leaf, and probably impossible in one with degraded battery (it is hot in Palmdale, hint, hint). Someone who lives in that area said they don't even try making this route because it is very tight under ideal conditions and impossible with winds that are common in that area. There are basically no charging locations along the way which doesn't help. So if it has to be a pure EV it has to be a RAV4 or a Tesla, both can likely make this roundtrip on a single charge.
I completely concur - I made a trip from Northridge to Vincent Hill Station in January of 2013 (when I still had 12 bars) via Soledad Canyon and had only 9 miles on the guess-o-meter when I got there and couldn't get home without some time on a level 2 EVSE. Now that I'm down to 10 range bars, it's completely out of reach.

If this person is interested in an EV, he/she should at least wait until LEAFs are available with the new Nissan "hot weather" battery. Otherwise they'll be very disappointed in a year or two. But the better answer would be a RAV4 or Tesla. Maybe a Spark EV, but I haven't read much about real-world range on those...

Instead of all the speculating back and forth and if it will and if it won't... Again, like I posted on the Rav forum.. the Rav WILL MAKE IT back and forth from that location without charging :roll: I'VE ALREADY DONE IT. And gone further.

I've even mapped out on google from that intersection to the MIDDLE of the SF Valley and it's only 44.1 miles... Please guys :roll: you're turning this into worse then a bunch of old ladies (guys) in a sewing circle.

Like I said, my Leaf made it up there( needed abit of juice coming back) :lol: before I had the Rav and I plan on going to ElMarage dry lake soon in the Rav..

OMG.. end of the world!!

:roll:

JasonA said:
Instead of all the speculating back and forth and if it will and if it won't... Again, like I posted on the Rav forum.. the Rav WILL MAKE IT back and forth from that location without charging :roll: I'VE ALREADY DONE IT. And gone further. ...
Yeah, this fits my recollection. I was quite confident she could make it. It's always good to have some charging options, but there are several near that area, so no problems there. Unless the OP returns to clarify what vehicle he's talking about and why he's budgeting more miles...

Valdemar said:
Graffi said:
This is an interesting case study in EV usage...

What will you learn from this study? ...

By using actual data to calculate the expected usage rather than educated guesses, one would be able to have confidence in the resulting outcome.

This would not only help prospective new Leaf owners, but would be a benefit to existing Leaf owners in planning trips out of their local area.

Just thinking....

Back