62kwh Leaf Plus Efficiency Posting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will probably get the leaf spy at some point, just did my longest commute today. I go to an office some days and various job sites others. This one is 95 miles mostly highway each way. I set car to charge to full charge around 6am and started my drive soon after that.

I pretty much used the cruise set to 65 in D with eco and e pedal on. I would got way over 65 if I don't use the cruise :p

On way back I planned a stop should I need with about 50 miles left and decided to use it. I probably could have made it home with no stop but the highway rest stop had a fast DC charge point charger that for $3 put like 25 more miles of range and took about as long as it took me to walk inside use the bathroom and get a coffee. When I got home on the gauge it said I had about 20 miles of range left but based on what I have seen its more that that so likely would have been fine to keep going but wasn't that inconvenient to charge up a bit.

I pretty much used the cruise set to 65 in D with eco and e pedal on. I would got way over 65 if I don't use the cruise

Turn ePedal off for highway driving. It's for stop & go driving, and may actually be hurting your highway numbers. Try Eco mode (to limit heater draw) alone.

40 psi, d mode, eco, no e pedal and try hard to keep car from regenning with accelerator feathering. Regen is bad, unless needing to come to a stop quickly.

This evening in light sprinkle rain/snow and 37F I was still able to keep around 5 miles/kWh on 30-40mph roads. (Way better than a cold soaked 5F) the car can be quite capable.

I haven't found that I can do much better than the dumb cruise control, but can certainly out efficiency pro pilot.

Haven't submitted anything lately so

December finished at 4.00 miles/kwh but mostly boosted by a single trip of nearly 200 miles that encountered significant traffic which ended up at 4.6 miles/kwh. Traveling 1111.1 miles (no lie!) for the month made it even more signfiicant.

Jan which was much colder based on the power bill (all baseboard heat here...) had several days (unusual) I went nowhere due to a needless COVID quarantine (I wasn't sick) or drove VERY little with several days logging less than 5 miles. I ended up at 3.92 miles/kwh.

All figures based on daily readings from the trip computer and calculated efficiency of home EVSE running at 24 amps of 89%

As usual, despite 12.35 cents/kwh for all tier two (in Jan, 80% tier 2 in Dec) my per mile cost was well below 2 cents per mile mostly thanks to EVCS moving slowly thru their upgrade process to add CCS DC plugs to the network. Charging is free until that happens.

I am curious Dave how your calculations for m/kWh using actual amperage from your charging system compares with what the dashboard says for m/kWh? are they close? or is the dash mileageometer similar to the Guessometer in that they are a shot in the dark. You always manage to rack up better mileage than I am able to in the winter.

Also curious: how are the high-mileage Leaf Pluses doing? any reports of 100, 150, 200K miles?

dmacarthur said:
I am curious Dave how your calculations for m/kWh using actual amperage from your charging system compares with what the dashboard says for m/kWh? are they close? or is the dash mileageometer similar to the Guessometer in that they are a shot in the dark. You always manage to rack up better mileage than I am able to in the winter.

Also curious: how are the high-mileage Leaf Pluses doing? any reports of 100, 150, 200K miles?

I have no easy way of determining that other than long term monitoring which would mean 100% home charging which is something I have done little of. Also my efficiency numbers are "well to wheels" not "wall to wheels" which would be lower by default.

I have seen random reports of discrepancies concerning LEAF Spy's "kwh remaining" and the miles/kwh on the dash. Now, don't know if its different now but my 2011 SL had both the dash number and center screen number which did NOT match each other. The center screen iirc always seemed to be a few tenths of a kwh higher.

Now I know part of it is simply rounding errors as I have to correct for "odometer" drift. I use the trip computer for the daily logs and reset it every morning and its apparent that rounding is still significant even at the tenths level for performance and distance recorded.

By odometer drift I mean the difference between the summed daily totals and the odometer reading itself. Now rounding suggests that half the time the daily numbers would be higher, half the time, lower. Well, in over 10 years of doing this, the daily numbers have NEVER been higher...

The only way I can look at that is xx.5 can be anywhere from xx.50 to xx.59

Feb is done:

S+ 488 miles and 4 miles/kWh. About 45% freeway

SV+ 426 miles and 2.9/miles kWh. Lots of sitting around with heat on.

Fairly cold month, but days are warming now.

What has been interesting, is that the S+ has moved .01 SOH in 2 1/2 months. The SV+ has moved .04, which is still pretty good considering there was a 0.0 SoH adjustment in that period.

OldManCan said:
2022 SL+ 1947 miles driven in Jan @ 3.8 kWh average. SOH dropped from 99.22 to 98.95.

1708 miles driven in Feb @ 3.8 kWh avg. SOH dropped from 98.95 to 98.68.

Usage pattern similar from month to month and efficiency turned out exact match to last month. Mix of freeway miles (~ 60% to 70%) at or above 65 / 70 mph and rest local road driving @ max 45 mph. SoCal weather is kind on us and the LEAF.

