2011 LEAF won't charge - EV System Error Light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverLeaf

After 4 years and 2 months my LEAF won't charge (24,000 miles).

Took it in to Nissan and they found a failed charging system component. Estimated repair cost is $2,500. That was $2,000 for the part and approximately $500 labor.

The good news is that the entire repair is covered under the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty.

I don't recall others experiencing a similar issue.

Curious what component failed, and if that same component is in a 13 with the charger on the front stack. Also was that 8 yr /100,000 MILE warranty original Nissan warranty or an extended warranty? I see in my warranty booklet that 13 Leaf in Canada is 5 years/100,000 KMS on the EV System coverage.

I won't be able to pick up my LEAF until next Tuesday. I spoke to the dealer to get the current details. I will have more details when I get the repair invoice.

The warranty is the original manufacturer warranty, which includes 8 year or 100,000 miles on the EV System.

I'll post the full details next week.

The owner manuals that I have for both 2011 and 2015 Leafs show the EV System warranty (power train warranty) as 5 years or 60,000 miles and the battery defect warranty as 8 years or 100,000 miles. The 2015 manual also shows the battery capacity warranty as 5 years or 60,000 miles. I am also curious to find out what failed, but the price of the part leads me to suspect the onboard charger located behind/under the rear seat.

Gerry

The details of the failure are listed below

Ev charging system has open circuit in diode. Replaced on board charger assembly.

Entire repair covered under the Nissan EV System warranty of eight years or 100,000 miles.

I am quite sure all EV's have the same EV System warranty as a condition of the $7,500 federal tax credit.

Note: this is the EV System warranty, not the drive train warranty.

I was refused coverage under the warranty for the same issue. My car was past 60k but under 100k miles then. Are you sure that you are being covered under the 8 year/100k mile warranty?

Though the quote for replacing the charger was much less than yours, I inserted a diode into the pilot line instead.

Back