Another somewhat different WSJ article

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouldergramp

I still can't imagine paying $60,000 for a car but maybe many WSJ readers can. When I was a kid, we all could identify the cars (we didn't have one until I was in high school) because they all looked different. I can spot a Tesla "a mile away". The others all look pretty much the same to me. Even Leafs escape my notice except from the rear.
Well, so much for that. Here is Joanna Stern's article:
https://www.wsj.com/tech/personal-tech/best-evs-under-60000-dollars-3eed42f9?st=efszydn3tpeufyx&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

At least this WSJ article didn't "bash" EVs...and Ms. Stern tends to write very informative, fact-based articles (usually about phones/computers).

Yes, Ms. Stern wrote an objective article and I am sure she will like the Mach-E. I agree with her observations about the big center screens. I will not buy a car that forces me to look to the side to see the speedometer and strongly prefer physical buttons or levers for controlling wipers, HVAC, and lights.

GerryAZ said:
Yes, Ms. Stern wrote an objective article and I am sure she will like the Mach-E. I agree with her observations about the big center screens. I will not buy a car that forces me to look to the side to see the speedometer and strongly prefer physical buttons or levers for controlling wipers, HVAC, and lights.
Amen. The May/June Consumer Reports has an article titled "Autos With the Easiest Controls", which says
Technology is great, but so is simplicity - especially when you're trying to change the radio station or adjust the temperature while driving. Unfortunately, today's cars can do so many things that they often overcomplicate basic tasks, requiring drivers to navigate through multiple touchscreen menus to make simple adjustments that could once be accomplished with the turn of a knob.

'Simple controls - especially ones that you can use by gripping a knob or feeling a button - are easier to use without taking your eyes off the road,' says Kelly Funkhouser, CR's manager for vehicle technology. 'Touchscreens require drivers to focus on the screen, search for where to place a finger, and then try to tap that spot. This can be difficult when driving down a bumpy road.'
Or any other time FTM, and they require you take your eyes off the road.

Oh, the list of cars they recommend for their controls (there's a short description of the controls for each of the main ones, but you need to be a member or have access to a copy like I do to read the full thing):

Budget-Friendly: Honda CR-V. Alternatives: Toyota Camry, Ford Maverick.
Compact Luxury sedan: Audi A3. Alternatives: Acura Integra.
Electric Vehicle: Nissan LEAF. (The LEAF's good at something besides entry and exit! :D) Alternatives: Genesis GV60, Kia Niro EV [GRA note; the 1st gen. had more physical controls, particularly HVAC, than the 2023 2nd gen. I've driven both and much prefer the former]
Family SUV/Minivan: Chevrolet Traverse. Alternatives: Kia Carnival, Subaru Ascent.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...d-suvs-with-the-easiest-controls-a7135184399/

Back