100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Don't you think you could manage to comment on one of those threads I cited above?
Please don't take it the wrong way, but could we please keep this thread on topic?

ksnogas2112 said:
Submitting for approval ... after 3 tries, 4 time's a charm. 104.2 miles on a single charge.

With the great power bequeathed me, I doth hereunto and forever shall refer to you as Mr. 57, with the full rights and privileges of said appointment.

Please try and keep your jacket pressed, proudly displaying both your 100 Mile Club membership patch and the number "57" anytime while at the club.

edatoakrun said:
My LEAF got # 10, 108.7 miles on 5/11, and # 11, 112.2 miles on 6/2, both to just past the VLBW.

Close to 19,000 miles now, and still no significant loss of range from when I stated testing with a few k miles on my LEAF 21 months ago.

I'm using the LEAF app while I drive now, with some interesting results...

Catching up from p 56 of this thread:

="edatoakrun" 110.0 odometer miles yesterday, to just past the VLBW.

That's (IIRC) my ninth 100+ mile range test, and second only to the 112.7 I got on 6/18/12, with both higher battery and ambient temps.

This trip is routine for me now, and the only noteworthy variable was the increase from ~42 lbs tire pressure to the ~46 lbs (which I added prior to my ~690 mile trip to the Bay area a few weeks back) seems to have produced ~ a 4% increase in range, more than I anticipated.

I can really seem to feel every bump in the road (~9 miles of this route is off-pavement) at that pressure, so I'm not sure whether I'll keep it that high in the future.

Still no significant loss of range for my ~17,600 mile LEAF since I began range testing in the Summer of 2011, despite the 12.65 % reported loss of capacity:

="Turbo3"

edatoakrun here is the picture I took of your battery state at Saturday's BayLeaf meeting...

p1010171o.jpg

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098&start=50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA wrote:

1)your SOC value reported here is true SOC of the pack which means nearly 100% ?

2) your increase in efficiency of 4% is not likely to be fully attributable to your TP increase.

3) sorry I dont know this but what mechanism is telling you you have a 12.65% loss?

LEAFfan
66 AH equals 100% BCAP. So Ed's car shows 87.45% CAP (top right on App screen) which is a 12.65% loss. He may lose a bar this summer.

I thought that was almost a sure thing until recently:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8765&start=270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be any more of a direct correspondence to actual capacity loss, in what the app is picking up on my LEAF, than there are from gids or capacity bars from many LEAFs when they have been tested by range or recharge capacity.

Dave, as to the large ~4% increase in range I seemed to get from higher tire pressure, remember this is a relatively slow-speed run, as are all the trips on this thread of over 100 miles on a charge. When you subtract most of the atmospheric braking from the energy use equation, the percentage of total energy lost to rolling resistance from the tires should be expected to rise proportionally, right? I believe I'm seeing a much smaller percentage increase in efficiency and range, in my (typically) higher-speed driving.

What tire pressure and what tires were you running to get 188 miles, LEAFfan?

The tires were the same as last year's efficiency rally, OEM Ecopias and one psi higher this year at 45psi. But the tire pressure isn't going to make nearly as much difference as driving techniques.

TonyWilliams said:
ksnogas2112 said:
Submitting for approval ... after 3 tries, 4 time's a charm. 104.2 miles on a single charge.

With the great power bequeathed me, I doth hereunto and forever shall refer to you as Mr. 57, with the full rights and privileges of said appointment.

Please try and keep your jacket pressed, proudly displaying both your 100 Mile Club membership patch and the number "57" anytime while at the club.

<giggles>

TonyWilliams said:
Please try and keep your jacket pressed, proudly displaying both your 100 Mile Club membership patch and the number xxxx anytime while at the club.
A Jacket huh... I thought I was spiffy in my shiny new button :cool:

Guess I'm on the hunt for a Jacket now! Maybe something in GOLD! :p

FairwoodRed said:
TonyWilliams said:
Please try and keep your jacket pressed, proudly displaying both your 100 Mile Club membership patch and the number xxxx anytime while at the club.
A Jacket huh... I thought I was spiffy in my shiny new button :cool:

Guess I'm on the hunt for a Jacket now! Maybe something in GOLD! :p

Try this one. Remember, bow ties are cool.

Attachments

• jacket.jpg
    jacket.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 85
Not sure this counts, but I did a round trip from Vancouver, WA to the end of NF-5701 (Suioxon Creek trail head US Forest Service URL) and back this weekend. The round trip there and back was on the same route. I have no idea when it griped at LBW or VLBW. Too busy driving and enjoying the view! It was in ECO - B mode. Nothing over 50 MPH, climate control off, windows open, and used cruise when possible.

Total mileage driven: 102.5
Average kWh: 4.8

IMAG0361-1.jpg

IMAG0362-1.jpg

BiosDude said:
Not sure this counts, but I did a round trip from Vancouver, WA to the end of NF-5701 (Suioxon Creek trail head US Forest Service URL) and back this weekend. The round trip there and back was on the same route. I have no idea when it griped at LBW or VLBW. Too busy driving and enjoying the view! It was in ECO - B mode. Nothing over 50 MPH, climate control off, windows open, and used cruise when possible.

Congrats on being Mr. 59 of the club. Your dues are waived for the first year, but expect them to double for next year. The Cuban cigars are hidden behind the CHAdeMO statue. Welcome aboard.

BiosDude said:

IMAG0361-1.jpg

IMAG0362-1.jpg

interesting; your battery says "zero %" but you still have one capacity bar?