Observation from recent 91 mile trip:
GOM guessed 3.6 miles/kWh
LeafSpy calculated to 3.93 miles/kWh

Almost all highway driving on mostly flat terrain. Fairly high side winds. No HVAC. Tires at ~ 40 psi.
Highway speed 65 mph.

I've found it's typical to have a .3-.4 miles/kWh "spread" of LS vrs GOM.

Also, when the GOM shows essentially 0 miles, LS estimates about 20 miles with 1 mile end point.

Marktm said:

Almost all highway driving on mostly flat terrain. Fairly high side winds. No HVAC. Tires at ~ 40 psi.
Highway speed 65 mph.

Also, when the GOM shows essentially 0 miles, LS estimates about 20 miles with 1 mile end point.

The ratio of energy (kWh) losses from aerodynamic drag when diving at 65 mph vs 55 is; (65/55)^2 ~= 1.4 (~40% greater).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Feb is done:

S+ 488 miles and 4 miles/kWh. About 45% freeway

SV+ 426 miles and 2.9/miles kWh. Lots of sitting around with heat on.

Fairly cold month, but days are warming now.

What has been interesting, is that the S+ has moved .01 SOH in 2 1/2 months. The SV+ has moved .04, which is still pretty good considering there was a 0.0 SoH adjustment in that period.

With adjustments, I am not sure tracking daily movements of stats is even accomplishing anything. Like yours, I see nearly no movement when the batteries stay cold (under 60º) but interestingly enough, I did two DC's in two days and yeah, I drove farther than normal for this time of year but saw a .01% drop both days. This happened after 16 days with no change and 33 days with one .01 drop.

So does this mean DC charging accelerates degradation even if batt temps never see more than 75º? I think that is possible as the heat very well could be uneven due to cell differences which means hotspots would be undetected? Just one more thing to keep an eye on ;)

lorenfb said:
Marktm said:

Highway speed 65 mph.

The ratio of energy (kWh) losses from aerodynamic drag when diving at 65 mph vs 55 is; (65/55)^2 ~= 1.4 (~40% greater).
While the calculated difference in aerodynamic drag between 55 and 65 mph might be that much when just considering the frontal area and drag coefficient, there are other factors such as how the air flows around/through the various shapes and openings in the car along with all of the other mechanical, electrical, and tire losses. If one looks at the range charts that Tony Williams put together by actually driving his 2011 at various speeds when it was new, you can see that the range at 75 mph is 70% of the range at 55 mph.

I drove 2,738 odometer miles (2,861.2 actual miles) between 1/30 and 3/7 using 1,007.75 kWh for an average of 2.72 mi/kWh (using odometer distance) or 2.84 mi/kWh with correction for odometer error. I also had a total of 5 DCQC charging sessions (2/17, 2/26, 2/27, 3/5, and 3/6) and a lot of freeway driving (about 75 mph) this month. The Hx value improved after each DCQC session while AHr and SOH values stayed the same. AHr and SOH continued their very slow decline during the month. Odometer=42,323 / 45,061; AHr=158.72 / 158.58; SOH=89.98% / 89.90%; and Hx=89.39% / 92.14% (beginning / end of month).

DougWantsALeaf said:
Gerry, if you approach 100k miles as the car hits 85% or 11 bars over 6-7 years, would you be satisfied with the car/battery performance?
Yes, I am very satisfied now and would be satisfied with car/battery performance as depicted in your question. The LEAF is a very safe, reliable car with low operating costs.

I purchased my first LEAF because it was the first mass-produced electric car available at a reasonable price that would accommodate my daily driving needs. I replaced it with the 2015 because the LEAF was still the best compromise of range/price/availability that I could purchase in Arizona at that time. The 2019 was available with light-colored interior and electric parking brake (two features of the 2011 that were not available in 2015) along with twice the horsepower, 2-1/2 times the battery capacity, and longer battery capacity warranty so I traded in the 2015.

This is a bit off-topic but a co-worker just stopped by this morning and told me his 2013 S is now over 100k miles and is still showing 11 bars. He is quite satisfied.

March data

SV+ 293 miles and 3.5 miles/kWh

S+ 312 Mike's and 5.2 miles/kWh

We had some spring days which helped efficiency. Wife still ran heat many of the days hurting her SV+ efficiency.

OldManCan said:
OldManCan said:
2022 SL+ 1947 miles driven in Jan @ 3.8 kWh average. SOH dropped from 99.22 to 98.95.

1708 miles driven in Feb @ 3.8 kWh avg. SOH dropped from 98.95 to 98.68.

Usage pattern similar from month to month and efficiency turned out exact match to last month. Mix of freeway miles (~ 60% to 70%) at or above 65 / 70 mph and rest local road driving @ max 45 mph. SoCal weather is kind on us and the LEAF.

2200 driven in Mar @ 3.7 kWh avg. SOH dropped from 98.68 to 98.43

With the spiking gas prices, I calculated by gas cost avoidance for the month a whopping $734. (comparative base being my other vehicle which is an old F150 which sat unused). Thank you Nissan LEAF!

Back