2013 JDM LEAF photos

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

While in Japan last week I had the opportunity to see up close the 2013 LEAF in all three trim levels and examine the new power-train. Here are some photos that I thought might be of interest.

Note the new unified coolant tank
13leaf12.jpg

13leaf04.jpg

13leaf05.jpg

Looking down at the AC compressor heat pump

13leaf06.jpg

13leaf08.jpg

13leaf08.jpg

13leaf10.jpg

13leaf11.jpg

New "super" Eco mode button. (now how about a "super sport" button?)

13leaf01.jpg

The black slot at the bottom of the dash is for the ETC (Electronic Toll Collection) box used in Japan.

13leaf02.jpg

This is the S trim level LEAF

13leaf03.jpg

13leaf07.jpg

13leaf13.jpg

13leaf14.jpg

13leaf15.jpg

13leaf16.jpg

13leaf17.jpg

The is the SL trim level with its Bose subwoofer in the rear hatch area.

13leaf24.jpg

13leaf18.jpg

13leaf19.jpg

Note the folding rearview mirror button

13leaf20.jpg

13leaf21.jpg

13leaf22.jpg

13leaf23.jpg

The charger connectors now have a night light (A SF BayLEAFs request)

13leaf25.jpg

The option of 360 degree cameras for safety are now available with the front camera in the charger door and the side cameras in the side mirrors.

13leaf26.jpg

Given the lack of buttons on the wheel and the apparent lack of an extra stalk, I take it that it's confirmed that cruise control won't be available on the S?

I like the S' new climate controls, with fan speed and temp on dials; one more dial so that you can control the direction of the air (instead of a mode switch which presumably cycles you through) and they'll have achieved the same eyes-free three-dial functionality that Toyotas and Hondas have had for thirty years :D

Is that a warning noise shut-off switch (presumably for non-US markets)?

That sub-woofer location on the SL ruins the utility of the cargo space, especially for anyone who regularly has to carry stuff with the seats down, or anything wet and sloppy. Dumb location.

13leaf05.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, that has a 100V->12V power supply in place of the regular battery.
They tend to do that on display cars left sitting in a showroom or at cars shows.

="OrientExpress"
While in Japan last week I had the opportunity to see up close the 2013 LEAF in all three trim levels and examine the new power-train. Here are some photos that I thought might be of interest...

Note the new unified coolant tank...

Looking down at the AC compressor heat pump...

Does the single coolant tank indicate that the waste heat from the cooling system can now be utilized for cabin heating?

Does the JDM have the heat pump, on all trim levels?

13leaf14.jpg

So the base 'S' has some sort of Pioneer double DIN NAV + audio?

Did you get a chance to compare it to the existing (Clarion?) unit we have in 2011/2012 LEAFs ?
It looks like the SL retains the GPS/NAV/Audio unit we have already.

I really like the idea of the round gnobs for the climate controls, but it looks like you only get those with the base model.

Very cool! Thanks OE!
GRA said:
Given the lack of buttons on the wheel and the apparent lack of an extra stalk, I take it that it's confirmed that cruise control won't be available on the S?
I wouldn't necessarily read into that much. It seems that cruise control isn't as common on JDM cars as in the US.

When I've looked at some cars while in Japan, IIRC, even non-econobox JDM cars didn't have it whereas it'd be pretty much standard in the US.

(Example from foggy memory: IIRC, I sat in a JDM Nissan Fairlady Z (aka 350Z here in the US, at the time) that sure didn't seem like a barebones trim level yet it had no cruise control. My former US 350Z was the Enthusiast trim (2nd from the bottom) and has CC. Only the lowest US 350Z trim (Base) didn't have CC.)

Interesting to see the Bose sub in the SL. At the SF BayLeafs meeting last year w/Kadota-san and many others, one of the requests was a better stereo, available as an option.

Remember that in the JDM market LEAF the customer can special order all sorts of different things, like radios, etc. I picked up a LEAF catalogue and it is huge with all sorts of choices. The options book alone is 12 pages long!

In fact I am pretty sure you can order your LEAF with no radio at all (at least the base model), as there is a regular and a navigation radio listed as options.

leafradios.jpeg

I think UI for big round knobs is better for climate controls.

The Lexus IS300 has knobs (instead of buttons)...
josh%20is300%20dash.jpg

OE, does it look like the model S climate controls are still available for control under carwings. I see they have an auto setting which makes it look like it's possible.

TomT said:
To me it simply says cheap, cheap, cheap! Consistent with the base S model...

TEG said:
I really like the idea of the round gnobs for the climate controls, but it looks like you only get those with the base model.

As it stands now with (high end?) button implementation consider this:

I get in the car, the CC was left at 74 degrees auto for cool morning ride. Now it's afternoon and warm enough to where I just want fan-only with outside air at a nice fan speed. Means setting temp to 60.

FIND ac on/off button among the other buttons
PRESS ac off
FIND temp up/down buttons (not FAN up/down buttons, not VOLUME up/down buttons....)
VERIFY you're touching the DOWN button....
PRESS temperature down 1 degree

pay attention to the road...........

bad pavement throws your finger off....
FIND temp up/down buttons (not FAN up/down buttons, not VOLUME up/down buttons....)

driver behind you is wondering why you've slowed down. Apply more pedal....

you don't really feel any cool air yet.............
FIND FAN up/down buttons (not TEMP up/down buttons, not VOLUME up/down buttons....)
VERIFY you're touching the UP button....

PRESS fan speed up
PRESS fan speed up
PRESS fan speed up

Welcome home! :lol:

I'd really like the cheap cheap cheap implementation here.

Nubo said:
TomT said:
To me it simply says cheap, cheap, cheap! Consistent with the base S model...

TEG said:

I get in the car, the CC was left at 74 degrees auto for cool morning ride. Now it's afternoon and warm enough to where I just want fan-only with outside air at a nice fan speed. Means setting temp to 60.

FIND ac on/off button among the other buttons
PRESS ac off

pay attention to the road...........

bad pavement throws your finger off....

driver behind you is wondering why you've slowed down. Apply more pedal....

you don't really feel any cool air yet.............
FIND FAN up/down buttons (not TEMP up/down buttons, not VOLUME up/down buttons....)
VERIFY you're touching the UP button....

PRESS fan speed up
PRESS fan speed up
PRESS fan speed up

Welcome home! :lol:

I'd really like the cheap cheap cheap implementation here.
+1----very well put. I agree wholeheartedly.

I must just be really good at it then as I can do all of that within a few seconds... And I find it far more convenient and tactile than trying to find the numbers and settings on a gnob... Now if it had multiple memories like most higher end cars such as our other vehicle, it would be so much the better and nicer, though. :lol:

Nubo said:

TomT said:
I must just be really good at it then as I can do all of that within a few seconds... And I find it far more convenient and tactile than trying to find the numbers and settings on a gnob... Now if it had multiple memories like most higher end cars such as our other vehicle, it would be so much the better and nicer, though. :lol:

Nubo said:
Can you do all these button presses without ever taking you eyes off the road? CR had an article last year about the number of steps required by various touchscreen interfaces to do various simple tasks like changing the temperature or a radio station. They were ridiculous.

Which reminds me, I love C&D's comments about the Cadillac CUE (acronym for something like Cadillac User Environment) interface. They said CUE should be renamed something like "State of the art, Haptic Infotainment Technology" for its usability.

Back