2011, 2012 Nissan Leaf Leasing Information

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assuming a 44% residual (12,000 miles, 39 months), and assuming $2999 down plus $7500 tax credit, we are looking at a 0.00114 money factor (or about 2.74% interest) in order to get $289/mo on the SV.

With my SV lease (43% residual, 39 months, 15,000 miles, $2999 down, price negotiated down $500 below MSRP, 6% tax), I'm looking at a lease payment of around $302/mo.
Just curious why your residual will be 43 vs 44%? The extra monthly miles on the lease? How does residual rate affect monthly rates?

Another question....Georgia has a state tax credit of $5000 available on the purchase of a ZEV, if I were to lease a car would this $5000 be available to me post lease(tax time) or would the bank own the $5000 dollar credit because it is a lease? I read somewhere that the bank would get the $5000 credit, but I doubt that is true.

I may have answered my own question, found the below info on this site http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/laws/GA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Tax Credit

An income tax credit is available to individuals who purchase or lease a new ZEV. The amount of the tax credit is 20% of the vehicle cost, up to $5,000. For the purpose of this credit, a ZEV is defined as a motor vehicle that has zero tailpipe and evaporative emissions, including a pure electric vehicle. Low-speed vehicles do not qualify for this credit. Any portion of the credit not used in the year the ZEV is purchased or leased may be carried over for up to five years. (Reference Georgia Code 48-7-40.16)

gergg said:
I may have answered my own question, found the below info on this site http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/laws/GA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) Tax Credit

An income tax credit is available to individuals who purchase or lease a new ZEV. The amount of the tax credit is 20% of the vehicle cost, up to $5,000. For the purpose of this credit, a ZEV is defined as a motor vehicle that has zero tailpipe and evaporative emissions, including a pure electric vehicle. Low-speed vehicles do not qualify for this credit. Any portion of the credit not used in the year the ZEV is purchased or leased may be carried over for up to five years. (Reference Georgia Code 48-7-40.16)

carry over?? NICE!!

gergg said:
Just curious why your residual will be 43 vs 44%? The extra monthly miles on the lease?

Yes. The residual is what Nissan thinks the car will be worth at the end of the lease. So after 39 months and 12,000 miles per year, it's worth 44% of its total price. Since I'm keeping it for 39 months and 15,000 miles per year, it's expected to be worth 43% of its price. The opposite of the residual is the depreciation. When you lease a car, you are basically taking out a loan for the depreciation of the vehicle.

gergg said:
How does residual rate affect monthly rates?

As the residual % decreases (such as the longer you lease the car, or the more miles you put on it), your monthly payments increase. The more the car depreciates during the time that you are leasing the car, the lower the residual value will be, and thus, the higher your monthly payments.

kubel said:
As the residual % decreases (such as the longer you lease the car, or the more miles you put on it), your monthly payments increase. The more the car depreciates during the time that you are leasing the car, the lower the residual value will be, and thus, the higher your monthly payments.

Albeit, over a larger number of months; therefore, not necessarily higher monthly payments, but a higher total loan amount divided equally over the term of your lease

I have tried for 3 days to understand the spreadsheet that was created and still can't for the life of me get the numbers to match up.

So can someone be so kind to help this poor soul out with a bottom line?

I'm looking to lease a '12 Leaf SL for 36mos/15k mi

Original msrp is 38,270. I am in CA, so the 7500 is included. My offer from a dealer is:

$1500 Drive off
$394.99/mo

Go for it?

Thanks in advance from a potential fellow Leaf owner! =)

mochi said:
I have tried for 3 days to understand the spreadsheet that was created and still can't for the life of me get the numbers to match up.

Original msrp is 38,270. I am in CA, so the 7500 is included. My offer from a dealer is:

$1500 Drive off
$394.99/mo

Go for it?

Why is your price so high? Won't Fontana Nissan give you an SL for $36,250?

topaz420 said:
mochi said:

$1500 Drive off
$394.99/mo

Go for it?

The discounted msrp ends up to be $35,988. And fontana is no longer doing $2k off.

mochi said:
topaz420 said:
mochi said:

$1500 Drive off
$394.99/mo

Go for it?

The discounted msrp ends up to be $35,988. And fontana is no longer doing $2k off.

Oh I was asking because you mentioned 38,270 MSRP and the Nissan site shows 37,250 MSRP

If you ask your dealer directly for the money factor/residual they will give it to you, then you can plug it into LeaseGuide calculator and get a clearer picture of your overall lease

I've read most of this thread to understand the basics of leasing. Here is the deal I'm looking at in Charlotte, NC.

