2nd LEAF in Colorado?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AmpUpCO said:
Leaf Spotting!!!!

Colorado Leafers: While running errands with the family yesterday, my daughter spotted a lone Blue Ocean Leaf on a vehicle transport trailer heading west on County Line Road at Broadway in Littleton!!!!

Who's claiming this one? :shock:

It isn't mine. I chose Cayenne.... :D

It's probably a dealer's Leaf. My dealer down here in Colorado Springs said theirs would be available probably this evening to drive if I wanted to. I just got my VIN this weekend, but my date is still January 6, 2012. It feels like we Coloradans are finally in the home stretch for deliveries to our state. I can't wait for mine!

milanski said:
So, is anyone with Jan dates going to try and close their CO deal before Dec 31st?
While I trust that the Leaf will be fine when I get it, I'd much rather drive the specific vehicle (i have driven 2 Leafs prior) before I put my money down. Additionally, since I'm leasing, the money difference in rebate is minimul.

milanski said:
So, is anyone with Jan dates going to try and close their CO deal before Dec 31st?

After "bullet 2" of relytgerg's post, I think not. I had talked to my dealer about it, and while they didn't rule it out, they seemed pretty reluctant to do it. But buying the car but not driving it doesn't sound like putting the car "in service". Getting to inspect the car and drive it before plunking the money down seems safer as well.

In my case, it may be better anyway to take the EVSE credit and avoid AMT in 2011 and then do the (reduced) CO rebate in 2012. My EVSE install was pretty expensive - I had to upgrade service to a detached garage 100' from the house. Hopefully the Fed and CO legislatures will leave the credits as written right now. I guess we'll see. Either way, tax refund time in 2013 sure seems like a long way away to wait for that much money. :(

Yep, I'll probably wait as well.

New question: IIRC, no one knows what the State of Colorado used as a comparable ICE in 2011, although it looks like the MSRP was $21,470 (2011 SL 33,720-12,250 IPD).

What would you consider an equivalent ICE for 2012? Even the high end Versa 1.8 SL isn't expensive enough:
$37,250 (2012 Leaf SL) - 18,490 (Versa 1.8 SL) = 18,760 (2012 IPD) -7500 (FTC) = $11,260 * 0.75 = $8445 -> $6000 cap

If you can justify a 2012 equivalent ICE with an MSRP of <$24,367 (a 12,883 IPD), your 2012 rebate would be more than the $4037.50 2011 rebate, despite the drop from 85% to 75%. Maybe waiting until 2012 is a 'good' idea.

So the question is, what is an equivalent 2012 ICE (preferrably <$25k MSRP) to the 2012 Leaf SL (or SV)?

The Leaf matches the Prius in external dimensions quite well, its a HB and it has 4 doors, so price up a Prius with similar options and see what you get. Probably a Prius package 5 with nav but there are a lot of options in that package that dont match.

EdmondLeaf said:
Our goal is to promote EV and get more people to see benefit of owning one. I will be happy with every new one around, as of first kind of hard to be number 1, Nissan delivered more that 10,000.

McDavis said:
Dammit. We're third? D'oh! I was all, "Look at us, we're driving around and we're the only ones." Well, there goes that.

I meant in CO. I get the movement or I wouldn't have spent $30,000 for an electric car without the cold weather package in CO. I don't need a lecture and I don't need to be the poster child for a cause, thanks...I've done that.

For what it's worth, my partner is an environmental engineer with his PhD in Sustainable Urban Infrastructure, so this is the culmination of a dream of his. I'm just a trophy who gets to commute in it. Since we've had it for a few weeks, now I love it. It's fun, amazing and full of what's most important...GADGETS!

I've belonged to several forums over the years, the most recent for my Vespa. What ruins it are the zealots that treat whatever it is they're forumizing as a deity to be feared and worshipped. Why can't I just promote a cause by being superior, pretty and writing checks for the cause? Why do I have to take it so seriously when there are so many other people taking it WAY more seriously than they need to be?

Herm said:
The Leaf matches the Prius in external dimensions quite well, its a HB and it has 4 doors, so price up a Prius with similar options and see what you get. Probably a Prius package 5 with nav but there are a lot of options in that package that dont match.

I was thinking a comparible ICE would be all gas. Anyone else think of an ICE, gas-only hatchback that matches the Leaf in size, equipment, power, etc?

Ok, here is the latest for my delivery.... My LEAF dashboard says week of January 3rd.

Dealer (Go Nissan 104th) says that mine was put on the rail from the Los Angeles, CA port bound for Colorado on the 17th of this month. He indicates a 10 day travel to the rail designation here in CO. That makes it to the state on the 27th of this month (Dec.). He thinks it is a very strong possibility to finish the deal before year end.

So I am up for a dilemma from what I have been reading about finishing the deal this year (2011) or waiting for 2012 if the LEAF does make it here in time. Personally, I don't want to float the government(s) (Fed and State) the rebate amounts for one entire year. The other thought is that the State of Colorado Rebate will be decreasing from .85 to .75 but that might or might not mean a difference of state rebate according to what people's opinion are.

Personally, I am losing money every time I fill up at the gas station as I am 100% solar for my house. I actually over produce every month. Since I already have two gas vehicles, I will be reducing my gasoline usage substantially. I figure about $225 - $250 per month of savings.

So in the end... I am going to see what fate has it store for my decision.

Don't remember if I put this up on the forum anywhere but it's important:

I talked to my tax advisor about the Co rebate and she told me that if I plan to claim the Co rebate to get a signed letter from the deal at time of purchase explicitly stating the neither the deal nor Nissan will claim the credit.

milanski said:
My delivery date is Jan. 6 and my dealer is in Boulder. He told me today that my invoice may be on Dec. 28. Just having VIN number is not enough for close the deal. Nissan has to whole sale to dealership in order to have invoice to the ownner.

