2013 JDM LEAF photos

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
While in Japan last week I had the opportunity to see up close the 2013 LEAF in all three trim levels and examine the new power-train. Here are some photos that I thought might be of interest.
Thanks for all the great picures!
OrientExpress said:
Note the folding rearview mirror button
Those are very popular in Asia, but I don't expect to see that on the U.S. LEAFs.
TEG said:
In case anyone was wondering, that has a 100V->12V power supply in place of the regular battery.
They tend to do that on display cars left sitting in a showroom or at cars shows.
Thanks! I was wondering what that thing was!
TEG said:
I really like the idea of the round gnobs for the climate controls, but it looks like you only get those with the base model.
+1 It's not too different from the climates controls for our HCH, which we find extremely easy to operate. IOW, just the opposite of the controls on our 2011 LEAF.

TEG said:
I really like the idea of the round gnobs for the climate controls, but it looks like you only get those with the base model.
TEG said:
I think UI for big round gnobs is better for climate controls.
Is it just me? When I saw "gnobs" I thought of a cross between gnomes and goblins. :lol: But I too would rather have knobs.

Ray

You can be sure the reduction of rare-earths has little or nothing to do with being green. I'm sure it was done for cost reduction and/or supply issues.

adric22 said:
You can be sure the reduction of rare-earths has little or nothing to do with being green. I'm sure it was done for cost reduction and/or supply issues.
+1 It will be interesting to see if more electric vehicles go with induction machines like are used in the Teslas just to get away from this very issue. But I don't know if the efficiency of an electric drivetrain incorporating an induction machine can be made as efficient as one using a synchronous machine. Perhaps it can.

RegGuheert said:
adric22 said:
+1 It will be interesting to see if more electric vehicles go with induction machines like are used in the Teslas just to get away from this very issue. But I don't know if the efficiency of an electric drivetrain incorporating an induction machine can be made as efficient as one using a synchronous machine. Perhaps it can.
Given the fact that the Model S 60 kWh car is rated 95 MPGe compared to the LEAFs 99 MPGe - I suspect it can. On the highway cycle the Model S is rated at 97 MPGe compared to the LEAFs 92 MPGe. Sure - the Model S is a LOT more aerodynamic, but it's also much larger.

Put a down-sized Model S drivetrain into the LEAF and I'd bet the efficiency would be very similar...

TEG said:
I think UI for big round gnobs is better for climate controls.

The Lexus IS300 has gnobs (instead of buttons)...
josh%20is300%20dash.jpg
But the IS 300 is gone and was replaced by the IS 250 and 350 over 7 years ago, which from http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/features/interior/dualzone_automatic_climate_control.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the photo gallary at http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; doesn't have knobs. I'm not 100% sure about versions w/o nav system though.

Again the wise execs miss the real market . . . an EV model built for the world in which we drive. Just the basics, and sell for <$20K.

My Leaf is really a 40 mile x2 daily limit car (80 daily roundtrip miles) and those short drives don't need all the helps. My Leaf is a great city runabout, but on those short jaunts on familiar roads, what's the need for all the extras? A NAV system when we are restricted to driving local roads? Why all the hype about CHADeMO QC, when there are very few (2?) such charge stations in all of greater L.A., probably the biggest potential market? I need to plan a 6 hour trip, including stops to charge, just to reach the closest QC. Reminds me of all the talk of ''future cars" back in the 1950s. (Yes, I'm an old guy who remembers the promise of the future back then.) It sounded great, but I'm still waiting for that long ago future, and I'm still waiting for a true useable and efficient EV QC infrastructure.

My 2012 SL is loaded with many whiz-bang features that are fun to learn about and master. These features would really help on longer distant drives, but 20, 30 or even 40 mile (one way) daily limits are local, and mostly easy drives. All the extras aren't really needed, and each one has compounding effects on the complexity and resultant cost of what could be a simple low price EV.

I DO LOVE MY LEAF, but please, target it for what it truly is, and allow me to have a
plain but fun and low price city runabout.

SSS said:
Again the wise execs miss the real market . . . an EV model built for the world in which we drive. Just the basics, and sell for <$20K.

