Annual Battery Check - What is done exactly?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2k1Toaster

I gather that the annual battery check is nothing more than plugging it into the Nissan Consult-III, navigating a menu to the correct screen, pressing a button, and waiting some time. 5minutes? 15 minutes?

Is there anything more than that? I figure the software, as clunky as it is, manages all the data pulling and storing to the Nissan servers. The tech really doesn't do anything other than press buttons and connect the connector.

The reason I bring it up is because my dealership, like many it seems, is completely inept when it comes to Leaf "service". The first time I went in for my check (I was scheduled for it) they bring out a little portable battery tester that is obviously a 12v battery tester, like for cold cranking type tests. I laugh and tell them no, go get your Leaf tech. They say he isn't there and there is nothing they can do other than this test. "Is that OK?" Uhhh. No... So try 2 I go in for my second scheduled service after being assured the Leaf tech would be there, so I bent my schedule for him, and he didn't show up that day. I again told them to just hook it up and do it, but was told he is the only person at that dealership that is allowed to do more than stare at the pretty car. They also then told me that the process takes between 1 and 3 hours and I can't just "drop it off". I told them that was malarkey.

I am extremely knowledgeable on how the Prius and its diagnostics work. Not so much on the Leaf. Does anyone know the exact procedure and steps it takes for the battery check? I know since it is "phoning home" the data, I can't do this in my garage with my custom built CAN processor, but I am running out of patience and every time I go down there it is a waste of my time which I value greatly. The only other dealer is an hour away, and it is a one-way trip without a DCQC (which they have...).

This is why I hate dealerships. Monkeys I tell you...

Yep, that is pretty much it! It sends some data to Nissan - which we and the dealer never get to see - and prints out the worthless battery report... Because of the known 12 volt battery problems, some dealers will also do a separate test of that battery.

2k1Toaster said:
I gather that the annual battery check is nothing more than plugging it into the Nissan Consult-III, navigating a menu to the correct screen, pressing a button, and waiting some time. 5minutes? 15 minutes?
Is there anything more than that? I figure the software, as clunky as it is, manages all the data pulling and storing to the Nissan servers. The tech really doesn't do anything other than press buttons and connect the connector.

TomT said:
Because of the known 12 volt battery problems, some dealers will also do a separate test of that battery.
Actually, I think that connecting the 12V battery to a fancy charger is step 1 on most (all?) procedures with any car when the Consult III is involved. That way the 12V battery doesn't die in the middle of the testing and produce erroneous results.

2k1Toaster said:
...They also then told me that the process takes between 1 and 3 hours and I can't just "drop it off". I told them that was malarkey.
Your dealer does not know what they are talking about.
The annual battery test is around 15 minutes or less.
It does send data to Nissan, but not sure exactly how.
All Nissan maintenance accesses a world wide Nissan maintenance system. Data is probably put in through that.
Not sure if dealer can review that data. Probably can before it is submitted.
I recall someone back in 2011 posted a printout of some data. May have been from the annual test.
Maybe you can find that thread, although finding MNL threads is challenging.

The LEAF test that can take a long time is the Cell Voltage Loss Inspection (CVLI).
But that only takes a long time because battery has to be discharged down to min voltage less than 3.713 V.
That is below Low Battery Warning at 49 GIDS. Usually down around 35 GIDS. Very Low Battery Warning is at 24 GIDS.
Some dealers have been confused and thought you had to discharge down for the annual "test". You do not, but some technicians may have been confused and may have been doing that.

At least your front range of the Rockies dealer has a LEAF technician.
Two of the three dealers in WV failed to get their technicians to some required periodic training and lost their certification making for a real nightmare when the heater on a LEAF failed.

They connect it to a charger, yes, but it is not necessarily the kind that does a load test on the battery and gives a printout...

RegGuheert said:
TomT said:
Because of the known 12 volt battery problems, some dealers will also do a separate test of that battery.
Actually, I think that connecting the 12V battery to a fancy charger is step 1 on most (all?) procedures with any car when the Consult III is involved. That way the 12V battery doesn't die in the middle of the testing and produce erroneous results.

Back