DaveinOlyWA said:
It doesn't say 0%. It says "too little to measure meaningfully." Like the GOM, the SoC gauge drops to three dashes before it drops to zero. But the really important point here, that I've tried to say several times recently, is that there are no hidden charge bars in the 2013 gauge. When the last bar is gone, the battery is about as dead as the car will let it be. Those of us who grew up on "new bars" in the 2011-2012 LEAFs need to remember this when talking to people with 2013s. Nissan appears to have restored the charge bar behavior to the "old bars" as they originally existed in the earliest 2011 cars.

Ray

planet4ever said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
It doesn't say 0%. It says "too little to measure meaningfully." Like the GOM, the SoC gauge drops to three dashes before it drops to zero. But the really important point here, that I've tried to say several times recently, is that there are no hidden charge bars in the 2013 gauge. When the last bar is gone, the battery is about as dead as the car will let it be. Those of us who grew up on "new bars" in the 2011-2012 LEAFs need to remember this when talking to people with 2013s. Nissan appears to have restored the charge bar behavior to the "old bars" as they originally existed in the earliest 2011 cars.

Ray

No, the car doesn't 'die' when the last fuel bar disappears. The dash SoC% goes to -- at 6%. There's still miles left between no bars and Turtle.

LEAFfan said:
No, the car doesn't 'die' when the last fuel bar disappears. The dash SoC% goes to -- at 6%. There's still miles left between no bars and Turtle.
Thanks for the correction. As I said, I've only been below VLBW once on my 2013, and I didn't go down to Turtle. I also have never seen the last bar disappear, and I overgeneralized. What I do know is that in my 2011 I always had 1 bar at LBW and 0 bars at VLBW. In my 2013 I always have 2 bars at LBW and I had 1 bar the only time I got to VLBW.

Ray

planet4ever said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Ray

oh interesting! but I think the old way was better having the last bar disappear just at VLB was the way of saying you were on "reserve"

DaveinOlyWA said:
planet4ever said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Ray

oh interesting! but I think the old way was better having the last bar disappear just at VLB was the way of saying you were on "reserve"
I would be just the opposite. I'd want to see all my usable capacity; when I'd gotten to the last two red bars, I'd KNOW I'd be into my reserve, and how far.

Once the DTE number goes blank, the SoC% goes blank, and if you have Turbo3's App, you can watch your 'Gids. If you want to avoid Turtle which is between 8-10 'Gids, just get home or to a station before this.

GRA said:
I would be just the opposite. I'd want to see all my usable capacity; when I'd gotten to the last two red bars, I'd KNOW I'd be into my reserve, and how far.
It doesn't really make that much difference how the fuel bars are displayed since the Low Battery Warning and Very Low Battery Warning are the landmarks that matter at low charge levels. And those haven't changed, so far as I am aware. Once I hear the LBW I pay little attention to the fuel bars; what matters is that I have about 15% of charge (45 GIDs) left to play with. The 2013 models with the SOC % display make tracking fuel even easier.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
It doesn't really make that much difference how the fuel bars are displayed since the Low Battery Warning and Very Low Battery Warning are the landmarks that matter at low charge levels. And those haven't changed, so far as I am aware. Once I hear the LBW I pay little attention to the fuel bars; what matters is that I have about 15% of charge (45 GIDs) left to play with. The 2013 models with the SOC % display make tracking fuel even easier.
My attitude is, the more information I have about battery capacity, the better. And I shouldn't have to buy some aftermarket gizmo to get it. Changing to a %SoC display was a good idea, the LBW and VLBW warnings are a good idea, and displaying all capacity on the bar display is a good idea. I'll take them all - they provide multiple levels of redundancy and warning on the single most important operating limit, and for a BEV to be used by the masses without frequent stranding and the ensuing negative consumer response, I think that's critical. Once BEVs become familiar (and range increases), we can cut back on the level of info provided. You know about Gids and how they relate to LBW and VLBW, but the great unwashed won't.

If you have hidden capacity it will save some people, but there will always be some who try to push the range and come up short. Give them bars (or SoC% in flashing yellow or something) leaving no doubt they need to find a charge station soon and about how close it needs to be, and they've got no excuse. Some will still manage to strand themselves, but they won't get any sympathy if the gauges are accurate. Of course, ideally we'd have remaining capacity in kWhs as well as % SoC displayed.

GRA said:
...If you have hidden capacity it will save some people, but there will always be some who try to push the range and come up short. Give them bars (or SoC% in flashing yellow or something) leaving no doubt they need to find a charge station soon and about how close it needs to be, and they've got no excuse. Some will still manage to strand themselves, but they won't get any sympathy if the gauges are accurate. Of course, ideally we'd have remaining capacity in kWhs as well as % SoC displayed.
We already have something even better than flashing fuel bars: the audio LBW followed by the flashing GOM number and yellow fuel icon. And that's with plenty of reserve to get home or go find a charge station. The VLBW is much the same except that the GOM (and % SOC on 2013s I believe) go to ---. Regardless of how the fuel bars are displayed, and leaving aside GIDs and aftermarket meters, there is plenty of information for the driver near the bottom of the battery charge. The new % SOC display makes the fuel bars pretty much irrelevant, for those who care to use it.

Displaying actual kWh remaining is a hard problem because it is difficult to measure accurately, as has been discussed in other threads.

Congrats to Mr. 60, Steve Richardson, from the great white north, on joining the 100 Mile Club.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/282243388457758/permalink/666118230070270/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back