Aeromod nissan leaf improved aerodynamics increased range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of one other leaf owner with a 2011 that has had a 100% grill blocked in the winter without trouble. I never got around to doing mine before the winter and since I haven't run into a problem making my round trip with a brand new 2015 I put it off to the spring.

As many people have touched on before the opening is designed for all conditions. Nissan has to make it big enough to cool a car going through death valley on the hottest day in July with 5 adults in it at 80 mph and stock PSI inflated tires with the AC going full blast. Once you factor in your unique conditions there is a lot of the grill most drivers can block off. Less energy needed to move the car down the road also means less load on the car which means less need for cooling. If you run max sidewall PSI LRR tires keep it under 60 mph and don't crank the AC then every single car grill opening out there is overkill for you. As far as the heat pump goes a grill block probably makes it more efficient allowing the ambient air under the hood to be warmer and instead of bleeding that heat to the outside air you can harvest it through the heat pump.

ICE drivers have been doing partial (75-90%) and full grill blocks for years without major issues. I ran a full block for winter and 80-90% for summer on my insight, prius, optima and miata (didn't run the winter with that one though). A good test is to wire up a little LED to the cars fan. If something gets hotter than the car likes then the car will turn the electric fan on in an attempt to aid cooling. At this point you see the LED go on which means you should probably open up the grill a bit.

I'm interested in trying the mud flaps as I removed mine the week I got the car. Not too crazy about the screws through the side though. I think some good 3M tape and screws into the inner liner should hold it.

Here are some fun tools I've used to find out what can be done with the leaf for aerodynamics.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/tool-aero-rolling-resistance.php

I used the numbers from car and driver and the drag queen test, 3353 lbs, .32 cd and 24.5 frontal area. Engine and drivetrain efficiency and parastatic overhead are for MPG, they don't affect the rolling and aero HP. http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ns-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-7

At 70 mph the calculator gets the same results as the car and driver test, 18 hp aero. At a more useful to us 60 mph it's 11.54. If we could get the car down to a prius like 0.26 at 60 it would be 9.38. or 18.7% less HP needed.

I used 0.01 for the rolling resistance based on this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance. It's no surprise that LRR would give you much better results than aero for people who keep the speeds under 35 mph. A 20% decrease in rolling resistance as quoted by many tires would only give you about 6.3% less hp needed at 60 mph.

Nissan has to make it big enough to cool a car going through death valley on the hottest day in July with 5 adults in it at 80 mph and stock PSI inflated tires with the AC going full blast.

Make that 15MPH for maximum cooling needed. At 80 the air would find its way into the motor compartment anyway.

Looks great to me! Please keep us posted on the efficiency changes.

20150220_102220_Coyote%252520Ln.jpg

20150220_102246_Coyote%252520Ln.jpg

20150220_111624.jpg

You drilled into the spokes, and used self-tapping screws to hold them in place? Wow, you are going full monty!

Nissan needs to tighten up the wheel openings - this could lower the Cd another 0.01+.

On the Leaf I have our grill blocked with black gaffers tape, it is similar to duct take, but doesn't leave a residue when you take it off and is more flexible, more cloth like. It is commonly used in theater and production applications. I haven't noticed anything any more warm, but then again it was -2F for a high yesterday and -16F when I left work at midnight, the dash battery is usually between 1 and 3 bars. I can't say I have noticed any better areo from it, but it is cold, snowy and I have the snows on as well. If your not up close you would never know it is on there and it is easy to take off in the spring as well. I did it to hopefully keep the engine bay a bit warmer, can't hurt in winter anyway.

leaf-grill.jpg

Trailered 1 tone of hay home for the horses yesterday with our nissan leaf. Pulled it better than a toyota truck! Surprized at how little it dropped the range on the 30 mile haul! I was expecting more like a 50% drop, it was closer to 20....

Brenthasty said:
Trailered 1 tone of hay home for the horses yesterday with our nissan leaf. Pulled it better than a toyota truck! Surprized at how little it dropped the range on the 30 mile haul! I was expecting more like a 50% drop, it was closer to 20....

Wow, that's awesome! I've been toying with the idea of installing a hitch to tow my sunfish sailboat. Maybe if spring ever comes, I'll bite the bullet this year. Mind sharing what hitch you installed?

Aeromodded Nissan Leaf pulling a 3 point tractor scraper box on a utility trailer. Getting 3.6 mi/kwh 122 mpg @60 mph over a 100 mile average.

Leaf pulling a empty utility trailer. Getting 4.1 mi/kwh 138 mpge @60 mph over a 100 mile average.

Aeromoded nissan leaf gets 162 mpg with improved aerodynamics

What's the latest or 'consensus' on this mod? Has anyone tried to test and replicate the "findings"?

If I/we can get 10 more miles from something as simple as this, who wouldn't do it? I might even do it before deciding on whether or not to buy mine at lease end.

