"Here Come the Family EVs", Another WSJ article

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was just one large, seven-seat electric SUV on sale in the U.S. for model years 2022 and 2023, according to research firm J.D. Power: Mercedes-Benz’s EQS, priced at about $105,000. A few plug-in SUVs that J.D. Power categorizes as midsize also have a third row, including Rivian’s R1S and Tesla’s Model X.

Meanwhile, there were 22 small or compact electric SUVs for sale, the firm said.

22 small or compact electric SUVs? Really? What are they calling small or compact?

Toby said:
There was just one large, seven-seat electric SUV on sale in the U.S. for model years 2022 and 2023, according to research firm J.D. Power: Mercedes-Benz’s EQS, priced at about $105,000. A few plug-in SUVs that J.D. Power categorizes as midsize also have a third row, including Rivian’s R1S and Tesla’s Model X.

Meanwhile, there were 22 small or compact electric SUVs for sale, the firm said.

22 small or compact electric SUVs? Really? What are they calling small or compact?
I'm guessing anything that doesn't have a 3rd row? Of course the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV now has a 3rd row I believe but it's extremely tight and.......well it's a Mitsubishi ;) It's well-priced though.
And then there's the decently priced Chrysler Pacifica 3-row van but again a PHEV not a true EV.

jjeff said:
Toby said:

I'm guessing anything that doesn't have a 3rd row? Of course the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV now has a 3rd row I believe but it's extremely tight and.......well it's a Mitsubishi ;) It's well-priced though.
And then there's the decently priced Chrysler Pacifica 3-row van but again a PHEV not a true EV.

I've got a Pacifica as DW's kid-delivery around-town vehicle. Also for long distance family trips. I love it! Haven't bought gas for it in about 3 months, as the electric range is sufficient for daily drives with a midday recharge during cheap power hours.

I really wanted a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, but needed the 3rd row and didn't want to wait for 2023 (and I also didn't want to buy new). I'm glad I got a used Pacifica, instead. It's interior is positively cavernous, I got the premium trim for kind of ridiculously cheap (I think the dealer wanted it off the lot so they could sell the more-expensive but under-equipped--due to chip shortages--new models), and the sliding minivan doors are priceless.

I do have range envy, since the Outlander is supposed to go 38 miles on a charge.

I can still goose the Pacfica to about 32 miles doing 60-70mph on the freeway (I've never driven it that far on non-highway roads)--not bad for a 4 year old battery with 40K miles on it. If I drove my 8-bar Leaf at those speeds, I'd probably get about 32 miles before the battery went dead. :p

It's pretty crazy, because at 40-ish mph, the Leaf will probably go the 70 miles the GOM shows at 100%. Drive over 60, though, and the range gets cut by 30%. 70, and I bet it'd drop 50% or worse. The Pacifica seems pretty consistent at getting 3.5ish miles per kwh at all speeds and all types of driving (below 80, because that does drain the battery fast). The Leaf is all over the map (depending on speed) with better than 6 mi/kwh at 30mph, down to <2.9 mi/kwh at 75.

I don't believe there's a big market for 7/8 passenger EVs. I certainly wouldn't buy one. With just 1-2 people it's not such a big deal to coordinate charging/eating stops. With a family of 6+ it seems like a nightmare, and I want my big vehicle to be long-road-trip-capable. PHEV, yes please. The Pacifica is the perfect mix: all EV daily driver while not adding any time waiting for charging on 400 mile trip to SF or Vegas. Then again, I have very different priorities from most people, so what I like might not translate into what sells.

Back