For the federal rebate, I checked on this awhile back since my Leaf probably isn't going to be here until January, but I might have the VIN in December. The instructions on Form 8936 are very clear and include:
- You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit;
- You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year;
- The original use of the vehicle began with you;
- You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale; and
- You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.

The real killer is the second bullet, "You placed the vehicle in service during the tax year." OK, maybe you could talk the bank and the dealership into closing the sale and taking your money even before it got there, but your risking significant penalties if you get audited.

In any case, good luck and enjoy the Leaf![/quote]

I just talked to my dealer. He said the "service date" is the invoice date, since the warranty......start from that date. You can buy a car and request temporarily storing at a dealership for personal need, but it's your car after you paid for. "You placed the vehicle in service during the tax year" will prevent someone only ordered the car (or even had deposit down) and trying to claim the tax credit. I think you can even regist your car with invoice, but without showing the car up. Can't you?

Xiaoyu,

montoo said:
milanski said:
I've also got a leaf coming, week of 16 jan, to boulder. I have a vin, but wasn't going to try and close the deal by dec 31st. I know the Colorado rebate drops on jan 1 from 85% to 75% of the difference with a comparable vehicle, but figured it doesn't matter because of the $6k cap. In Other words, for 2012, the leaf has to be at least $8k more than a conventional ice in Order to get the full $6k rebate.
Surely, the leaf meets that.
Is there a fault in my logic? Thanks

Here is what has been quoted in this forum before
The incremental price difference (IPD) for the Nissan leaf is $12,250, which is higher then they originally posted, so the tax credit should be turning out to be:
$12,250.00(IPD) - $7,500(FTC) = 4,750
$4,750 x 0.85 = $4,038
Your tax credit is $4,038.00

For 2012 this will go down to 4750 * 0.75 = $3562
means CO Rebate for 2012 will be $475 less than 2011.

Have you seen this document?
From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; link to the documrnt
On the forth line down: FYI Income 9 (Alternative Fuel Income Tax Credits)
On the PDF document, see the page 17 and you will find:

NIssan Leaf
2010 Leaf: Category 1
Incremental Price Difference $10,795
Tax credit available for tax years 2011 $6,000

I think Leaf's credit will be the same between 2011 tax year and 2012, due to the Incremental Price Difference is way higher than $6,000, even with 75% (2012) vs. 85% (2011)

Please note: On the same document, it tells you this credit is refundable credit !!!

I am going to Orphan my Brilliant Silver Leaf that I ordered through Go Nissan located on 104th Avenue in Northglenn, CO.

Why? I found one cheaper...

Anyway, if anyone wanted to pick it up before the end of the year... let me know and I will do what I can to assist with the dealer.

PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can chat about it if you want.

Hey Out of State Leaf buyers.....

I will be expecting my Leaf from Mossy Nissan (California) within a week and it will be coming without temporary tags. What did you have to do to get temporary tags to drive it? I have a personalized tag being made and want to at least be able to drive it.

Any help would be good help.... :D

--batzman

batzman said:
Hey Out of State Leaf buyers.....

I will be expecting my Leaf from Mossy Nissan (California) within a week and it will be coming without temporary tags. What did you have to do to get temporary tags to drive it? I have a personalized tag being made and want to at least be able to drive it.

Any help would be good help.... :D

--batzman
My Oregon LEAF came with an Oregon paper plate and I paid a small fee for a "transport permit", which enables me to drive the car in any state for a month. If you aren't getting something like that from Mossy, I suggest that you talk to someone at the place you go to license cars (in my rural county it is the County Clerk and Recorder's office). They get questions like that all the time here.

xiaoyu80305 said:
Have you seen this document?
From http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; link to the documrnt
On the forth line down: FYI Income 9 (Alternative Fuel Income Tax Credits)
On the PDF document, see the page 17 and you will find:

NIssan Leaf
2010 Leaf: Category 1
Incremental Price Difference $10,795
Tax credit available for tax years 2011 $6,000

I think Leaf's credit will be the same between 2011 tax year and 2012, due to the Incremental Price Difference is way higher than $6,000, even with 75% (2012) vs. 85% (2011)
Perhaps, but we don't know what the DOR is going to use for IPD for the 2012 model.
seeker said:
BTW, I don't know about you other guys in CO, but I have been in contact with Doty, John B. from the DOR about the CO tax rebate, and we have new numbers:
The incremental price difference (IPD) for the Nissan leaf is $12,250
, which is higher then they originally posted, so the tax credit should be turning out to be:
$12,250.00(IPD) - $7,500(FTC) = 4,750

$4,750 x 0.85 = $4,038

Your tax credit is $4,038.00

Just FYI
And, as you can see from seeker's information above, the Federal tax credit needs to be subtracted from IPD before determining the Colorado tax credit (because it reduces the "Incremental Price Difference" over the conventional fuel car). To get a full $6000 credit it appears that the IPD would need to be $14,559 in tax year 2011 and $15,500 in tax year 2012. Will it really be that high? If one doesn't qualify for the full Federal tax credit, does that change the calculation? I have no idea.
Please note: On the same document, it tells you this credit is refundable credit !!!
Yes, it is.

Be aware that the Colorado tax credit is reduced considerably if the LEAF is leased.

Thanks dgpcolorado.....

I got the information I needed.... can't wait... Sometime soon.... an organized Denver(ish) meet would be good.

Back