Price (SL): $39,146 less $7,500 Fed Tax Credit = $31,646
Money Factor: .00071
Residual: .54 for 24 month lease and .45 for 39 month lease
Payments (24 months) (39 months)
$2,000 down; $499/mo. $409/mo.
$3,000 down; $462/mo. $382/mo.
$4,000 down; $419/mo. $359/mo.

I know the purchase price is important. The $39,146 seems high compared to other prices I've seen on the forum. What should I offer? There are about 5 Leafs on the lot now. I think they are selling slowly.

Any other thoughts on the lease terms? I'm leaning toward 24 months so I can upgrade to an improved model in 2 years.

rdt7 said:
I've read most of this thread to understand the basics of leasing. Here is the deal I'm looking at in Charlotte, NC.

I know the purchase price is important. The $39,146 seems high compared to other prices I've seen on the forum. What should I offer? There are about 5 Leafs on the lot now. I think they are selling slowly.

Any other thoughts on the lease terms? I'm leaning toward 24 months so I can upgrade to an improved model in 2 years.

i leased because i did not qualify to get full $7500 fed tax credit and to offset my MUCH higher MF, i put $10,000 down (which is supposed to be a bad idea) to lower my payments to $162 and offset the interest i would have had to pay.

i had planned to pay it off in a few months (sold my 2006 Prius in May after taking delivery jan 2011) but decided to keep the lease since the payments were not that much and it protects me. i can either buy it for about $15K plus change or turn it in for a much improved model. was also interested in what kind of batttery degradation i might see and how the winter conditions would affect range and i am pretty pleased with how things have gone thus far.

i am over 17,000 miles with no more than 2-3% degradation (could be much less than that...) and lucky enough that public charging is plentiful and still growing

rdt7 said:

Is this a pretty common deal - is this as good as it gets? I thought a few dealers were doing $5,000 off sticker? What's the best that anyone has done?

We've been impatiently waiting for a 2013 Leaf 6.6 (or FFE) and the waiting just got much harder. I don't want to seem like I'm advertising for the other car so I'll call them Brand X. Some Brand X dealers are offering new 2012 Brand X's @ 24 months, 10K miles, ZERO DOWN & $200/month!!! Dang! So now we're debating if it's worth waiting for a 2013 Leaf or if we should lease a 2012 Leaf or add a 2nd Brand X to our garage. If $2,000 down @ $409 is the "best" we can expect then the Leaf is a tough sale.

I know the 2013 Brand X is out, (and there are good leases on them as well) but it's $200/month on an EV we already know and love and 2013's improvements don't mean that much to us.

I know the 2013 Brand X is out, (and there are good leases on them as well) but it's $200/month on an EV we already know and love and 2013's improvements don't mean that much to us.
Where is this type of lease available? On a LEAF?

Any one know if we have a Leaf with the battery issue and are leasing is this a cause to be able to break the lease if it can not be resolved/Fixed!!

I was thinking if the car is not useful as is then the car is defective and I should be able to wake away on the lease.

Let me know if I am wrong.

gergg said:

Read it again... Brand X is the car he owns.

Gonewild said:
Any one know if we have a Leaf with the battery issue and are leasing is this a cause to be able to break the lease if it can not be resolved/Fixed!!

I was thinking if the car is not useful as is then the car is defective and I should be able to wake away on the lease.

Let me know if I am wrong.

How much are you down? Does the car still turn on and drive normally? Have you lost power due to the weakened battery? If not, then I would say no, as capacity isn't a warranty covered item.

The car still drives fine. BUT as you read how can they justify a 50% drop in range as normal to anybody on this earth. And force me to keep it for 3 years even thow it is useless to me other then driving to the local stores.

To save face I would think Nissan would let me out of the lease.

ztanos said:
gergg said:

Read it again... Brand X is the car he owns.
Brand X is another EV. I'm just wondering if there's a deal this good ($200/mo, 24mo, zero down) to be had on a Leaf.

Gonewild said:
The car still drives fine. BUT as you read how can they justify a 50% drop in range as normal to anybody on this earth. And force me to keep it for 3 years even thow it is useless to me other then driving to the local stores.

To save face I would think Nissan would let me out of the lease.

I agree with you 100%, it is unethical and immoral, but it isn't covered, unfortunately, until it starts to not perform.

Back