100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
Congrats to Mr. 60, Steve Richardson, from the great white north, on joining the 100 Mile Club.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/282243388457758/permalink/666118230070270/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yay, I'm #60, and according to Tony possibly the first up here in Canada, at least the first reported one. I must have been close to "empty" as I did the last 10km with the three flashing --- (LBW). Trip was from Owen Sound to Guelph, so actually an increase in elevation of about 100m - I know, nothing compared to what the California drivers encounter.

Steve

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
...If you have hidden capacity it will save some people, but there will always be some who try to push the range and come up short. Give them bars (or SoC% in flashing yellow or something) leaving no doubt they need to find a charge station soon and about how close it needs to be, and they've got no excuse. Some will still manage to strand themselves, but they won't get any sympathy if the gauges are accurate. Of course, ideally we'd have remaining capacity in kWhs as well as % SoC displayed.
We already have something even better than flashing fuel bars: the audio LBW followed by the flashing GOM number and yellow fuel icon. And that's with plenty of reserve to get home or go find a charge station. The VLBW is much the same except that the GOM (and % SOC on 2013s I believe) go to ---. Regardless of how the fuel bars are displayed, and leaving aside GIDs and aftermarket meters, there is plenty of information for the driver near the bottom of the battery charge. The new % SOC display makes the fuel bars pretty much irrelevant, for those who care to use it.

Displaying actual kWh remaining is a hard problem because it is difficult to measure accurately, as has been discussed in other threads.
Since I've now lost virtually all my high-frequency hearing and normally drive with my hearing aids turned off, my attitude towards audio alerts and warnings is different from the majority. If I can't hear them, they're no good to me :lol: I agree with you that the %SoC makes a big difference; I'd still like to have both it and the fuel bars, the bars for coarse info and a digital % for fine. Even when you're expecting and watching for it, IME it can be easy to miss exactly when the yellow fuel icon comes on in ICEs, if you're a bit zoned out. Granted, you're a lot more anxious about range in a BEV so you're more likely to be monitoring it.

Flashing warnings are much better, but judging by the number of people who can blissfully cruise along the freeway for many miles with their turn signal on, neither seeing the light or hearing the indicator, that alone may not be enough. Perhaps a color change with flashing of the speedometer readout as you reach each warning level would be best to alert people, as that's closest to people's line of sight.

GRA said:
Flashing warnings are much better, but judging by the number of people who can blissfully cruise along the freeway for many miles with their turn signal on, neither seeing the light or hearing the indicator, that alone may not be enough. Perhaps a color change with flashing of the speedometer readout as you reach each warning level would be best to alert people, as that's closest to people's line of sight.
That sounds like a good idea. Actually, anything flashing up on the eyebrow would be a good idea.

By the way, on the 2013 S model there is no audio warning, but there is the general warning light, the fuel light, the flashing GOM, and a popup that covers the Trip Computer display. (Well, technically, becomes an additional frame in the cycle of displays.) I kind of miss the sweet-sounding lady that talked to me on my 2011.

Ray

planet4ever said:
...By the way, on the 2013 S model there is no audio warning, but there is the general warning light, the fuel light, the flashing GOM, and a popup that covers the Trip Computer display. (Well, technically, becomes an additional frame in the cycle of displays.) I kind of miss the sweet-sounding lady that talked to me on my 2011.

Ray
I guess it makes sense that the S model doesn't have the audio "Low Battery Warning" since it doesn't have the Nav system that generates the audio prompts. Yet another reason to get an SV or SL.

Unless one has it covered up, it is pretty hard to miss the flashing GOM for LBW, the flashing --- for VLBW, and the big warning box on the dash. I believe that a yellow caution light goes on in the "eyebrow" display as well, although I can't remember for sure. At some point the handholding for EV drivers has to have limits.

myev said:
I must have been close to "empty" as I did the last 10km with the three flashing --- (LBW).
Steve, congrats! Based on an assumed energy economy of 8.6 km/kWh, it would appear that you were close to turtle mode. Did you notice any disappearing power bubbles?

10 km / 8.6 km/kWh = 1.16 kWh

There are about 1.3 kWh of usable energy left at VLB, when three flashing dashes appear.

11IF52X

Mr. 61 is the second known 100 Mile Club member from the Great White North.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/282243388457758/permalink/667367379945355/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dgpcolorado said:
planet4ever said:
...By the way, on the 2013 S model there is no audio warning, but there is the general warning light, the fuel light, the flashing GOM, and a popup that covers the Trip Computer display. (Well, technically, becomes an additional frame in the cycle of displays.) I kind of miss the sweet-sounding lady that talked to me on my 2011.

