2015 Leaf SL CPO w/nissan certified+plus preferred covers battery!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GerryAZ said:
dakota1996 said:
I finally ran LeafSpy on this Leaf and here's what I found. With these numbers, I feel pretty good about getting my battery replaced before the extended warranty expires in 2024. Now here's where I'm getting greedy. It's even possible that I could have it replaced twice within the warranty period. Even with the Lizard battery back, it doesn't seem that the Leaf's battery hold up too well in Hawaii's climate. So if anyone in Hawaii is considering buying a Leaf, I would seriously recommend you consider leasing it instead.

https://imgur.com/BOt4npS

AHr=49.49
SOH=79.69%
Hx=62.04%

With your odometer reading, 10 capacity bars, and those AHr, SOH, and Hx numbers, you may get down to 8 capacity bars (Nissan's criteria for warranty coverage) or 70% of original capacity (terms in warranty) in time to qualify for one battery replacement. There is very little chance that a replacement battery will lose enough capacity to qualify for replacement before your warranty expires. Based upon the rate of capacity loss on my 2015 in Phoenix, I suspect it will take at least a year for you to lose enough capacity to qualify for the first replacement.

Thanks for that very insightful reply. It appears based on LeafSpy data, a 2015 Leaf in HI will lose about a bar every two years. Which makes pretty good sense since HI is not as hot as Phoenix. With the SOH at 79.69%,, I'm halfway to losing that 10th bar. So, I should be on track to get down to 8 bars in three years. Not likely I will be able to have my battery replaced twice, but very likely I'll get it replaced once. Three years is good as it still provides a reasonable buffer before the extended warranty expires in 2024 and I will still have decent capacity until then.

LeftieBiker said:
dakota1996 said:
Here all the important pages from the contract leaf https://imgur.com/gallery/quccNjU

Thanks very much! It looks like either there IS a way to get a 4 bar loser a new battery for a good price (if you live in a hot climate get a CPO Leaf only, with this warranty), or they have hidden ways of getting out of it. The only way I can see for them to do that is to test the battery right at the fourth bar loss, and hope that their test shows 70.01% or better, in which case you'd have to foot the bill for the work, and for any new battery installed. I would tentatively suggest that you wait a few months after the 4th bar vanishes from the top of the capacity display, before filing the warranty claim - as long as you won't exceed the time or mileage limits by doing so.

Since you very likely will be eligible for a new battery in the next two years or so, please keep us posted! And thanks for documenting this and informing us.

4 bars and 70% are not even close to the same. 70% happens just after the 3rd bar drops.

EVDRIVER said:
dakota1996 said:
Just purchased the above CPO vehicle and when they offered me the nissan certified+plus preferred warranty it actually included battery degradation at less that 70% capacity. I was surprised this was included. This leaf has 44k miles and only 10 bars left. What are my chances of hitting that magic 70% number by the expiration of the warranty in 2024 assuming about 10k miles year? At $2600 for the warranty, and a new battery going for about $8k, if I get a new battery out of it the warranty would be well worth it. I'd post a pic of the warranty contract but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

Which vehicle?

In the document you provided under Section 16

Contract Term

1. the combination of time and mileage shown in Section 1 determines your contract term.

a. Coverage begins on the in-service date and at zero (0) miles. The time you have selected is added to the in-service date to determine expiration date.

So tell me how this extends the 60,000 mile limitation of the original battery degradation warranty?

DaveinOlyWA said:
EVDRIVER said:
dakota1996 said:
Just purchased the above CPO vehicle and when they offered me the nissan certified+plus preferred warranty it actually included battery degradation at less that 70% capacity. I was surprised this was included. This leaf has 44k miles and only 10 bars left. What are my chances of hitting that magic 70% number by the expiration of the warranty in 2024 assuming about 10k miles year? At $2600 for the warranty, and a new battery going for about $8k, if I get a new battery out of it the warranty would be well worth it. I'd post a pic of the warranty contract but I'm not sure how to upload an image.

Which vehicle?

In the document you provided under Section 16

Contract Term

1. the combination of time and mileage shown in Section 1 determines your contract term.

a. Coverage begins on the in-service date and at zero (0) miles. The time you have selected is added to the in-service date to determine expiration date.

So tell me how this extends the 60,000 mile limitation of the original battery degradation warranty?

Easy answer. Yes, the coverage began on the original in service date and at zero miles. The extended warranty time is actually a 10yr/120k term. With 5 years already being used since it was in service, I only have until 2024 or 120k miles, whichever comes first.

Easy answer. Yes, the coverage began on the original in service date and at zero miles. The extended warranty time is actually a 10yr/120k term. With 5 years already being used since it was in service, I only have until 2024 or 120k miles, whichever comes first.

That was how the Gold Preferred warranty I bought after 3 years also worked: it was a four year plan that actually added one year to the original factory warranty. The last year I had my 2013 I just crossed my fingers and relied on the remaining powertrain warranty.

Back