Andy Palmer and Chelsea Sexton Discuss the Nissan LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I guess our society HAS become that lazy! :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
any steering wheel button requires no body movement to access. just a wiggle of a finger. for me; the center screen does require me to lean and stretch.

davewill said:
I have a concern I'd like to see addressed by Nissan. We've had a slow, but steady stream of people who have had to have their on-board charger (OBC) replaced because of power issues, especially with GE Wattstations, although the latest one (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) seems to have happened with a Nissan (AV) EVSE. GE released a statement pointing the finger at the OBC as the problem....To the best of my knowledge, Nissan hasn't released anything about this issue in the three months since this announcement. If this is a weakness in the OBC, it is just a likely to happen outside the warranty period as inside. I'd like to see Nissan step up and commit to covering this defect outside the warranty period, and of course developing a fix would be nice, too.

Good point, I've not seen anything on this either. Have added this to the list...

TomT said:
Wow, I guess our society HAS become that lazy! :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
any steering wheel button requires no body movement to access. just a wiggle of a finger. for me; the center screen does require me to lean and stretch.

not an issue for me, but you are the one who asked

Chelsea,

Andy Palmer stated that there is a known instrumentation (gauge) problem in the 2011 and 2012 model LEAFs that was corrected for the 2013 model year. Can you ask for more details on the problem and if a fix is going to be released for the 2011 and 2012 LEAFs? (I don't think this has been asked yet; if it has, please forgive my duplicate question.)

Thanks!

leaf4me said:
Chelsea,

Andy Palmer stated that there is a known instrumentation (gauge) problem in the 2011 and 2012 model LEAFs that was corrected for the 2013 model year. Can you ask for more details on the problem and if a fix is going to be released for the 2011 and 2012 LEAFs? (I don't think this has been asked yet; if it has, please forgive my duplicate question.)

Thanks!
Is the 3kW on board charger upgradable to 6kW - as they 1st hinted ??? . . . . . . same answer. :roll:

yes, and the LEAF service manager at Power Nissan in LA did not know that leaving a battery at 100% was not recommended for the car.

i had an accident -- battery was at 5 bars at the time -- and during the battery removal and storage, and subsequent reinstallation, I called him to say: "Please dont charge the battery to 100% after the reinstall." Then, i explained why.
He told me he didnt know that.

imagine what they are doing to all those LEAFs sitting on the lot.

leaf4me said:
Chelsea,

Thanks!

I have only ever heard that the fix will be released for current vehicles as well, but I will confirm and ask for details.

As for upgrading to 6.6kW, I've not heard anything to suggest that will be an option, unfortunately. However, it's something the adv group might encourage them to look into making available. :D

evchels said:
As for upgrading to 6.6kW, I've not heard anything to suggest that will be an option, unfortunately. However, it's something the adv group might encourage them to look into making available. :D
Just another reason for Phil to join the board since he already knows how to do it. :D

thankyouOB said:
yes, and the LEAF service manager at Power Nissan in LA did not know that leaving a battery at 100% was not recommended for the car.

i had an accident -- battery was at 5 bars at the time -- and during the battery removal and storage, and subsequent reinstallation, I called him to say: "Please dont charge the battery to 100% after the reinstall." Then, i explained why.
He told me he didnt know that.

imagine what they are doing to all those LEAFs sitting on the lot.

Same with Oakland Nissan. I went on a test drive with someone and the battery was fully charged at 100% and the GOM showed something strange like only 25 miles.

Nissan warns against putting the LEAF through a paint drying booth.
(Where they heat up the whole car to make the paint dry faster.)

Someone put a dent in my LEAF recently, and I took it to a body shop for repair, and they thought my request to keep it out of the paint booth was "unusual", and I didn't have great confidence that they would honor it. Just how bad is it if they leave it in a paint booth overnight? How is one to know? Short of putting cameras in the car, all I can do is make the request and cross my fingers.

I wonder how many LEAFs have had the battery heated during repaint work? How much has that affected their pack aging?

TEG said:
Nissan warns against putting the LEAF through a paint drying booth.
(Where they heat up the whole car to make the paint dry faster.)... Short of putting cameras in the car, all I can do is make the request and cross my fingers.... I wonder how many LEAFs have had the battery heated during repaint work? How much has that affected their pack aging?

I wouldn't let them do that on my lease car, let alone one I owned. Just have the battery and the Clarion Navigation unit removed. It's really quite simple and should be cheap to have the dealer do.

Yes, there are thieves who charged $3000 to do this. But, it should be about 1 hour labor to remove, and one hour to reinstall. The Nav unit comes out in about 10 minutes.

they removed my battery for 3.2k (yes, i am the one u have recalled), but i didnt ask about the nav unit, tony.
what is the jeopardy in that to the nav?

thankyouOB said:
they removed my battery for 3.2k (yes, i am the one u have recalled), but i didnt ask about the nav unit, tony.
what is the jeopardy in that to the nav?

It's a computer, that's all. Would you bake any computer you own? It's so easy to remove, it just seems silly not to. And it's very expensive... which I doubt a warranty will cover for "intentionally oven baked".

I meant to point out in my earlier post, that at 2:30 Andy explains that they are able to measure the battery, via Carwings, at the cell level. There are a lot of discussions where it would address a lot of speculation about this. Needless to say, I'd love to be able to watch this info, too.

gbarry42 said:
I meant to point out in my earlier post, that at 2:30 Andy explains that they are able to measure the battery, via Carwings, at the cell level. There are a lot of discussions where it would address a lot of speculation about this. Needless to say, I'd love to be able to watch this info, too.

LEAFscan will allow us mere mortals to see the 96 cell PAIR voltages (that's how Nissan has configured it).

Back