Ray
I guess it makes sense that the S model doesn't have the audio "Low Battery Warning" since it doesn't have the Nav system that generates the audio prompts. Yet another reason to get an SV or SL.

Unless one has it covered up, it is pretty hard to miss the flashing GOM for LBW, the flashing --- for VLBW, and the big warning box on the dash. I believe that a yellow caution light goes on in the "eyebrow" display as well, although I can't remember for sure. At some point the handholding for EV drivers has to have limits.
I like the battery SoC display (first photo) on the 500e:

http://reviews.cnet.com/coupe-hatchback/2013-fiat-500e/4505-10867_7-35791987-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has my preferred combo of a bar for coarse readings and digits for fine. I'd make the SOC% bar change to yellow at LBW (or the equivalent), and then either flashing yellow or steady red (got to be careful of the flashing rate to avoid triggering seizures in epileptics) at VLBW or equivalent, combined with audio warnings.

Well, I made it. At first, I wasn't even really trying. I started with 97%. After driving about a mile, the guess-o-meter still said 102, so I figured what the heck. I reset my trip meter and drove a couple days. Most of this was a couple round-trip commutes to work, so nothing special. Yesterday afternoon, I finally ran it down enough that it started complaining at me, but it looks like I still had a little left. The carwings app on my phone estimated 3 miles remaining when I finally plugged in. All this makes me think I might have a shot at 200km if I actually tried. :D It indicated 24.8mph average and 5.3mi/kWh.

100miles.jpg

Jbbrown9 said:
Well, I made it. At first, I wasn't even really trying. I started with 97%. After driving about a mile, the guess-o-meter still said 102, so I figured what the heck.

What the heck, indeed! It gives me great pleasure to announce Mr. 62 to the world, and bestow upon you all the rights and privileges such an appointment entails.

May you now, and forever, be known as Mr. 62. The initiation for the secret handshake shall only be completed behind closed doors and must be guarded with all due course.

One recent 100+ single-charge trip that doesn't "count", due to the elevation differential, but interesting nonetheless:

...Benefiting from the ~2,000 ft. net descent, I did the last 109.3 miles of the 154.3 mile trip from a single recharge to "100%" at the 45 mile, ~4000 ft. elevation point, I got to the Peak and back home (using only one charge bar for the 77 mile ~6,400 ft. net descent from the Peak!) with two bars left, and probably ~2 (nominal, Dash/nav screen/CarWings) kWh left before the VLBW, at the end of the trip...

Lassen Peak trip
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And another 100+ miles starting and ending at the same elevation:

My LEAF made it's 11th 100+ mile round trip, 105.1 miles to just past the VLBW on, 6/30/13.

This is a slower average-speed route than my regular range /capacity test, but it requires quite a bit of brake pedal use, particularly on the ~ 20 to 30 mph maximum speed section of old wagon roads between miles ~10 to 30, and ~70 to 90 on the return trip, so quite a lot of ascent energy is wasted in heating up the brake discs, rather than being recycled for further use.

Looks like, maybe ~8,000 ft of total ascent and descent on this route?

Most is shown on the profile below, plus that on the miles ~100 to ~98 repeated several times to initiate the VLBW, and the ~150 ft of additional descent and ascent in the ~.6 miles of my driveway that Google won't map.

Note that CarWings reported 10.5 kWh of regen (third column on 6/30 below) in addition to the 15.8 kWh from the grid, was used to fuel this trip.

As an aside, notice the butchery being done to North California's forests, the huge number of clear-cuts clearly shown in the satellite map below:

Close to 20,000 miles now, and still no significant loss of range from when I started testing with a few k miles on my LEAF ~22 months ago. I'll post more about that on the appropriate threads.

I made it!

Yesterday I drove 103.2 miles on a single charge. I and an average of 5.7 Miles/kWh and I even had 9 miles left on the GOM when I was done. I didn't have a specific destination, I just picked a relatively flat route on roads with reasonable speed limits (99W for those who know Oregon) and went for fifty miles before turning around and heading home. Mostly I was in 45mph zones but for the furthest ten miles it was 55 with nice long passing zones so I wouldn't bother too many people with my economical speeds.

I followed the speed limit when it was 40 or lower and I stayed around 40 when it was higher. I picked early morning on a holiday to have minimal traffic. I started as soon as I could safely drive with the headlights off and I didn't use the air conditioning. The outside temperature was in the mid fifties when I started and in the upper sixties when I finished It looks like I had enough power left over to make the 200km club but I hadn't considered that as a goal at the time. The biggest challenge for me was psychological, I never let my ICE vehicles get near empty so I had to overcome my personal fear of stranding myself.