My Leaf is really a 40 mile x2 daily limit car (80 daily roundtrip miles) and those short drives don't need all the helps. My Leaf is a great city runabout, but on those short jaunts on familiar roads, what's the need for all the extras? A NAV system when we are restricted to driving local roads? Why all the hype about CHADeMO QC, when there are very few (2?) such charge stations in all of greater L.A., probably the biggest potential market?
I DO LOVE MY LEAF, but please, target it for what it truly is, and allow me to have a
plain but fun and low price city runabout.
Removing the nav system likely wouldn't reduce the price down to the level you want, at least not in the US. I think the reason for including the nav system standard is basically what I posted at http://priuschat.com/threads/2012-toyota-prius-plug-in-15-mile-ev-range-87-mpge-32-000.97989/page-12#post-1394503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (it's standard on the PiP, which w/o incentives and rebates, sells at a significant premium over a regular Prius.)

I think the upcoming Smart ED (http://green.autoblog.com/tag/fortwo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) would be closer to what you're looking for.

As for CHAdeMO, it being lacking in California is one issue but it's not so lacking in OR, WA, Japan and Europe.

SSS said:
.... Why all the hype about CHADeMO QC, when there are very few (2?) such charge stations in all of greater L.A., probably the biggest potential market?

I think this is short sighted. There are currently DOZENS of DC chargers planned (and funded) for the next year around Los Angeles.

SSS said:
No the execs didn't miss that "real" market. They built Mitsu i for that. You know how much that sells ...

evnow said:
SSS said:
No the execs didn't miss that "real" market. They built Mitsu i for that. You know how much that sells ...

In Japan the Mitsu i is everywhere, but urban cars just don't do well here in the US.

OrientExpress said:
While in Japan last week I had the opportunity to see up close the 2013 LEAF in all three trim levels and examine the new power-train. Here are some photos that I thought might be of interest.

13leaf15.jpg

Did they remove the trees and put something more useful on the upper dash?

New "super" Eco mode button. (now how about a "super sport" button?)

13leaf01.jpg

I really wish that the Leaf would default to what we call "Eco" mode, and have a sport button, which would activate what we now call regular drive mode. This is the way I drive my Leaf anyhow, and I think it would sell better, too. Instead of pointing a potential buyer to the Eco button, or mode, and explaining it as a "hobbled" but more energy friendly experience, Nissan would probably find it easier to say to the buyer, "If you hit the Sport button, Look Out!". It's just psychology.

SSS said:
My Leaf is really a 40 mile x2 daily limit car (80 daily roundtrip miles) and those short drives don't need all the helps. My Leaf is a great city runabout, but on those short jaunts on familiar roads, what's the need for all the extras? A NAV system when we are restricted to driving local roads?

I often think that the Leaf should have been limited to a relatively low speed of 70mph or so.. that would have reinforced the idea that it is intended to be a city car and not really a long distance hwy cruiser.. either that or something really obvious such as putting city in the name. I really doubt getting rid of nav and chademo will magically take off $18k off the price of the car, the big elephant in the tent is the battery.

rumpole said:
I really wish that the Leaf would default to what we call "Eco" mode, and have a sport button, which would activate what we now call regular drive mode. It's just psychology.

Good point, also do what Tesla does and offer normal and extended range mode, also just psychology. Little things like that make a big difference.

Herm said:
SSS said:
My Leaf is really a 40 mile x2 daily limit car (80 daily roundtrip miles) and those short drives don't need all the helps. My Leaf is a great city runabout, but on those short jaunts on familiar roads, what's the need for all the extras? A NAV system when we are restricted to driving local roads?

I often think that the Leaf should have been limited to a relatively low speed of 70mph or so.. that would have reinforced the idea that it is intended to be a city car and not really a long distance hwy cruiser.. either that or something really obvious such as putting city in the name. I really doubt getting rid of nav and chademo will magically take off $18k off the price of the car, the big elephant in the tent is the battery.

Exactly, and if they're already paying a premium, most people expect amenities.

Back