2015 Leaf - heating suddenly stopped working today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluecoffee

I have a 2015 Nissan Leaf Acenta 24kWh. It is absolutely freezing in the UK at the moment, like -2°C outside.
I often pre-heat the car, but it has semed less effective recently. The normal heating has worked fine though up until today, so I have been fully powering the car up in order to heat it more effectively before driving.

Today I did the same, and it seemed to be warming up, defrosting the windscreen, but then stopped heating completely.

I've tried running the AC and HEAT buttons at the same time, or recirculating the air. Didn't make any difference to the temp in the cabin.

The car has been covered in icy snow for a few days.

Questions:

1) Is it just not heating effectively becuase it's -1° outside? (Seems unlikely to me, although its colder than it has been since I bought it).

2) Could the snow and ice aroud the area at the bottom of the windscreen where the windscreen wipers are be blocked with icy snow, causing some air inlet somewhere not to work?

3) Reading the forums, it's not clear to me whether a 2015 model has a heat pump and a conventional heater, or just a heat pump? I don't know whether my car is an S, or an SL/SV model, and I'm not sure how to find out. Does this make any difference? (I have a Chademo fast charge socket).

Any tips or advice appreciated before my fingers turn blue.

bluecoffee said:
3) Reading the forums, it's not clear to me whether a 2015 model has a heat pump and a conventional heater, or just a heat pump? I don't know whether my car is an S, or an SL/SV model, and I'm not sure how to find out. Does this make any difference? (I have a Chademo fast charge socket).

Any tips or advice appreciated before my fingers turn blue.
You can use the VIN number to find out or look at the back hatch, lower corner and look for the SV or SL letters.

The heat pump-equipped Leafs also have the resistance (aka PTC) heater. It sounds like you have a heat pump, the PTC heater has failed, and the heat pump isn't heating the car because of the low temps. My condolences.

bluecoffee said:
I have a 2015 Nissan Leaf Acenta 24kWh.

Models are different across the pond. I think that this is correct, looking at Nissan UK

https://www.nissan.co.uk/vehicles/new-vehicles/leaf.html#C402_cmp_feature_7303-modal

vs

https://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/electric-cars/leaf/specs/compare-specs.html#modelName=S|40%20kWh%20lithium-ion%20battery,SV%20PLUS|60%20kWh%20lithium-ion%20battery

Acenta -> S
Connecta -> SV
TEKNA -> SL

SL seems to be no longer sold in the USA

Back