Is there still concern about covering the grill up in warm weather? And if so, how warm? Thanks!
TonyWilliams said:
TomT said:
I think that a more detailed and controlled test is necessary... I find it hard to believe that these two simple mods would result in a 20% improvement... Granted, the Leaf actually has fairly poor aerodynamics as shown by Car and Driver's test, but still...
If this car is in SoCal, I'm happy to participate in a detailed range test.

So far my testing hasn't shown any significant difference in efficiency since going w/the grill block. And now that it's warming up I've removed it as I notice the cooling pump running faster than it normally does.

It could be that it's the reversed fender flaps that are making most of the difference by directing air around the wheels/tires. Look at the Tesla Roadster for an example of a production vehicle with these flaps.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/Tesla_Roadster_AMI.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think adding a giant tail to reduce turbulance and removing the side mirrors would be the most beneficial.
I too thought the 20% claim was a little too good to be true. However adding a tail requires a lot of money and time and makes the car look ridiculous! I've heard from electric motorcycle people making custom tails improves range about 15%.

A full motorcycle fairing can more than double the efficiency; even with a large weight increase.

http://ecomodder.com/blog/diy-aero-fairings-honda-125cc-motorcycle-214-mpg/

I averaged 50% over the EPA Combined rating for my ICE all year round, and about half of that was from aero mods. In the summer, when warm, humid air has significantly lower drag, I typically got 75% better than the EPA rating. Ecodriving and ecomods are a great combination.

Brenthasty said:
Well the results are in, almost a full 1 mile more per KWH in my Nissan Leaf. Up from an average of 3.9 to 4.8 M/Kwh.

This was achieved by deleting the mud flaps, flipping the mudflaps from side to side and reattaching them in front of the wheels to aeromod and deflect the wind off the cheek of the tires. Along with a partial grille block and licence plate relocation. We placed the licence over the inlet left in the aerodynamic grill block, this serves to shed the wind more cleanly and block direct entrance of particles, bugs, rain ect directly into the grill and radiators. We run the tires at full sidewall pressure 45psi.

These simple improvements to the aerodynamics of the nissan leaf have added 20% in efficiency and range!
[youtube][/youtube]

I just filled my tires to the recommended 36psi (they were at 25 when I bought the car) that it stated in the door, should I go to 45psi instead ? or is 45psi for the tires that you have on your leaf ? I clicked your picture link and it didn't work for me. I just put on my front license plate, I put it higher then the front grill, as to not block the air intake, are you saying to lower it ? I'll have to look at my mud flaps and see what I can do, 20% is pretty substantial.

BrockWI said:
On the Leaf I have our grill blocked with black gaffers tape, it is similar to duct take, but doesn't leave a residue when you take it off and is more flexible, more cloth like. It is commonly used in theater and production applications.
Do you know anything about Uglu OUTDOORS Fabric tape? Same, better, or worse than gaffers? I just found this (CAMO) style on eBay, which has leaves on it, and almost want to get and use it just for that reason! :)

gaffers tape will dry out and be even more then messy than duck tape, you will be in for a nasty surpirise latter on. vinyl car wrap is about the only cheap widely available consumer product that is made to be taken off latter and endure uv sunlight and outside weather.

I just filled my tires to the recommended 36psi (they were at 25 when I bought the car) that it stated in the door, should I go to 45psi instead ?

While some people run 45 or even 50 PSI, a good compromise is to run 40 psi. This keeps you below the maximum sidewall pressure but still improves efficiency and also lightens the steering a bit.

LeftieBiker said:
While some people run 45 or even 50 PSI, a good compromise is to run 40 psi. This keeps you below the maximum sidewall pressure but still improves efficiency and also lightens the steering a bit.
I noticed when using Nissan's automatic air pressure notification system (leave the car on, start filling the tires, the hazard lights turn on, when the car gets to its ideal pressure it sounds the horn), it is set to ~38 PSI. So even without a gauge, you'll do well by using the automatic system.

mbender said:
BrockWI said:
On the Leaf I have our grill blocked with black gaffers tape, it is similar to duct take, but doesn't leave a residue when you take it off and is more flexible, more cloth like. It is commonly used in theater and production applications.
Do you know anything about Uglu OUTDOORS Fabric tape? Same, better, or worse than gaffers? I just found this (CAMO) style on eBay, which has leaves on it, and almost want to get and use it just for that reason! :)
If you just tape the grill, aren't you creating a pocket to "catch" the air, possibly making the resistance worse?
Are you all taping fully over the grill so that it's smooth all the way, flush with the bumper?
Even then, I wouldn't think the tape would have the strength to maintain that. It would become somewhat concave as the air hits it, so instead of directing the air around, it's catching it again...
Seems like you should "fill" the grill with something smooth, so the air flows around the bumper and not into it???

Looks like the OP used foam type of stuff (that's a technical description) earlier in the thread to totally fill it.

desiv

Back