I got honked at twice.

zgYkM0A.jpg

So, do I get a number in the club? I want to brag about this at the electric car meetup in downtown Portland later this month.

surfingslovak said:
myev said:
I must have been close to "empty" as I did the last 10km with the three flashing --- (LBW).
Steve, congrats! Based on an assumed energy economy of 8.6 km/kWh, it would appear that you were close to turtle mode. Did you notice any disappearing power bubbles?

10 km / 8.6 km/kWh = 1.16 kWh

There are about 1.3 kWh of usable energy left at VLB, when three flashing dashes appear.
Didn't notice anything restrictive, but I did the last few km around my neighbourhood (so not very fast), but yeah, I'm sure I was going on "fumes".

Foible said:
I made it!

Yesterday I drove 103.2 miles on a single charge....

So, do I get a number in the club? I want to brag about this at the electric car meetup in downtown Portland later this month.

Well, I'm glad you asked. We have been holding number 63 exclusively for you, so you will have to pay the small storage fees before affixing the number on your jacket. Just to be clear, it is NOT permitted to affix the numbers to undergarments (right, Mr. 36?).

Heretofore, and forever, you shall proudly be known as Mr. 63. We shall all smoke a Cuban cigar and drink a splash of bourbon in your honor this very evening.

Thank you!

Now I'm going to go look for a discrete window little sticker that says "63" so I can show the world where I rank. If I encounter a Cuban cigar in my search Tony I'm donating it to you for maintaining this list in the first place.

Foible said:
Thank you!

Now I'm going to go look for a discrete window little sticker that says "63" so I can show the world where I rank. If I encounter a Cuban cigar in my search Tony I'm donating it to you for maintaining this list in the first place.

Discrete window sticker...i like that idea. I'll have to scour the internet for a 57 or a 5 and a 7. Funny, just realized that my rank is my height, 5ft 7inches. I'll have to try for a second win at 100 to get 67.

Count me in!

100.3 miles on a single charge. Started and ended at home, traveled with myself and my wife for the entire journey, and averaged 4.7 mi/kWh. The trip started out as an 86 mi round trip journey to the outlet malls with my wife. We started with 100% charge (although the charger was still charging and maybe could have squeezed a little more juice in) and did most of the trip without climate control on (probably had it on for 20 minutes or so of driving). 60 miles of the trip was 65 mph speed limit interstate which made things difficult. There was some traffic which slowed us down a bit which helped things out. We returned home in LBW with 9 miles left on the GoM.

With that much range left I proposed we drive around neighborhood roads at about 25 mph to attempt to join the 100 mile club. We did so and hit VLBW at about 90 miles or so, pulled in the driveway with 100.3 miles and carwings app said 2 miles of range left.

Probably not going to try that again, but it's good to say we've gone 100 miles!

Mr. 65,

It gives me great please to award you full and unrestricted status to the 100 Mile Club. Shall you now, and forever, be Mr. 65.

Please don't empty the last of the club's booze without alerting the staff to replenish it.

Tony Williams
100 Mile Club Member Emeritus

CmdrThor said:
.....We did so and hit VLBW at about 90 miles or so, pulled in the driveway with 100.3 miles and carwings app said 2 miles of range left.
I did 10 mi from VLBW to turtle (freezing temps), so you were definitely getting close to the bottom. Way to go! Now, to reiterate one of Tony's points for this thread, thousands of Leafs sold, but very few have braved the "100 mile" marketing distance. Next month at two years, I'm planning another run at it to see what my battery capacity is like.

Three weeks into ownership and I can claim two trips of 100 miles or more. First trip I drove exactly 100 miles to prove it could be done. I did the second trip to see how much juice I still had after 100. Turns out I don't have the patience to take it down to turtle. 106.4 miles and still in VLB. 75-80 degree temps on relatively flat terrain, speeds mostly at 45-50 mph highway 75%, 30-35 mph city 25%. LB at 82 miles, VLB at 91 miles in 100 mile test. Didn't note battery in 106 test. Note to all: this was done in the course of driving mostly on my normal commute and errands, save for about 4 miles on the 100 mile test where I puttered around town close to home just in case I hit turtle. 2013 SL ~1100 miles with tires at sidewall max pressure of 44psi.

Mr. 65 needs some special mention because he did this with the wife in tow.. now that is a feat I will never attempt for an 100 mile journey in the Leaf.

Back