4th Grade Class gets a lesson about EVs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinMachine

Just before the holidays (school break) I went to my daughter's 4th Grade class to help them build Gingerbread houses, since I as on vacation from work anyway. While there my daughter's teacher asked me if I in fact owned a Nissan Leaf. Apparently my daughter is telling everyone within ear shot that her daddy drives and 'electric car'.

When I responded that I did in fact drive a Leaf of course her next question was how far does it go. Since I picked up the Leaf in August I have learned to answer that question by saying as far as you want it to with occasional stops to recharge. I will then explain recharging and approximate range.

Well after a 5 minute conversation with the teacher she indicated that the class is learning about batteries and electricity in their current curriculum. She asked if I would be willing to bring the Leaf to the school and allow the class to see it and then to explain how it works to the kids and take questions.

We set a date for later that week and I drove down to the school and when I got to the class I was introduced and we spent a few minutes discussing batteries and how they work. I then lead 4-6 kids out to the parking lot to the Leaf and showed them the car and all the cool things and how it charges, etc. After all the kids had seen the Leaf and asked a few questions we all went back to the class and the teacher lead the class in asking questions about EVs and how they work and why we should learn more about them and what alternative fuels are. Some of the kids asked some pretty good questions and seemed to have a good grasp on the ecology and why fossil fuels are harming the ecology. They also seemed to understand that the transition to vehicles like the Leaf would be a good thing and that it may take years to fully develop.
I was a bitsurprisedd when the teacher asked the students who would buy a Leaf or a car like a Leaf when they get older, all hands went up, even the teacher's.

Before I left one of the kids asked the teacher if she was going to buy on and she replied that she was now seriously considering it based on what I had relayed in the class.
I figure if we teach children that by using their imaginations and being creative they can solve big problems in the future and avoid the "we've always done it that way" or "it'll never work" mentality.

Hopefully one of these kids will go home and talk up their parental units about EVs and what they learned and maybe spark some interest. Well if all else fails maybe I can get a job with Nissan selling Leafs to the parents of 8-9 year olds...LOL.

I thought this may be of interest to other EV owners who's children are learning about similar subjects in school and maybe the teacher would be interested in seeing the technology up close. It's not really about the Leaf per se, but about EVs and many of the kids in the class were very excited to get to see something different and learn about it.

As a side note my older daughter in middle school told her science teacher about my bringing the Leaf into school to show and now I think I may be getting a call from the 7th grade science teacher soon.

I have been asked to demonstrate my Leaf to a group of cubscouts by a co-worker. So I'm kind of in the same boat. Obviously I know a huge amount about the Leaf and the EV industry. But I'm going to be dealing with 6 to 11 year old kids. So I have to decided what to fit in a 30 minute presentation.

She told me I should try to bring some props as the kids like to touch things.

I was wondering if I could find an EV cell or module somewhere for cheap. Even if it came from a Prius. I used to have a whole bunch but I sent them off to recycling a few years ago.

TinMachine said:
Just before the holidays (school break) I went to my daughter's 4th Grade class ...

... and now I think I may be getting a call from the 7th grade science teacher soon.
clappingemoticon.gif

adric22 said:
I have been asked to demonstrate my Leaf to a group of cubscouts by a co-worker. So I'm kind of in the same boat. Obviously I know a huge amount about the Leaf and the EV industry. But I'm going to be dealing with 6 to 11 year old kids. So I have to decided what to fit in a 30 minute presentation.

She told me I should try to bring some props as the kids like to touch things.

I was wondering if I could find an EV cell or module somewhere for cheap. Even if it came from a Prius. I used to have a whole bunch but I sent them off to recycling a few years ago.
I suggest you show them your LEAF portable EVSE. If you have the upgrade to 240V, bring some adapters.

The Tesla uses thousands of Panasonic 18650 Li Cells (18mm diameter, 65mm long). I see them on Amazon for $12 and up. A little pricey just for demo, but a possibility. Perhaps you have a similar-sized cell from a portable drill.

Perhaps you have or can borrow a Quick220. Here is a photo of my DIY unit:
IMG_9652-M.jpg

I am preparing a presentation on the status of EVs to be delivered in March at my local Sierra Club. While my pitch is for adults, some of my photos might be useful to you. Kids should enjoy big things, like DC QC. Here are a few photos:

IMG_0294-M.jpg

CHAdeMO vs SAE, credit to JeremyW:
SAEvsCHAdeMO-Plugs-M.jpg

IMG_2227-L.jpg

ksnogas2112 said:
LEAFer said:
TinMachine said:
Just before the holidays (school break) I went to my daughter's 4th Grade class ...

... and now I think I may be getting a call from the 7th grade science teacher soon.
clappingemoticon.gif

+1

+2
I agree with all of your points. I think the best thing we can do is show kids (without being preachy) that there are new, better, and smarter ways (because they also save money) of doing things so that they are not new and scary solutions when they are older. Great work!

I got my Leaf, this past June and soon after I got it, a thought struck me. I realized that my grandchildren (I have 4) will never grow up in a world thinking it's unusual or strange to own an electric car.

That's a fundamental change from my life experience and is the main reason we see any resistance to others buying an electric car. They just can't "mentally" get there so it must be some "Liberal, pot smoking, radical" messing with the way they live their life.
Because my electricity is produced by coal and nuclear power, it's no-good and not environmentally friendly. Just some more "liberal baloney" offered by a "tree hugger".

But my grandchildren love my Leaf, they fight for the right to ride with Grandma and Grandpa in the electric car.

I haven't had so much fun with a car since my first car!

The original poster has reminded me once again, those children will never live in a world with petroleum powered vehicle as their exclusive transportation choice.

Isn't that Great!

I first became aware of the possibility of owning an EV when a parent volunteered to share her EV with my fifth grade class in 2005. In hindsight I believe it must have been one of the original RAV4s. At that time our class was studying renewable resources. The students were most impressed by discovering how it plugged in and did not have a gas tank. I subsequently saw the video "Who Killed the Electric Car?" and became fascinated with the possibility of one day owning an EV. I, therefore, encourage you to accept any chance you have to spread the word. You never know whom you will be influencing.
Becky

If you are not already aware, Plug In America has many resources to help with giving presentations.

I have helped them with one Sierra Club Meeting, and represented them at several events.

So +3 thumbs up!

http://www.pluginamerica.org/take-action/promotional-materials" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back